• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid Steam Games Scam Sites

Avoid Steam Games Scam Sites

PCWorld Staff

Mar 2, 2009 1:02 pm

Steam, a digital distribution platform for PC games, does away with the need to keep old installation cd's around. I've used it for a few games myself. But as Christopher Boyd at the SpywareGuide blog points out, if someone lifts your username and password, it's the equivalent of someone walking off with all your game cd's.

Boyd describes a couple of scams that attempt to do just that. The first scam uses a site that looks much like the regular steam site, and uses the lure of a free gift pack of games to draw you into entering your username and password. A classic phishing scam, with some pretty good-sounding bait on the hook.

The second, related scam uses another classic phishing tactic, and this time attempts to scare visitors into believing their account must be verified or be permanently disabled. According to Boyd, the scams are being hyped on YouTube (and also getting a heartening batch of scathing responses).

Games have been a popular target for digital thieves for some time. There's real value, as thieves can make quick money by selling stolen online currency from some games, or stolen accounts chock-full of downloadable games. And it's low risk, because you don't have the same kind of security in place to protect games as for a credit card account, for instance. So if you're a gamer, it's a good idea to be just as careful with your game account logins as your banking credentials. They're just as much of a target.

Re: Avoid Steam Games Scam Sites

Basically Valve isn't going to be needing your account login/password information, and really won't be interacting with you unless YOU initiate it. No matter how "official" it looks via email or whatever, just don't do it. This should be basic by now but you never know.
    "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
    -- Red Forman

Comment

I'm kinda surprised they havn't let people create a second set of login info for the community site. It's staggering how many people lose their account info from logging in to fake steamcommunity.com sites.

The only place you should ever use your Steam login info is on the login screen for the actual application.

Comment

Now a days... you need to be about a retard to give anyone your password. It's been long known to mostly everyone that you will never be asked for login information EVER. If someone goes to a website and tries to "get" a game and it's not the official Steam store... you deserve what you get. :P

I feel sorry for absolutely NO ONE who brings it upon themselves and cries about it later. I do however hate when spyware or other such loggers get onto your computer by way of a demo download or something that should be legitimate... but the user pays for it in return by losing their personal information. That garbage needs to stop. But to visit a site that is clearly not attached to the Steam client... sorry, I don't feel bad for you.
        "They laugh at the law... but they don't laugh at me."

Comment

What secures your password in the Steam client? What keeps a keylogger virus from stealing your credentials? (I ask because this is a common problem in the WoW community.)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Stealing is so unTG-like.

Comment

I love the comic Least I could Do. The current mini-story is about 2 guys going to nigeria to find that princess who needs to give money. They find a spam-place nad blow it up, using explosive spam of course.
              "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
              Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...