Draining the yard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining the yard

The slope of my back yard, if any, can't be more than 1 or 2 degrees. It collects water when it rains. That water makes the yard very difficult to enjoy, as the spongy nature of the ground means you don't get much resistance when you're trying to move across it -- you sort of sink a bit with every step. You get muddy and you tear up the yard. This effect can last for several days after even a moderate pouring of rain.

I need to beat this problem without affecting the appearance of the yard.

The only solution I'm aware of that meets that requirement is french drains, which are very expensive.

Has anyone had any experience with french drains? What about in a slope as negligible as mine? Was the project a success?

Any thoughts anyone has are welcomed.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Draining the yard

My parents installed a french drain in their front yard and it took away the sogginess wonderfully. It wasn't at all expensive, either, unless you're referring to the labor. I was most of their labor... You do have to have a place for the french drain to run, though. Is there a well drained area near the lower portion of your yard for the french drain to run out to?

I'm disappointed that this isn't another beer thread, though...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would save your back and just rent the Equipment ( a small excavator /6-8 in bucket should do it... Maybe take a couple of days... But the key is where the water is going after you get it out of your yard... hopefully into the abandoned Field next door (oops.. that might be against code.. ;-) )
      I'm sure there is lots of stuff on the net about French drains.. It's not Brain surgery.. Gravel, Pipe Gravel... It's just who is going to inherit the water from your yard..and wht you are going to do with your nice new dry backyard... (Besides Mow it..)
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The drains will lead to an underground solid pipe, which will carry the water to the street in front of the house.

I'm the last person you want working machinery or manipulating earth, but maybe I should consider that.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Cing was right. French drain.

I put one in myself when I lived at the bottom of a hill. During big downpours there would be a two inch pond on my front porch.

It isn't that much work depending on your soil conditions. Took me a weekend with a shovel and a wheelbarrow to put in over 100' of it.

I found a wonderful thing at Lowes. It was a mesh "sock" that went around the perforated pipe. It claimed to keep roots from growing into the pipe thus clogging it. Two years after installing the drain I had to dig and move part of it to plant some trees. In the section where the sock covered there was not one root. In a gap I found I saw some roots dangling in the pipe. So I guess it worked.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I almost installed one at a ropes course I worked up, but moved before I got around to it. Did a lot of looking into it though. The sock thing El mentioned works, but while I was at Lowes looking at it, some guys were there that worked at a landscaping place buying a lot of it. They said it works, but it can be a pain to get on the tube/pipe, especially the longer pieces. They said that was the only hard part of the job. But it was worth it because it makes the pipes stay clog free for much longer.

They also said if you have to do a job of any size, renting a trenching machine is very worth it.

Also, one of the cool things you can do with the water is collect it in underground tanks and use it to water your lawn and landscaping in dry times. I was watching a show on GreenTV station the other day where they did just that, and also ran the water gutters off their roofs into it, which helped keep from adding even more to the lawn.

Even if you didn't want to go with the underground tank, you could make your own rain barrel for less than $50, and that would keep a lot of the water from running off the roof and onto your lawn. Put a hose at the bottom of the barrel and water the plants with it, or just let it out in a more controlled manner on a dry day.

There are tons of guides online on how to make one. For instance, the Ace Hardware a couple blocks from my house has big PVC barrels for sale for $15 or so just for that reason. I would have one already but am living in an apt. right now.

Watch this video
            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFDlkJOdaM[/media]

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Those ditch witches, trencher, are very easy and really cheap to rent. Would take you about 45 minutes rent and trench and return the thing. As deep or shallow as you want.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I like the manual methods. But I am fat and get almost no exercise so a bit a manual labor doesn't hurt me in the least. :)

Oh, and call your local utility companies before digging to make sure you don't kill yourself.
                Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X