F1: Melbourne

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1: Melbourne

The race is done, and I decided to make this thread on the results, and what will surely become a discussion.

Braun got a 1-2, Button 1st and Barichello 2nd, in 3rd, because of a solid drive and a 25 second penalty to Trulli, is Hamilton.

A high profile crash between Vettel and Kubica with just 3 laps to go allowed Braun to get the 1-2, and means BMW Sauber, has started the season with 0 points in the constructors championship.

Ferrari also had a bad day, as Raikkonen fell to 16th after spinning on lap 45 and clipping a wall - the Finn retiring late on - while Massa, who had run as high as third, retired one lap later with a broken front wing.

The talking point of the day is of course Jenson Button, who has taken his 2nd win out of a 10 year career, and looks to be the first of many this season.

Also, a great debut drive from Sebastian Beumi, meant he finished gaining 2 points. This young driver appears to be a good addition to the Toro Rossi line up.

And now, it seems, Britain has 2 drivers contending for the championship; Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton. As a Brit myself, I must now drive off into the sunset, national anthem aloud, with a wave of national pride.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
    "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Re: F1: Melbourne

I think Brawn GP's finishing results in the points at the end of the season will depend on how quickly the "top" teams get that new diffuser designed and planted on their cars.

Comment

Agreed. Once the protesting teams suck it up that they didn't think of it first, the arms race for diffusers could have a a big leveling effect.

I'm rooting for the underdogs this season with hope that the competition will finally be more widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee View Post
        I'm rooting for the underdogs this season with hope that the competition will finally be more widespread.
        Me too, last season BMW Sauber managed to come quite close to Ferrari and Mclaren, and came highly placed in most Grand Prix's. However this year they've had a bad start and may just come down to how fast they get that diffuser on.

But of course I'll always be routing for Hamilton.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
        "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

It's not purely down the the diffuser...

Honda (Aka Brawn/Virgin GP) started work on their 2009 car wayyyyyyy before any of the other teams. They took one of the finest brains in F1, a man proven to be able to see a set of rules and design a car to match them. Brawn is a genius, even before F1 his TWR Jaguars that won Le mans were fantastic cars, then man knows his stuff.... Also a lot of the drivers were disccussing understeer problems, which increased downforce at the backend (diffuser) would make worse. Granted there were many drivers who were claiming quite a twitchy back end on the cars due to the new rear wings...however..personally I think the cars are out of balance currently.... They have too much front wing area compared to the rear and possibly need to reduce the width of the front tyres again, as per the old days when slicks were used. They only increased the size of the fronts due to the introduction of grooved tyres.

Which brings me to my next point....Could Honda be the world's most incredibly stupid car manufacturer in the world? You spend hundreds of millions of dollars over a 4/5 year period trying to build a car with a chance to shine at the very pinnacle of the all motorsport.

You bring in without doubt one of the finest brains in F1.....you clearly have access to the design and the ability to examine the car and by all accounts, everyone at the factory felt very confident that the car was going to do the job....

Combine this with the fact that as you announce your withdrawal from the sport...the sport itself agrees radical and sweeping cost cutting measures which "could" have enabled them (Honda)to reverse their decision by maybe saying....OK...it wont be a factory team but it will remain "Brawn-Honda GP"!!! We will let them have th engines for one year! Most of which are already built!!!

Let's not forget...this car was designed around a completely different engine to the Mercedes unit that now sits in the car....with the restriction in revs this year to 18,000 that would also have helped the Honda unit... had they had the engine they intended to have...they could have been even quicker!

So...well done Honda executives.....you may all now fall on your swords....as the world is laughing it's ass off right now at possibly the worst marketing/motorsport decision that a manufacturer has ever made. A similar mistake was Audi leaving the World rally Championship, likewise Subaru, when both those manufacturers made their name through World Rallying...

Congrats must therefore go to Brawn, Button and the team, they really did pull of an incredible coup, by showing the factory teams the way to go.

More of the same in Malaysia please!!

:D
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Just to rub it in!!!! ;)
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse