X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Selection 3.0 Trailer

Man, this looks really nice.

Natural Selection 3.0 Trailer

I wish it did a bit more to depict the adreneline rush and sense of fear that the game inspires in its most tense moments, but I really like what they've done.

Natural Selection 3.0 development is said to be in its final beta stages now. Several regulars and supporting members at Tactical Gamer are "Constellation members," the subset of the Natural Selection game community which has donated to help support the game's creator and his game and which has traditionally been allowed access to beta builds of the recent versions of the game.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Natural Selection 3.0 Trailer

How much does it take to become a constie (I hope I didn't screw that appreviation up while trying to look like I'm "in the know"...)?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That trailer was awesome from a creative stand point, but I wish they showed more things about 3.0 =/ It got me all hyped up to play more ns though :D.

Comment

OK, I just watched it and I realized how spoiled I am by the Source engine now...

Am I correct in my belief that there are three NS type games being worked on right now? A new version for the HL engine (we just saw the trailer for it...), a version for the Source engine and a version/sequel on it's own, new engine?
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Wellll... no development has been announced on the new game, to my knowledge. I mean.. they're courting VC, but they don't have a development team in place. I'm not even sure they have a street address yet..... but what the hell do I know? I do understand Flayra (created NS; owns Unknown Worlds Entertainment, the company which will create NS' sequel) has done a fair bit of design work on the game, though.

They won't confirm NSS, but it's all over the place if you read the forums (I'm talking about posts from the dev and PR teams, not random players).

And yes, NS 3.0 is nearing completion. 3.0 final will bring some nice (really nice, actually) corrections/addons to the 3.0 betas we've been playing for so long now (beta5 is on TG's NS server), but it's nothing ground-breaking. Yes, the game itself is ground breaking if you're coming to it new from other mods, but moving from beta5 to beta6 will be nothing ground breaking.

And, frankly, I've yet to read why going from NS to NSS would be any more groundbreaking than going from CS to CSS. However, just as NS does MUCH more impressive things with the HL engine than does CS, I'm SURE that NSS would take Source to levels we've not seen from CSS.

At the same time that NS has pushed the HL engine to its very limits, it has nevertheless been held back by it. Seeing the game model applied to the Source engine would be very satisfying I'm sure.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

How do you become a Constellation Member?
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

^On their main webpage I beleive naturalselection.com there is a link for it. I believe you can give however much you want.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

You give me $300 and I handle everything for you.

or you go to naturalselection.com with Mr. Jackson and click on donate

Comment

How does NS differ than CS? I've never played NS so I really have no idea what the hype is about.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

There is nothing similar between the two, other than that they are both FPS games.

NS is all about teamwork. It is far more strategic than CS. One side is the alien side (with many lifeforms), and the other are the Marines, with a commander guiding them.

Truly a great game.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                      There is nothing similar between the two, other than that they are both FPS games.
                      In fact, I would say that even that much is not so much a similarity as a common element. NS's gameplay has more in common with an RTS than an FPS. NS is an RTS where each unit is actually controlled by a player, which means their own skills, resourcefulness, and willingness to obey orders come into play. Marines have a commander (playing him is very much like playing an RTS) who gives orders to his marines to build structures, move to locations, capture resources, etc. Aliens have no central authority and operate independently, with the ability to gestate to other types of lifeforms in order to attack, defend, build structures, or support other lifeforms.

That said, the best way to get a feel for it is to download the client and try it out!

Oh yeah, this said, there are two modes of gameplay in NS, the first, original one follows the description I've given above- these are distinguished by maps whose names start with ns_ (such as ns_origin, ns_bast, etc). The other mode of gameplay, called "combat", was introduced recently and has much more in common with CS and FPSes in general- these are distinguished by maps whose names start with co_ (such as co_faceoff, etc).
                      Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                        How does NS differ than CS? I've never played NS so I really have no idea what the hype is about.
                        The proper question would be "How does NS not differ from CS?

For all but one player in an NS game, the game is played from the first person perspective, like CS. (The last person is the marine commander, who looks at the map top-down.)
                        Half the players in NS will be shooting a gun and carrying a knife, like CS. (The marines: the aliens have various other attacks, few of which involve projectiles.)
                        Running off alone in NS is usually a bad idea, like CS.
                        Both NS and CS are team-based multiplayer mods for HL.

I'd say the similarities stop there for NS maps; for Combat, there are probably a few more, given the general lack of objectives for a combat game. For most, Combat is where you practice the martial aspects of NS, and a nice diversion if there aren't many players on the server.

If you want a walkthrough, DL the client and hook up with me. The way I first got into NS was someone kind enough to explain what everything was while we were the only two on the server; that's a favor I'd love to pay forward as much as possible.
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Wow... where to start. Having played CSS a lot lately, I played NS again for the first time in about a week (which is saying something since I'm the game's Game Officer at TG). At one point during the game, the marines managed a well-established siege encampment just outside on of our two bases (or "hives," since I was an alien). The level of team coordination that it took for us to fight that back and re-claim the area (and therefore save our home) was, as the kiddies would say, CRAZY WHACK MAD. That battle alone took more time than most rounds on the CS server, and it was blood-pumping crazy the whole time. I thought we were going to lose that area of the map, but we brought the teamwork to the mat and kept our home. It was amazing. I was really proud of my team.

In CS, it's exciting if your team rounds the corner after a well-timed flash grenade and wipes out the opposition. Now imagine the satisfaction that would come from coordinating six different classes of grenades, and weapons, each with its own unique offering in combat tactics. Now imagine those weapons being used from several different key locations to maximize their impact. Such accomplishments are possibly demanded by CS gameplay and commonly demanded by NS gameplay. Imagine using the ENTIRE MAP in a game (lol ok that wasn't fair). One of the greatest things I've come to discover in CSS is the appreciation it gives me for NS. :)

Natural Selection is a hybrid of the RTS and FPS online multiplayer gaming genres. You get all the skill and FPS coordination (more, frankly) of CS. But while all of THAT is going on (with multiple player classes, multiple weapons per class, and multiple roles per weapon), your entire team has to be managing REAL TIME STRATEGY. And when I say "team," I mean it.

In CS, and PCS, one player is often very empowered to shift the balance of the gameplay. Such happens in NS rarely enough that it doesn't even deserve mention. You work with your team. Your team works together or it dies.

There are two teams: marines and aliens. All players in the game, on both teams, are on the ground and see the game from a first-person view. The ONLY exception to this is the role of "the Commander," which is filled by one (and only one) marine player. This player sees the game from a top-down view (a la war2, war3, c&c, civ, etc) and literally and in real time commands the other humans playing on the marine team. He starts the game in this role and proceeds doing this for the duration of the game.

The aliens have no such commander (though, much like on a T team without a "commander," it's common that one or more trusted players will assume a leadership role from the ground), but instead are given accommodations by the game's design which allow them to communicate information quickly and easily.

Tactical Gamer is blessed to have several offerings for several different types of players. Ghost Recon for your slower players, CS for players who like things a bit faster, JO for those who like it just a little bit faster, and NS for players who want the heat and want it now. Some folks look at "fast" like my grandmother looks at "rock and roll," but I've learned something after playing here for over two years: "fast" does not oppose team or objective. As a matter of fact, it can be quite the opposite. Team and objective, I've found, are more and more satisfying the more and more obstacles you overcome using them. Only in NS have I found the level of teamplay and coordinated objectives that the game offers. At TG (as opposed to most public servers), the game takes on its truest and most admirable form (competitive play, of course, is a whole 'nother level).

It's REALLY easy to get turned off from NS early because people can get kinda snippy when things are moving so, so fast and you're busy just trying to figure out which way is up, much less figuring out how and when to apply to teamplay an entire tech tree you don't even know yet. The key to starting any game which is already well-established at TG is letting the playerbase of that game know you're new and need help. NS is no exception, but it's easier in NS (than in some other games at TG) to NOT get your "hey, I'm new" message across to players because everything there is much faster paced. If people understand you're new, they'll help you out.

Originally posted by Pokerface
                          If you want a walkthrough, DL the client and hook up with me. The way I first got into NS was someone kind enough to explain what everything was while we were the only two on the server; that's a favor I'd love to pay forward as much as possible.
                          You know, come to think of it, HLTV would be a great resource for someone wanting to learn NS. You can observe some games (big ones, too) before actually playing. Other TG folks could even spectate at the same time to help narrate.

(As others have stated: there's also a "combat" gameplay mode. I'm not a big fan of it. It's something tolerable to do until enough people gather for a quality game of the the classic "NS" gameplay mode.)

Comment

Very good writeup Wyz!

One thing I must take exception with though..

In CS, and PCS, one player is often very empowered to shift the balance of the gameplay. Such happens in NS rarely enough that it doesn't even deserve mention.
                            The uber fade is the primary reason that I stopped playing NS. Let it be clear that one person can, once he goes fade, go on to kill 50 or more marines without dying a single time. I consider this a major shift in the balance of gameplay, so much so that when it happens, I am so disgusted with the game that I stop playing entirely. I know it does not happen all the time, but when it does, it really sours the game for everyone.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Combat is the fy_iceworld of NS.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse