Deadly Plane crash near buffalo kills 49

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly Plane crash near buffalo kills 49

Authorities say 49 people are dead after a regional commuter plane, carrying at least 44 passengers and 4 crew members, crashed into a home in suburban Clarence, N.Y., near the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

State police spokeswoman Rebecca Gibbons confirmed early Friday the 48 deaths aboard Continental Connection flight 3407, operated by Manassas, Va.-based Colgan Air.

Clarence emergency control director Dave Bissonet says the crash also killed one person on the ground.

The airplane, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400, apparently was set to land on a specified runway at the airport under weather conditions that include light snow. Video from local television reports showed fire fighters battling blazes at a crash site. The flight was bound to Buffalo from Newark's Liberty International Airport.

The National Transportation Safety Board is preparing a team of investigators to leave from the Washington region at 6 a.m.

Colgan Air, is a subsidiary of Pinnacle Airlines. Colgan operates planes under the Continental Connection, United Express and US Airways Express names. It has operations in Boston, Houston, New York, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.

Sources: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021300079.html

My condolences go out to all of the families that lost love ones on the flight

Re: Deadly Plane crash near buffalo kills 49

Absolutely terrible. Apparently ice forming on the wing may have caused the plane to stall out and crash while it was coming in for a landing.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I heard about that. It was pretty insane. Plane hit a house and killed the people in it.

Comment

I heard recently on the news that the Autopilot was on when the plane crashed, which is obviously a big no-no when flying in inclement weather. Will be interesting to find out what happened in the cockpit preceding the crash though.
        sigpic
        I'm Back.

Comment

Ya, it is a terrible situation. From what I can tell (with only putting the peaces from what I hear from the media together, nothing from flight data recorders) the aircraft stalled probably due to an increase in weight, and decrease in drag due to ice build up. Since autopilot doesn't put those into account on landing speeds. (im guessing, never used a autopilot) Since the shape of the wing was changed due to the ice build up, the stall speed was changed to a higher airspeed, probably higher than what the landing speed is, therefor when the autopilot was slowing down for landing, it stalled, causing the aircraft to fall out of the sky.

If that is what happened, it is very possible that it could have been avoided by the pilot following the procedure to shut off autopilot, and adding a few extra knots to the landing speed.

I could be completely wrong on the analysis of what happened. I am only a 200 hour pilot whos only dreaming of flying something like that dash 8.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X