No announcement yet.

Has anyone worked for a Collections Agency before?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone worked for a Collections Agency before?

Hey TG,

Was wondering if anyone has had the misfortune of having a job where you had to pursue collection on delinquent accounts. I might be working in a fairly entry-level position for the Canada Revenue Agency (equivalent of the IRS in Canada) in the near future and I believe this may spill over to being one of my tasks.

Any unique advice or insight beyond the obvious would be greatly appreciated, as I can clearly see this as being a somewhat stressful and negative experience.

Cheers guys,

Re: Has anyone worked for a Collections Agency before?

I've not worked it, but it can't be a fun job. You're going to be dealing with people that are desperate. They'll lie to you, run from you, ignore you and probably even try to hurt you. I know because I was one of those people for quite a while. I messed my credit up so bad that when my wife's employer forgot to withhold taxes, we were unable to pay our income taxes. The IRS came after us and we had to put all of our other bills on hold in order to pay our taxes. Well, then the other bill collectors came after us. On the phone and in person, we simply couldn't satisfy them. They were just trying to get the money that we owed them, but it was not fun.

I would never want to do that kind of work. It's necessary, but not for me.

Now repo work, that sounds like fun... Legal car theft? Count me in!

Anyway, in the US, the IRS doesn't have to do much in the way of collections. I think they're the only agency in the US that can garnish wages without due process (without going to court). They get what they want and when they want it. And with everyone getting paid electronically, it makes their job very, very easy.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Has anyone worked for a Collections Agency before?

I've never worked collection, but I'm told an axe handle or a tire iron is traditional.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed