New game/experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New game/experience

Well, i find myself stuck in a little pickle. I am currently looking for a new game to play and i have no idea what is coming out/what is still popular. I usually find myself playing fps/shooters, and i would like to play something that is different from that. I would like to find a game that is unique and is a new experience that i will hopefully enjoy. The games i currently occupy are:

Battlefield 2
    Battlefield 2142
    Call of Duty 4
    Left 4 Dead
    Guild Wars

Does anyone have any ideas? (and sorry if this doesn't really fit in this part of the forums. I couldn't find a better spot because its not really a review or anything that is up). Thank you very much in advance.

Re: New game/experience

Have you ever played Portal? If not, I highly suggest it. It is very unique and one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm not sure what platforms you're able to game on, but I highly recommend:

RPG: Fallout 3 (PC, x360, PS3), Mass Effect (PC, x360)
      Puzzle: Braid (x360 ARCADE)
      Action: GTA IV (PC, x360, PS3)
      Adventure: The Longest Journey "1" (PC)

Comment

Team Fortress 2 is always an option. However, how much fun you have depends on the server you go onto.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

There's a bunch of good Strategy games out there. I recommend Empire: Total War, Dawn of War 2 for your normal fun skirmishing and stuff, and Sins of a Solar Empire if you have way too much time in your hands.

|TG-Irr|JamesTerror

Comment

Hmmm, A game I would suggest that is not FPS is:

EVE

http://www.eveonline.com/

and I would have to agree with one game that Rogue listed:

Mass Effect for PC although I played it on Xbox. Was really good!

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

Well, keep us updated. :D
            |TG-8th| LATINA

[conduct][medic]

:icon14: :icon1: :icon_bigg

Comment

To answer to RougeTheory, i currently play games on my computer. Hence the BF2, BF2142, and Guild Wars. But i just want a game that isn't another shooter or something, or if it is, is an interesting one that feels different, but is still fun.

@War.mongeR: Ya i have played portal. My neighbor has an xbox and i played it all night once there. It was a pretty cool game, but i didn't feel that it would have much replay-ability.

@Latina: I saw that. I was looking at the games that TG supports, and i saw EVE and also saw the new one on steam. So i got the trial and played it for a little bit over half an hour last night, and it was really confusing i felt. The tutorial made it even more confusing almost. I thought i got used to it, but then they threw in a whole new aspect which made it felt too advanced. I was having too much trouble controlling the menu too. At one point, i left the dock and i was like "Okay, now i just need to go shoot something probably" but it ended up i still had 10+ little menu's on my screen that i had to navigate through. It could be a cool game if i get used to it though maybe.

I guess i'm looking for a game where it isn't too super complicated where i am killing myself, but a game where i can get on and do stuff when i have like 10 minutes, or when i have a whole night and can plan to do a bunch of stuff. I know in the past i have played other games i have not listed that are free on the internet, like when i was around 10ish, i played Maple Story for around a year or two (fyi: it is an mmorpg by Nexon).
              Last edited by twiddilywink; 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: To answer to Latina Reason 2: Add on

Comment

Try Company of Heroes. Best RTS I've ever played. I think you can get it for like $20 bucks for the game + expansion on Steam, probably cheaper from Amazon. It has 3 good single player campaigns, which you can save anytime so you can pick it up and put it down in short bursts. Online matches usually last between 15 minutes and an hour, depending on the number of players, the map, and whether someone gets dominated.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                  Try Company of Heroes. Best RTS I've ever played. I think you can get it for like $20 bucks for the game + expansion on Steam, probably cheaper from Amazon. It has 3 good single player campaigns, which you can save anytime so you can pick it up and put it down in short bursts. Online matches usually last between 15 minutes and an hour, depending on the number of players, the map, and whether someone gets dominated.
                  Well i watched some videos, and the game looks pretty cool. So help me with this part though. A while ago, i went to the neighbors and i saw him play Command and Conquer 3. So is it kinda like that but WWII? Where you start by making a base, then you make an army, then you try to take the enemy land?

Comment

I would suggest trying out the Total War series, in-particular Medieval II (few years ago) and Empire (released this year). Look into them, they are great great fun! Online is pretty fun also (I know that from lots of experience!)
                    |TG-Irr| EmperorMustard

Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually an Emperor, or a Condiment.

Men should either be treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injures - for heavy ones they cannot. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

I would throw another vote in for Team Fortress 2. Although its not supported by the TG community any longer, there are still many servers that can provide endless hours of fun. Heck, even when I'm not on my computer I have it form the XBox 360 (for retro purposes - the game there is what it was upon initial release save bug fixes).
                      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                      -- Red Forman

Comment

I was going to suggest TF2 in my previous post as well, but I noticed:

Originally posted by twiddlywink
                        I usually find myself playing fps/shooters, and i would like to play something that is different from that.

Comment

coh is more similar to DOW than red alert 3 in the sence that you have to capture points on the map to boost your fuel/ammo count. i would suggest it tho, great fun. also get oppsosing front aswell so you get 3 campaigns instead of just 1

Comment

If you have any steam engine games you could try downloading Age of Chivalry. It's a free mod, and it's based around a pretty solid melee combat system. Lot's of knights with great honking swords running around chopping bits off of each other.

COH is different from most previous RTS games in that it encourages a much higher degree of tactics. The facing of a tank matters, with the front armor taking much less damage, so if you can get your AT guns and bazooka troops into the enemies rear arc you can take them apart. Which also means that cooperation between infantry and armor becomes really important. And if the enemy has a road locked down with AT guns and machineguns sometimes the only thing to do is call in long range artillery or send in paratroopers behind him. A rifle squad in cover can decimate a couple of enemy squads moving in the open, and one engineer laid minefield can blow a tank to pieces. That same tank could take out dozens of infantrymen in open fighting, overrunning their defensive positions and cutting them down with it's machineguns.

COH is a lot of fun. It's a great example of a game doing something new, instead of rehashing the genre one more time.

Comment

Frank said it right about CoH.

Also, there's very little base building. You don't need to build base defenses or anything like that. In fact, it's foolish to turtle in your base in this game.
                              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X