Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to fill up my HD full of downtime!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to fill up my HD full of downtime!

I'm deploying mid April, and I really need to start getting a library of entertainment put together on my HD. I'll be gone for about 12 months, but I don't want to lug all my DVDs with me. I hope you guys might help me out with this.

1) What's GREAT encoding software that is super easy to use that I can pick up off the shelf? I want to be able to put my DVD in, click encode, and a whlie later have a divx version of the movie. (So I can convert my collection)

2) What's a legal way to get some digital DRM free content? If anyone has any digital copies they are willing to part with I'd appreciate it! (I currently have WALLE and I think another pixar movie with digital copies)

-- This might be against forum rules --
    3) What's a reliable way to get some digital content, at least for movies that I already own on DVD?

Thanks for you help! P.S. My job is so totaly cooler then dirtboys.
    USAR

Re: Trying to fill up my HD full of downtime!

I use DVD shrink to rip the movie file from my DVD and I then use AutoGK to convert the video file to avi You lose the extras, but can keep subtitles if you need them.

I then stream this from my Buffalo media server to my Buffalo media player which is hooked up to my TV

Each avi is between 1.75 - 2.25 Gb Auto GK does give the option of compressing the files down to 1.4Gb if you want.

It's not as easy as insert DVD, click and come back to a converted file, but it's not too bad (a little fiddly with autogk picking the right Vobs to use, but there is a preview option which is invaluable).

Too many dvds and not enough shelf space forced me to look for this a few months ago and it seems to work fine - I convert my dvds, then stick them in a box in the loft and just watch them straight from my HD to my TV, and like you I can always stick them on a memory stick/portable Harddisk if I'm travelling away somewhere.

Comment

What format does DVD shrink output to?
      USAR

Comment

AVS video to go....

buy 1 program for 60.00 and get everything they have for free.

I use about 7 of their programs and find them probably the best at their given task.

avs video converter is another option for more configurability.

dvd43 + dvdshrink works well too...
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

DVDFab can copy DVD movies(that you own for backup) and can also do other portable players such as Ipod, Zune, PSP, Nintendo DS, and some cell phone. I have used it for making backups of my DVD so kids won't mess up the originals and also for converting them onto my Ipod Nano.
          Another program I have used for converting movies to work on my Ipod was Handbrake. These movies will also play with excellent quality on the Ipod and in Itunes. I am not sure how well the converted movies would play on any other media player that is on the computer though.
          I am not sure what format either of these programs convert to. Been a while since I have used either of them. Something you can look into though. Of course DVDFab is about $60(at least that was how much I bought my copy for). Handbrake needs another program to remove any copyright protection the DVD may have. I just used DVDFab to convert over to HDD and then Handbrake to convert to Ipod.

Comment

Just to be clear, HD = hard drive! :)
            USAR

Comment

if you have something like adobe premier or sony vegas etc you can rip your dvd's then import the, to the video software. then you can convert them into avi's to shrink them down in size using certain settings

Comment

Originally posted by Iceberg View Post
                Was not sure if this was directed to me but I knew what HD meant, the programs I named will copy to the hard drive and it would be up to you if you wanted to put them over to a DVD, Ipod, leave them on the hard drive, or whatever. As long as they are on the HDD they can be accessed and watched you just may have to get the media player that will play them(Itunes, VLC player, or whatever).

Comment

Check your PM.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Not directed to anyone in particular, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't looking for 'High Definition' content... meaning if I can confuse myself I may confuse others!

Thanks for all the responses! I have a short while now to get my library together.
                    USAR

Comment

Originally posted by Iceberg View Post
                      FYI, most people abbreviate it as HDD=hard disk drive.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Oh thanks!
                        USAR

Comment

Did you play the SNES when you were young? There is much fun to be had on one of those.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X