Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmen.....

I just saw a preview screening.......

I will not throw out any spoilers, but for the first time in a longggggggg time, I enjoyed the trailers more than the film itself! It's a long film and if you like your films to jump from the present to the past to the present to the past, then you may like it, me...not so much.

This certainly is not the Dark Knight, nor is it 300 which I enjoyed a great deal more. But it does have some pretty dark thoughts and "what if's" in the film and some effects are very good......

However...there is just a tad too much "blue penis" on display for my liking! I'll leave that there!

It does get better as the film goes on...just wait about an hour for it really to start to deepen as a plot.

Oh...and the lead chick is pretty hot in her PVC knee length boots and stockings......

But overall.....me personally, disappointed. Oh and the "MUSE" and "Smashing Pumpkins" track they play in the trailers.....not at all in the film!! :(

But I am sure some may like it a lot!
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Watchmen.....

If you've read the graphic novel (comic) it is based on, then it does take a while to develop. the beginning is mainly one guy going around talking to some retired heros trying to figure out who killed someone. Lots of flashbacks explaining relationships and the like. I'm looking forward to seeing it. A group of stay at home dads are seeing it at midnight!
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Had you read the graphic novel before you saw the film? The Novel isn't really an action story, which is how they seem to be promoting this. It's more of a whodunnit that happens to involve people in costumes, and a critical examination of what 'Super Heroes' would actually mean to the world if we had any kicking around.

Comment

It's a hard novel to translate to the big screen. It certainly has captured the look of the comic but from the reviews I'm reading not the soul. I plan on seeing it regardless though.
        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
        - Check me out on The Onion
        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
          Had you read the graphic novel before you saw the film? The Novel isn't really an action story, which is how they seem to be promoting this. It's more of a whodunnit that happens to involve people in costumes, and a critical examination of what 'Super Heroes' would actually mean to the world if we had any kicking around.
          That sounds promising. I get very bored with action for the sake of action. I found much of the Matrix series irritating. I'd rather see character development and explanations of the rules of the story universe.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

No I had not read the novel and I suspect those of you that have may enjoy it a great deal more. It certainly dawned on me halfway through the film that this was more "Dick Tracy" Detective style using the character Rorshack as the Detective, to try and work out "what he had to work out!!" ;)

It will be interesting to see what people think, who have read the book.

But the nail was hit firmly on the head above with regards to "HOW" this film is being presented. Certainly the trailers make it seem a great deal more "typical" comic, action movie, than it actually is.

This is where I believe film studios execs sometimes get their promotion wrong. I suspect purely as a result of how they made their trailers, tere will be more disappointed with the movie than those who really liked it, purely based on their expectation of what they had seen in the trailer's.

I felt they could have cut an hour out of this film and it really would not have made a huge difference to the end article.

But....everyones views are different.
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I watched this today and loved it. Really great writing and ofcourse the comic lore is pure genious.

- -

Comment

I feel like seeing this, but I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                  But....everyones views are different.
                  You should check out the graphic novel if you get a chance. It's a really great story, and it's full of little bits and pieces that jump out of the background if you go back for a re-read.

Comment

I have heard that the movie is pretty true to the graphic novel. Most of the criticism is exactly that. Not that the graphic novel is bad but that you have to adapt the static to the moving picture. Movies are a few hours long. A novel can take as long as one likes.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Movie feels like 300, just much less epic.

Comment

I thought it was extremely epic. Maybe a little bit to much for it's own good. I saw a midnight show and enjoyed the movie, but not the atmosphere. Way to many to watch a movie with especially the typical guy beside leaning on me the whole show.

Anyways, I'd recommend a watch. If you're not a fan of the novel, grab a matinee ticket. It's worth it for the special effect and seeing Malin Ackerman in the Silk Spectre costume if nothing else.

I'm dying to see the DVD cut. They had to cut a little less than an hour out of the theatrical cut because of the studio. Even with that, there really wasn't much left out IMO. The only thing I wish they would have gone into was how society was really cracking towards the end.
                        Last edited by Spyder228; 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Part of the problem with the trailers might be that Watchmen is essentially a deconstruction and, in a few places, a parody of the standard superhero mythos rather than a retelling of it. The trailers really fail to show that.
                          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. A lot. The ideas of alternate realities and people with special powers were amazing. Great effects (except for that fakey looking tiger thing) and great story. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes superhero movies. Just don't expect it to be ANYTHING like the stupid trailers portrayed it as being. The movie was good, but the trailers were misleading, indeed.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Opening credits = best I've seen in some time.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X