Need War/History/Military Book Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need War/History/Military Book Recommendations

So I won a $150 Barnes and Noble gift certificate in a raffle and I'm looking to expand my military history book collection. Does anyone have any good books they recommend that I grab?

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: Need War/History/Military Book Recommendations

Sweet deal! Congrats! Fiction or non-fiction?

Comment

Preferably non-fiction. I'm a big history/military history buff and would like something related to that, but feel free to recommend anything you think is good :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I love this one. It's about ancient Greek and Roman warfare, weapons, soldiers, etc...I got it during my Rome: Total War phase. Now it's my coffee table reader...geeky I know.

http://www.amazon.com/Warfare-Classi...H0J0WP63M5WVBV

Comment

Generation Kill.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
            Generation Kill.
            I second that

Also a good book is The Long Road Home
            http://www.amazon.com/Long-Road-Home.../dp/0399153829
            |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

House to House, its an account of the battle of fallujah told from the army perspective. Its one of the best books I have read.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

BioHazard.........written by a fmr. colonel in the russian military, he has since defected hence the book, it is one of the scariest books i have ever read, a professor of mine had our class read it our senior year for a national security class, he knows the author personally (i think he helped him defect when he was in the CIA) it tells about how much anthrax Russia made during the cold war and where they stored it etc.

Also Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel, its sad but very well written.

Ernie's war about Ernie Pyle is great also.

Also any book about the battle of gettysburg is pretty damn fascinating.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

How about alternate history? I really enjoyed John Birmingham's Axis of Time series:

Order from Amazon.com

(The link gives TG referral credit. Use [amazon][/amazon] around the book code for those links.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The Three Wars of Roy Benavidez. Vietnam War Green Beret Medal of Honor winner. I thought it was a good read.
                    sigpic

Comment

World War Z is also supposed to be a great book, i haven't read it yet but i know there are a few on the forums who are, i believe cougar is, pm him or look it up on wikipedia or google, the audio book version also looks very interesting as well.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783 (Paperback)
                        Order from Amazon.com

By the father of the modern navy. This book is history as it revolutionized naval warfare like no other single person has done.

28 of 29 people found the following review helpful:

4.0 out of 5 stars von Clausewitz of the Sea, June 3, 2002

By Harold Y. Grooms (Prattville, AL USA) - See all my reviews

In this book, U.S. Navy Captain Alfred T. Mahan presents what he considers the six key elements of sea power and shows the impact their application or misapplication has had on history. Citing numerous historical examples, he shows how nations have prospered or suffered through use or misuse of their naval assets. His book is rightfully considered essential reading for any historian of naval warfare. However, its impact does not stop there.

Mahan shows how nations thrived or declined during the 17th and 18th centuries through prudent or imprudent application of naval power. He contends France, Holland, Spain, et al. prospered until they allowed their naval power to dissipate. Meanwhile, Britain became mistress of the seas. British colonies provided raw materials for her industries, while her armed fleet insured uninterrupted commerce. He equates Britain's loss of her American colonies with inappropriate deployment of her fleet, contrasted with France's skilled strategic use of her own. This section will interest readers of American history schooled only on Washington's land campaign at Yorktown.

Mahan's book has had a tremendous impact on history. It unquestionably shaped the imperialistic policies of pre-World War I and pre-World War II Germany and Japan respectively. Students trying to ascertain why leaders of those nations acted as they did should read this work.

The elements of sea power are the same today as in 1900 when this book was first published. With a world economy as interdependent as today's, Mahan's principles are as valid as they were in the 1600's and 1700's, perhaps even more so. German war philosopher, Carl von Clausewitz's classic treatise, "On War," is considered a must read for every Army officer. Mahan's work is to the sea-battle as von Clausewitz's is to the land. Historians, military strategists, and architects of America's foreign, economic and national security policies should read this important work to gain insights on the necessity of protecting vital and vulnerable sea lines of communications worldwide.
                        Also, the referred to:
                        On War (Paperback)
                        by Carl von Clausewitz (Author)
                        Order from Amazon.com

and

the translation of your liking of Sun Tzu's Art of War (but you already have this, as you can't have a military history book collection to expand without having this...)

and

The Art of Maneuver: Maneuver-Warfare Theory and AirLand Battle (Paperback)
                        by Robert Leonhard (Author)
                        Order from Amazon.com

21 of 21 people found the following review helpful:

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, mediocre presentation, December 3, 2001

By John S. Cunningham (Las Vegas, nv United States) - See all my reviews
                        (REAL NAME)

Robert Leonhard is one of America's greatest military theorists. Unfortunately his presentation of ideas is not as clear and concise as it might be. He has valid ideas but his dry writing style prevents them from being conveyed effectively. This book is not an easy read.

For similar concepts in a more readable format I would recommend "Warfighting" by Hayden, "Maneuver Warfare Anthology" by Hooker, or "Maneuver Warfare Handbook" by Lind. Only after you have read these books will you benefit from reading Leonhard's book.

See also Leonhards excellent "Principles of War for the Information Age" which is significant and important (but suffers many of the flaws of this book). I feel that book is a more visionary and unique work by this important authour.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Good ol' von even made into the movies in the movie crimson tide:

Capt. Ramsey: At the Naval War College it was metallurgy and nulear reactors, not 19th-century philosophy.
                          [Stifled laugh]
                          Capt. Ramsey: "War is a continuation of politics by other means." Von Clausewitz.
                          Hunter: I think, sir, that what he was actually trying to say was a little more...
                          Capt. Ramsey: Complicated?
                          [Men Laughing]
                          Hunter: Yes the purpose of war is to serve a political end but hte true nature of war is to serve itself.
                          Capt. Ramsey: [laughing] I'm very impressed. In other words, the sailor most likely to win the war is the one most willing to part company with the politicians and ignore everything except the destruction of the enemy. You'd agree with that.
                          Hunter: I'd agree that, um, that's what Clausewitz was trying to say.
                          Capt. Ramsey: But you wouldn't agree with it?
                          Hunter: No, sir, I do not. No, I just think that in the nuclear world the true enemy can't be destroyed.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! This is what I ended up ordering:

In the Company of Heroes
                            Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
                            The Mission, the Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
                            Art of War
                            The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783
                            Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World Told
                            House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
                            Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
                            SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
                            Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
                            Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda

There were a few others that looked fascinating, but I ran out of money so I'll save those for when I'm done with these (which may take a while) :).

Comment

Ah!

Two more: The Defence of Duffer's Drift and A Message to Garcia

Both are must-haves.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X