No announcement yet.

10 classic videogame glitches that actually made their respective games better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 classic videogame glitches that actually made their respective games better

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/...-be-right.aspx

Game writers love to whine about glitches. We blame hurried development schedules, the luxury of patching, overly complex code -- but honestly, we're not sure why games are buggy. The only thing we know for certain is that things used to be different, dad-gummit.

The thing is, gaming history is full of glitches. They're nothing new. Combine human nature with code more than a few lines long, and you're going to get mistakes. In the happiest cases, though, programming errors actually make the games better than they would have been in a "perfect" state. Don't call them bugs. They're features.
    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Re: 10 classic videogame glitches that actually made their respective games better

no BxB from Halo 2?

Comment

Re: 10 classic videogame glitches that actually made their respective games better

Not that this is a Glitch... But does anyone remember the QUAKE DEMO disk that ID software put out which contained QUAKE (a new release at the time) and all of their other titles. All were full versions but had some sort of Lock on them. Some dude kicked out a Crack and it opened up the $5.00 demo disk with all of the Full games. this was back in the Mid 90's ..but how many folks got into MultiPlayer Gaming due to that "DEMO" disk... ehem... ??
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Strafe jumping?

Comment

The Goldeneye glitch is priceless.

Comment

Psycho Cyan FTW!

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

The Goldeneye and Final Fantasy ones were cool.

Comment

Thats not the Goldeneye glitch I was thinking of....

Floating proximity mines anyone ?
                Dizlor

Comment

I remember this one glitch or something where my friend turned three cheats on and went to this one level in Goldeneye. There was this helicopter and when James grabbed it to escape, he flew in the air super-fast while the chopper slowly followed him.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

those are really helpful glitches.. some that i dont know about.. it is ok to try it in an emulator?
                    If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

My all time favorite is the psychotic cannibal fascist elves from Dwarf Fortress.

A couple of months ago Toady got some of the tags that control civilization behavior mixed up. Elves went from being largely useless hippies that didn't really bother anyone to psychotic, flesh eating monsters that would happily make war on any civilization other than there own.

Add to this that the birth rate for Elves got knocked up to more or less normal rates for humans, and that Elves live for thousands of years, and you suddenly had a problem. Every time an elf survived a battle they'd carry on their skills for thousands of years after, while the great heroes of lesser races aged and died. Generally, the elves would over run most of the world with huge numbers of skilled fighters, cutting down their enemies and Devouring the on the spot!

It was, without a doubt, one of the coolest 'Features' in the history of gaming.

Comment

Skiing in Starsiege: Tribes. In a game that gives you a jetpack and anticipates short hops across the terrain, someone figured out that by repeatedly hitting the space bar you can 'ski' down slopes, achieve incredible speeds, and then carry that momentum into a vertical jump for incredible mobility. Once players combined skiing with combat the game was entirely revolutionized from an 'ooh, neato feature' Quake knock-off to a 'Holy Jesus I just captured the flag at 300 kph' with players fighting in a hybrid of infantry and fighter plane tactics. Truely phenominal.

By the sequel the developers realized too many spacebars were being smashed to pieces and simplified skiing. One only has to hold down the button to slide in Tribes 2.

Care to see what this is like? Tribesnext.com provides you with the FULL GAME absolutely free and almost certainly in full legality. The game is presently enjoying a rebirth of players and I cordially invite Tactical Gamers to join.

Its a little like Team Fortress 2. At 150 miles an hour, on a roller coaster, across 16square kilometers, with a rocket strapped to your back.

Comment

hehe
                          |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                          BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                          Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikov View Post
                            Skiing in Starsiege: Tribes. In a game that gives you a jetpack and anticipates short hops across the terrain, someone figured out that by repeatedly hitting the space bar you can 'ski' down slopes, achieve incredible speeds, and then carry that momentum into a vertical jump for incredible mobility. Once players combined skiing with combat the game was entirely revolutionized from an 'ooh, neato feature' Quake knock-off to a 'Holy Jesus I just captured the flag at 300 kph' with players fighting in a hybrid of infantry and fighter plane tactics. Truely phenominal.

By the sequel the developers realized too many spacebars were being smashed to pieces and simplified skiing. One only has to hold down the button to slide in Tribes 2.

Care to see what this is like? Tribesnext.com provides you with the FULL GAME absolutely free and almost certainly in full legality. The game is presently enjoying a rebirth of players and I cordially invite Tactical Gamers to join.

Its a little like Team Fortress 2. At 150 miles an hour, on a roller coaster, across 16square kilometers, with a rocket strapped to your back.
                            The manual said something about holding space to ski.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X