• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L4D Sale Saw 3000% Increase, Beat Launch Numbers

Valve: Left 4 Dead Half-price Sale Saw 3000% Increase, Beat Launch Numbers

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57308

Re: L4D Sale Saw 3000% Increase, Beat Launch Numbers

That's pretty impressive, and it was a good sale. I guess that means Valve probably won't be going out of business anytime soon.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

That's gotta be a typo... 300% maybe makes sense... but to think they sold 30-times more this weekend then they did during "launch" (whatever that means) seems like a stretch.

Either way it's good news - it means word of mouth is very positive - people are really enjoying the game and telling friends. I know that's true here - a bunch of TGers picked it up over the weekend... I realize it doesn't mean much, but it's pretty cool that the TG L4D steamgroup is up over 500 members now.

edit: ah.. after reading the source, I see it wasn't 30x more than the launch... it was 30-times more than the current, normal sales rate:

"Last weekend, Valve decided to do an experiment with Left 4 Dead. Last weekend's sale resulted in a 3000% increase over relatively flat numbers. It sold more last weekend than when it launched the game. WOW. That is unheard of in this industry. Valve beat its launch sales. Also, it snagged a 1600% increase in new customers to Steam over the baseline."

Comment

That is impressive and another fact piece to put into the side of cheaper games means more sales mean more money for the developers.

- -

Comment

But what does that tell you though? That many people held back before buying it. I did the same thing after playing the demo... told myself I would pay no more than $30.00. The half price sale was perfect (even lower than I hoped). That must have been the mindset of those 30/300/3000% (whatever the number).

With any luck... maybe this will teach Steam and other developers that a $50.00 pricetag isn't so desirable as it once was. People aren't so quick to toss out full price anymore. So maybe (just hoping here) that we'll see these release prices lower. Mount & Blade released at $39.99 and did fantastic (more than those dev's could have hoped for). Of course, it was a solid game too... but maybe these other dev's will follow in suit.
          "They laugh at the law... but they don't laugh at me."

Comment

two of my friends bought L4D so that we can play on multiplayer..
            If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

I think this number speaks more to what Punisher was saying that people aren't willing to spend $50 on games or at least on this game. I played the demo and really liked but didnt think that this game was worth more than $30-$35 because it only offered a linear, 4 person co-op gamelpay and not a very long campaign. It just didnt feel like a big game so i was surprised at the $50 price tag as im sure many others were. $50 for something like Assassins Creed, COD4, Fallout 3 to name a few seems a bit more reasonable simply because of the massive amount of content and potential unique gameplay hours. Im sorry i missed the sale but judging by the response of the price cut im sure i can expect Valve to do this agian.

Comment

You know, Tarthkin, I'd personally flip L4D and Assasins Creed, COD4, or Fallout 3 for value. I felt that COD4 was very basic and derrivitive, AC was essentially the repetition of a few basic minigames, and F3 suffered the same problems as other Bethesda titles and failed to deliver as an RPG. L4D, on the other hand, offered a very polished, very new play experience that had a great deal of value as a 'casual' shooter, in that it's flawless JIP allows the player to pop in for a few minutes or a few hours. Added to the unpredicability of the AI director, Versus mode, and the mod potential, I feel it was a very solid offering for it's price tag, at least in respect to other games that lack the consistently high quality of content.

Just my two cents.

PS - Buy Mount and Blade! Then join the forums and badger Armagan to make M&B II with Multiplayer!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X