Where's the AMMO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the AMMO?

I just bought my first firearm; a S&W 642 w/CT. I pushed 200 rounds through it. Now I can't find any ammo locally or online. I haven't been around the gun scene very long so I don't know what's going on. Is this some kind of cycle? I have heard many things like people are afraid of Obama and the gun snatchers, but this issue is pretty quiet compared to other Dem administrations. Some good ol'boys at the gun shop said that a congressman had a way of putting serial numbers on every round. And I have heard that they were going to introduce rounds with primers that had expiration dates and wouldn't fire after a certain amount of time. I have also heard that the military stopped releasing their "not so fresh" rounds to the public (for some reason) which is creating a shortage. Or perhaps there is a more dastardly goings on. Anyone know what's up?
    [media]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2891/p11311044.jpg[/media]

Re: Where's the AMMO?

good luck man. Ive got my stash and i haven't shot mine in months just for this reason, its hard to find replacements. Check out midwayusa.com or some other online places. THose are ussually pretty good.

Try having more then 1 gun and each having a different caliber.....its not cheap or easy to find.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I had to look up the revolver to see what caliber it was and found this page with some GREAT basic info about this gun: http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

If you can't find ANY ammo at all, let me know and I'll see what we can work out if you need a small amount. If it's an emergency and you don't even have ten rounds, PM me and I'll get 'em to you ASAP with the admonishment that you need to always keep enough of the "good stuff" to load it and reload it after you're done burning through your practice ammo.

As for all the rumors about long term ammo shortages, I know that there has been a massive surge in gun buying since the election, which would naturally result in ammo shortages soon after. I'm just ordered my rifle yesterday, and I'm looking at a three to six month wait for it to be delivered. It's a S&W M&P15T, btw. I know that 5.56/.223 ammo has jumped in price since the Iraq war started. Ammo in calibers that the military is using has become somewhat harder to find. .38 isn't one of those calibers, though. I know that there have been bills proposed in various states that want to serialize ammo. Ah, here it is: http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm The proposal is insane. Arizona's proposed statute is fairly easy to read if you want to see what they want. They basically want to make ammo next to impossible for the average guy to be able to find/afford legally, as it's not technologically feasible to do this without making ammo prohibitively expensive. Crazy...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So you would have to fill out a form every time you bought ammo?

Comment

Nice carry gun Hambergler! I wish I had one LOL!

As far ammo, I would just try and look online at various retailers until you find what you need. It's the dumb population of Firearm owners panic buying everything, than some crazy alien ammo shortage. Things will recover and be relatively close to business as usual.
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho...ctx=P38HS2G%23

Done business with these guys before. Good Luck.
            "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

77$? Wow, I never knew ammo was so expensive.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I've been able to find HPs locally, what I need is range ammo. The only thing they have is MAGTECH .38 SPECIAL FMJ at $36 a box, they are usually $15. I think I'll pass.

Comment

My dad has mentioned the shortage a few times. He said he has good luck finding deals at shows, but he is in dallas and there is a show in the area pretty much every week. I was in walmart the other day to get some .45, and they had none. The guy behind the counter said they have been out for a while, and it was due to the nuts that actually believe people are going to be coming to take it away.
                  M

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here's a good explanation:
                    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=440687

You should be able to get some ammo here at not too outrageous prices:
                    http://georgia-arms.com/

When you go shooting, save your brass. You can re-sell it or save it for when you start reloading :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      ...it was due to the nuts that actually believe people are going to be coming to take it away.
                      Did you check out the link I posted? There is proposed legislation to come take it all away!

A. BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2009, A MANUFACTURER SHALL CODE ALL HANDGUN AND ASSAULT WEAPON AMMUNITION THAT IS MANUFACTURED OR SOLD IN THIS STATE. THIS SECTION APPLIES TO ALL CALIBERS.
                      B. BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2011, A PRIVATE CITIZEN OR A RETAIL VENDOR SHALL DISPOSE OF ALL NONCODED AMMUNITION THAT IS OWNED OR HELD BY THE CITIZEN OR VENDOR.
                      Do you know how much it will cost for "coded" ammunition? It's not possible right now, so it will cost mucho dinero. Most ammo companies will go out of business and military suppliers will probably stop selling to civilians. The price we pay for large, exotic calibers right now will look cheap compared to how much .22 ammo will cost if it has to be "coded".
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

What state is that for. I dont see it as a whole US thing maybe just your perticular state
                        |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Are these good rounds to get for the range? The FMJs are sold out. I have heard many times to stay away from cheap ammo.

http://georgia-arms.com/38special125...int1000pk.aspx

Comment

For the range I'd go with the Wad-cutters
                            http://georgia-arms.com/38special148...ter1000pk.aspx

They're cheaper, normally less recoil, and they make nice round holes in the paper.

The Jacketed Hollow Point (JHPs) are often loaded a bit hotter, and with an airweight revolver, recoil is annoying for some people. If you're plinking at paper targets, they also don't make the same round holes which are nice for friendly competitions.

In the end, they all go bang and send hot metal flying downrange. I'm guessing the JHPs will go bang a bit louder and send the metal flying a bit faster - but then that's what a .357 is for :D

Again, save the brass, whenever you're done shooting those 1000 rounds up, you can sell a thousand pieces of .38 brass for about $50.

Comment

But again, people are not going to come into your house and take your toys away.
                              And so what if someone proposed some leduslation. That is the point of a democracy. Some group of people come up with an idea for a law, and then the larger group votes on it. Do you honestly think that law will pass, especially with the hurdles of price and technology you mention? Hell no. So why go crazy and start hording and stockpiling? And don't you think some if not a lot of the law enforcement community would come out aganist it if it is so expensive. They won't even be able to afford it. They might support it if the price was pretty much equal, but then again, I do to.

Why would you care if the ammo you shoot has a number on it. The only reason you should worry is if you are a bad guy and are doing bad things. If I shoot someone defending myself or my house, I'm not worried about if there is a number on the bullet cause I'm not going to try and hide the shooting or the body, so it doesn't matter if there is a number. I'm going to say hell yeah it was me. He broke into my house and was going to kill me, so I protected my family, numbers on my bullets or not.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X