Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A theory of mine about console vs PC gaming...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A theory of mine about console vs PC gaming...

Ok. I'm with you guys. I totally prefer fps or rts on the pc. I have BF:Bad Company for my PS3, and as much as I actually liked much of the gameplay, I just couldn't get into the control scheme. In fact, I hate playing fps on consoles. I feel so limited with a console controller. Look at how they strip games down to make them playable on consoles. EA and others act like these dummied down fps games are exactly what players want, but in reality players aren't stupid as stupid as these companies think and would actually enjoy some more complexity.

What keeps console players from playing PC's? I think it's because it cost a whole lot more money to buy a quality gaming pc, whereas an xbox 360 or a PS3 is cheaper, easier to set up and get going, and doesn't need to be upgraded to play newer games. What keeps pc gamers from playing console games? The crappy controlling of games that would benefit greatly from more precision and more buttons. There's a reason they haven't brought WoW or any good RTS to the consoles. It'd just be impossible to play on them.

So here's where we could have a great compromise and unite both groups, which would equal huge increases in game sales. They need to create console games that use the mouse and keyboard setup. Why not make WoW for the PS3 and Xbox and package it with a zboard or something to that effect? I don't have the money to build a new computer right now, so lately I've been buying games for my PS3 instead of their PC cousins. I hate doing that really. It feels so wrong. However, with a mouse/keyboard combo, there would be no limits to what they could do with console gaming!

I know they made a mouse/keyboard combo for the PS3, but that seems to have been hushed. I can't find them anywhere. Gamestop doesn't carry them, and there doesn't seem to be any plans to come back out with them. But even if the controllers were there, the games wouldn't take advantage of them.

Could you imagine how many more subscribers Blizzard would get if they ported their games to the consoles with no compromises? I'm not talking about ports where the versions play any different than one another. I'm saying we need carbon copies of the games, with the exception of graphical capabilities of course. This could happen if only there is a real demand for it. How do you guys feel? Think it could possibly ever happen?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: A theory of mine about console vs PC gaming...

I like you ideas as well, my biggest problem with consoles is the user interface I.E. the controller. Having a keyboard and mouse available to me would be fantastic.
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I’d rather see developers release more cross-platforms titles. The debate as to whether a PC or console is better for gaming is never going to end, but that doesn’t mean the two sides shouldn’t be able to play the same title together on their preferred platforms. Microsoft has tried to get the ball rolling with titles such as Gears of War, Halo 2 and Shadowrun with little fanfare or success. However, imagine if Valve released Left 4 Dead as a cross-platform title?

Comment

Right, so maybe we're all on the same page here. But I want to go a step further than just cross platform games. I want to be able to use the control scheme of my choice on the console.

Or imagine if we could seamlessly share servers!

Comment

I really think it is more than just the control scheme. For the most part console games are designed to be less involved.

There are a number of reasons for this.

- Most console gamers are feet away. Even with a good quality TV you have to make the UI bigger and it can't contain as much information. (Unless you have a genius GUI designer and they are rare.)

Take Wow. I only have one level 40 palidin and a few other <20 characters. But to play the games without clicking myself to death I need like 3-6 addons. Even with my n52 maxed I still have to use the keyboard for additional bindings. And there is TONS of little graphics on my monitor that are not real easy to interpret at one foot, let alone 10.

- Many console gamers have to share the TV with other members of the house. So they can't play long sessions required for games like CIV 4 and WoW.

- You have to make a level playing field with consoles. I had a Dreamcast and played Ghost Recon on it with the mouse and keyboard and it was still sluggish compared to the PC. I have heard this of modern FPS for XBox and the like. The main reason is even with a keyboard and mouse most gamers are going to use a controller. If you don't dumb slow down the keyboard/mouse the controller players are going to be at a big disadvantage. Same goes for RTS.

I bet there are other reasons as well.
          I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Doesn't ps3 have USB ports? Do those allow you to hook up any usb keyboard and mouse?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
              Doesn't ps3 have USB ports? Do those allow you to hook up any usb keyboard and mouse?
              Indeed they do. I can plug pretty much any keyboard/mouse to it, but it only works for the web browser and a couple other things, but not games. :(

Comment

I think the two biggest factors in console over PC is 1. money 2. ease of partying with friends.

I play both my 360 and PC but most of my friends are strictly 360 gamers. Recently I have tried to get a few into Project Reality but found it much harder to coordinate what server to join, then hope we all get on the same team, and then on top of that the same squad. All of this hassel can usually be done in a few button clicks on a console.

However for me I prefer the PC and stick with my 360 to play with a lot of friends on Halo :)

Comment

I feel like there's more stigma attached to pc gaming than console gaming too. It is acceptable to play console games, but if you are pc gaming you are a "nerd" or "dork" or something to that effect. Just an observation. I cannot stand FPS on console though, the controllers do not allow as much precision as a mouse. The last console I bought was PS2, because PC has better games, better graphics, and better gameplay in my opinion. PC is also more expensive as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Doro9 View Post
                    I think the two biggest factors in console over PC is 1. money 2. ease of partying with friends.

I play both my 360 and PC but most of my friends are strictly 360 gamers. Recently I have tried to get a few into Project Reality but found it much harder to coordinate what server to join, then hope we all get on the same team, and then on top of that the same squad. All of this hassel can usually be done in a few button clicks on a console.

However for me I prefer the PC and stick with my 360 to play with a lot of friends on Halo :)
                    I am pretty much in the same boat. I have a 360 strictly for playing with my friends (mostly the COD series or Madden). All gaming I do by myself is on the PC. Actually, most of my friends don't even have a PC. So, for them, money is the 1 and only reason they don't game on a PC.

P.S. If I could, I would definitely hook up my mouse and keyboard to the 360. :)
                    sigpic
                    I'm Back.

Comment

Same on FPS with consoles. I really dig Gears of War 2, Killzone, and Resitence but my gosh I can not use the controller! I had heard you could use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3... is that confirmed to be not true?
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

The other factor is comfort. I think something that console gamers value, even if it's subconscious, is the fact that they can kick back on their couch or gaming chair and play. With a mouse and keyboard, you are always going to be hunched over a desk.

Also, cross-platform gaming has failed so far. The playing field will never be even if PC gamers have the articulation of a mouse while consoles only have control pads, and I don't think console gamers would adopt mouse/kb in large numbers.
                        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I remember 5 years ago or so having a discussion with a friend about how (in my opinion at the time) controllers were so much better than mouse and keyboard and he had the opposite opinion. Now we both have taken 180's and I prefer mouse and keyboard and he likes controllers.

But obviously money is a huge factor and in many cases people with better machines will win against people with average machines or with worse ping. This can make PC gaming frustrating for many people, especially the casual gamer.

Lets not forget PC games often hurt themselves by releasing with higher end specs. One of the smartest things WoW did was release a game that can run on most user's PC's rather than catering to a small market of people with high end machines. Meanwhile consoles all run on the same hardware.

With that and pirating, PC gaming on a whole is on a decline and the future is bleak. Eventually it will all be merged into one device that does TV, Web, gaming, and communication. However I hope that games that allow 64 players and real teamwork aren't forgotten along the way.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X