• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Land an Airplane in an Emergency

Just in case you find yourself in a B movie scene:

How to Land an Airplane in an Emergency

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: How to Land an Airplane in an Emergency

The advice in the followups is good. I was once given the controls of a small plane and the one thing I "got wrong" was to drive the controls too hard. Be gentle. ;) (It's exactly the same mistake I made the first time I got to drive a car. I treated the brakes like all or nothing and jammed them to the floor instead of gently pressing them down. My mom was really pissed. Esp. since in those days no one wore seat belts. :p)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

pisha..I don't need this! I play IL2!

if only...

Comment

"OMG THE PILOTS ARE DEAD!"

"Its ok I can land the plane"

"Are you a pilot?"

"No..but I did stay at a holiday inn last night"

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
        The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

The airport in that pic is Toncontín International Airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. It is a crazy approach. Aircraft have to circle inside a mountain basin to a very short final approach that requires pilot take a perfect glide slope down to the runway. Stay too high and you will overshoot the short, downhill-sloped runway. Go to low, and well, you can see what would happen:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMiG-VLYMXo[/media]
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

If the original steps fail, try this:

Backup Plan

Comment

Thanks for this...
              All you need is LOVE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                The airport in that pic is Toncontín International Airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. It is a crazy approach. Aircraft have to circle inside a mountain basin to a very short final approach that requires pilot take a perfect glide slope down to the runway. Stay too high and you will overshoot the short, downhill-sloped runway. Go to low, and well, you can see what would happen:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMiG-VLYMXo[/media]
                wowzas!

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

good to know ill remember to give the pilot this on my next flight to anywhere.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

[media]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Redberon2003/Picture.jpg[/media]

Take it from a Brand new Month old Noob cessna pilot who's somewhat familiarised with boeing systems and IFR Operations *though not qualified and I'd never attempt them before I am*.

the greater 100% of you who are not pilot's in any form *even computer pilots* Will infact Die if you try.

same with the other 100+ people on board.

Here's to hoping that day never comes.

There are 1000 things that you can **** up with in that cockpit - Most of that cockpit will be extremely unfamiliar and you would have No idea about speeds or General "Feel". that enough will kill you in the first 45 seconds.

:icon_lol: Nice idea though if it didn't have a 99.99% chance of failure.

Edit - Note, yes that is my airman certificate - For obvious Privacy Reasons I have deleted several fields of information.

Comment

I would never try to land a jumbo by "feel". Unless all the instruments died, and then likely the hydraulics are dead too and there's no hope.

The one time I tried my hands at the controls, I did not look out the window. I looked at the instruments and adjusted the controls to get the instruments the way I wanted them. (The pilot was kinda shocked that I did it so easily. He considered it a very hard exercise. I just told him it was because of all the video games I play. :D)

One would hope that a modern airport where a jumbo lands has enough auto-land mechanisms that one just has to get the plane close and it does most of the work to get to the ground.

OTOH, I've read that Hong Kong has a real nasty approach, and I wonder if it's doable by current auto-land technology.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So the entire cockpit crew is somehow all dead? I believe if the pilot and co-pilot got killed somehow, I would trust the flight engineer or navigator before any of the passengers. Including myself. I think i'll hit the lottery jackpot before i'm faced with this crisis.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah like someone already stated, I learned how to do this in Flight Simulator 97! Either way, good information to post. You never know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Charcoal_Grey View Post
                            So the entire cockpit crew is somehow all dead? I believe if the pilot and co-pilot got killed somehow, I would trust the flight engineer or navigator before any of the passengers. Including myself. I think i'll hit the lottery jackpot before i'm faced with this crisis.
                            No modern airliner you would fly on has a "Flight engineer" which was common in the 60/70 and 80's his job died in the 90's. Current aircraft have a Flightcrew of 2, are aided in Automation on Fuel Consumption and Heavily Aided in Navigation. its more or less "Programming" the airplanes Flight management computer on what you want to do. it gives you all the options you tell it how where when and any Discriminations on where it needs to be Vertically once it gets there. and it will do it - mostly.

Like all computer softwares - the FMC has its anomolies and requires Monitoring. the FMC is doing Physics, as well as time/fuel/distance calculations based on the sensors that feed it.

it does mess up the sensors do Produce false enough information to confuse the computer from time to time and it does require pilot monitoring.

as far as scratch says - yes autoland is sometimes an option, other times it is not.

90% of regional aircraft don't have the ability to autoland, this is generally only found on the heavy airplanes. Why?

Because of How expensive it is to equip the function *Extremely*. and Who's going to need it? on short 2-4 hour flights Autoland isn't so much a requirement because a pilot if the weather minimums look Low - pilot makes a no go decision.

Now - in the event that an international Flight departs crosses across the ocean and its Weather is Below Category 1 Landing conditions. and the airport is so equipped,AND the airplane is equipped. an autoland can be performed. it Requires an extreme amount of Button pushing and Setup as well as verification of proper indications - you miss a button push it won't Go for an autoland rather plow itself into the runway at 800FPM and hitting the ground that hard - is enough to break the body of an airliner.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQhyLdWajk[/media]

an Autoland and the conditions that its used in.

Correctly configure Both for Boeing ;]

[media]http://www.cpflight.com/images/mcp800x600.jpg[/media]
                            [media]http://www.plugnfly.com/images/fms_front.gif[/media]

Correctly configure for Airbus

[media]http://www.cpflight.com/images/FCU_web0.jpg[/media]
                            [media]http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/MCDU.jpg[/media]

think you could tackle it without pickling yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXzYZjpoz_E

The Reality that Pilots get themselves in - 178 seconds to Live.

Comment

How do you check if you "missed a button"? If you can't check your work, how can you ever trust the system?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X