NASA is not democratic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA is not democratic!

The election is over. There was a clear winner, but NASA may not follow the will of the people! OH NO!

------------------------------------------------------------
    Comedian Stephen Colbert is pulling out all the stops in his campaign to have NASA name a new room of the International Space Station after him.

"Well you voted, folks and look what happened," Colbert said Monday night on his faux-conservative show "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central. "Unfortunately, Houston may have a problem with it."

Colbert urged his viewers to write his name in during NASA's recent voting poll to name Node 3, a new room for the space station that will launch on a future shuttle mission. The move apparently worked, with Colbert's write-in name nabbing more than 230,000 votes, beating NASA's top suggestion Serenity by more than 40,000 votes.

There has been some speculation on how NASA will respond to Colbert's popularity in space. NASA has said that while it reserves the right to have the final word on Node 3's name, it would take write-in suggestions into consideration.

"We're still thinking about it," said William Gerstenmaier, NASA's space operations chief, on Saturday.

Some sources have suggested that NASA will meet Colbert's audience halfway by opting to name the space toilet for Node 3 after the comedian. Gerstenmaier, however, shared little during a Saturday briefing after the shuttle Discovery landed in Florida.

"We have a plan and we're working with some folks," Gerstenmaier said. "And in a couple of weeks, you'll know what the answer is."

In addition to writing in their suggestions, voters were given the opportunity to select a name from NASA's list Serenity, Earthrise, Legacy and Venture.

"Serenity? That's not a space station, that's an adult diaper," Colbert said.

Congress for Colbert

Node 3 is a new room for the space station that will launch aboard a NASA shuttle. It will include an astronaut toilet, eight refrigerator-sized equipment racks and much of the station's life support gear. It will also be the site of an observation portal to serve as the main workstation for the orbiting lab's robotic arm.

"Now for laymen out there, a space node is a node-like structure that is attached to other nodes in space in a ... I don't know what it is, but I want it!" Colbert said in Monday night's episode.

Colbert has drawn support for his name not only from the public, but also Congress.

In a March 26 statement, Congressman Chaka Fattah (D-PA) urged NASA to respect the results of the agency's online poll.

"NASA decided to hold an election to name its new room at the International Space Station and the clear winner is Stephen Colbert," Fattah said in the statement. "The people have spoken, and Stephen Colbert won it fair and square even if his campaign was a bit over the top."

Fattah pointed out that NASA's top choice Serenity finished well behind Colbert's name.

"When Americans look to the sky, they may see 'Serenity' but there will be no serenity here on Earth," Fattah said.

Colbert also enlisted the support of Derrick Pitts, chief astronomer for Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pa., during Monday night's "Colbert Report."

"As an astronomer, basically you are an ambassador for space," Colbert said. "Do you agree with him that the node should be named after me?"

"I think that's something that NASA's going to have to figure out, but you know, it could be a good idea," Pitts replied during a discussion about Galileo.

NASA's top vote-getter Serenity is a moniker that is also, coincidentally, the name of the fictional spaceship in the "Firefly" science fiction television series.

While Serenity came in second, it was the only NASA-selected name to make the top three. Coming in third was the write-in selection "Myyearbook" with 147,637 votes, with the write-in "Gaia" a solid fourth with 114,427 votes. In all, the naming poll received about 1.2 million votes.

"So NASA, I urge you to heed Congressman Fattah's call for democracy in orbit," Colbert said. "Either name that node after me, or I too will reject democracy and seize power as space's evil tyrant overlord. Ball's in your court."
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: NASA is not democratic!

Good good. It ought not be a democracy.

Comment

join Stephen Colbert fight for this... spam nasa on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dear Leader View Post
        Good good. It ought not be a democracy.
        Aha!

Comment

NASA set themselves up for this. They created a PR situation they hoped to win from and now are reaping the reward. They should eat their crow and accept the outcome, and think more the next time before holding an election for a module name. (It's not like this will be the last addition ever to stuff in space.)

More troubling is the current brouhaha over who gets to use which "national" toilets.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...e-in-space/?hp
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

They should have never had the "add your own" column. I voted for Serenity which won the vote for pre-selected names. I mean talk about being egocentric, Stephen Colbert needs to cease and desist and let NASA give an appropriate name to the Node 3.

before i go ill just say that I do enjoy watching the Colbert Report but this is an international space station and naming the Node "Stephen Colbert" is not in the spirit that NASA intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
              They should have never had the "add your own" column. I voted for Serenity which won the vote for pre-selected names. I mean talk about being egocentric, Stephen Colbert needs to cease and desist and let NASA give an appropriate name to the Node 3.

before i go ill just say that I do enjoy watching the Colbert Report but this is an international space station and naming the Node "Stephen Colbert" is not in the spirit that NASA intended.
              Would you rather it be named the 'Myyearbook' or 'Gaia' Node?

Just because Colbert is an eccentric person does not mean that it should be denied if the votes were proper. If NASA wanted a specific criteria for their nodule names, they would have it. They asked for it by putting it there, and now the result is staring them in the face.

Besides the fact that if you think about it, you would know Colbert likely doesn't honestly mind it being named whatever it is named. He wasn't diminished by the fact he couldn't run for president in both the democratic and republican parties. It's a bit of a publicity stunt; He's a comedian, and he plays an egocentrical character, and he enjoys it that way.

Comment

Colbert routinely mocks the fact that he has so many loyal followers and they love him for it. Several episodes he attempts to point out he's a comedian and shouldn't be taken serious, but since it sounds funny the sheep enjoy it even more. The vote was just another joke in the long line of jokes about how much people believe him.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

It's pompous to name an engineering site something respectable. That's for politicians and bureacrats obsessed with the image of their job.

Where I used to work, we called our lab Area 51. When a corporation bought us, they initially thought we were forced by management to use that name, and then were totally confused to discover the engineers had named it and liked the name. The suits decided to give all rooms with an inventory of parts 2-letter designations for the ERP database, and our lab became ED, for engineering development. (We had inventory for building prototypes.) So someone put a cardboard sign in front of their fancy "ED" sign that read "special".

Remember that astronauts aboard the space station are engineers, not politicians. They'll enjoy the humor of naming the module "Colbert".
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X