[Need Advice] Beginner Rider on an R6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Need Advice] Beginner Rider on an R6

So I just picked up an Yamaha '05 R6 this weekend and just started getting some of the basic riding tips. So far I learned to shift pretty good, I haven't stalled it since the first time I tried riding it (aside from the one dump), and I am getting more comfortable with turns, riding on main roads, blinkers, and down shifting and such.

My buddy gets pissed at me because he says I am so terrible with stop and go that he says I am probably going break the bike... This is the problem that I don't understand, I am doing exactly what he says. When the bike comes to a stop, I click the shift thing all the way down to bring it to first, then I go and it's either in neutral or maybe 2nd, so I click it a few more times so I know for a fact it is in 1st, then again I go and it's not in first.

He says I'm not pressing the shift knob down, even though I am sitting there pushing the thing down like fifteen times! I am holding the clutch down all the way, the bike isn't in motion, yet I am still having difficult getting into first after coming to a stop. He can do it fine so I don't think it's the bike, what am I doing wrong?

- Am I not suppose to old the front brake down? Or rear break for that matter?
    - Do I hold the shift stick thing down to keep it in first?

It's very frustrating especially since I never even ridden a bike before, but I am trying to enjoy it but I hate having to stop! Anyone know what's up?

Any one got some tips to help me out in general?

Hadouken!!! (>*.*)> ==> ==> ==> ^(X.X)^

Re: [Need Advice] Beginner Rider on an R6

Sorry to be harsh, but why the heck did you get a freaking R6 as your first bike?!! Cool isn't a good answer.

That decision is so wrong it's not even funny!

To compound everything you haven't even ridden a bike before? Why didn't you take an MSF course?

Yeah, the bike is "Cool", and I wouldn't mind riding it, but do you have ANY clue how fast that bike is? Even if you take away the speeed the bike is so unforgiving it will rape you the first chance it gets. What do you think will happen if you "accidentally" grab a hand of front brake while taking a corner?

There are so many things that a new rider should be concentrating on, and none of them include trying to manage more bike then you can handle. Some examples would include not getting killed by other drivers. That is priority number 1.

Obviously my post isn't going to make you sell it, which is what I think you should do and get a Ninja 250, but here are a few things so that you don't make my insurance more expensive:

1. Don't ride the stupid thing until you take a MSF course.

3. Any friends you have that told you to get an R6 are idiots, even if they ride. Stay away from them and don't let them pressure you.

2. Don't get too comfortable the first couple hundred miles, you will feel like you are "getting it", only to make a big mistake that may not be forgiven on a bike like that.

3.Do not under any circumstances "try out" the bike's power. Even if you have driven 10 second monsters, a bike is a whole other ball game.

4. Practice U-Turns and low speed maneuvers in a big parking lot, doing a u-turn on a empty road is a lot different than with oncoming traffic. "Shifting" isn't a skill or something that requires much thinking. Work on the low speed and clutch+throttle control.

5. Wear your gear! Gear includes properly fitted boots, gloves, jacket, pants, and a helmet from quality manufacturers.

6. Take the damn MSF course, it goes over all this crap.

You wanted advice? You got mine. Don't take this personally, I am NOT going to tell you what you want to here, only what will help you, and may save your life. Don't end up as an omelet on side of the road.
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Im gonna have to agree with Turkish on this one.

You cant be learning to ride a motorcycles especially an R6 on the road. You will get in an accident and kill yourself. Those things have some serious power.

As a rider of over 10 years, i have mainly ridden dirt you shouldn't jump on a beastly bike without even practicing on something smaller.

Even i would not think of buying an R6 and riding it. It is plain stupid. You should maybe thing about practicing on a friends dirt bike that is smaller like a crf150f or 230f. Something around that CC range. You need to be comfortable before you jump on the road and go ride around.

Now about your shifting issue. You should only need to press it down once to go down a gear. You will hear it and feel it in your foot that you shift down. Keep a virtual counter in your head remembering what gear you are in. It is not necessary to keep clicking it 15 times to get to first. And im not sure if on street bikes when you stop at a light u go to neutral or you just hold the clutch in on first gear. It takes time to learn.

If i was you i would put that thing in my grarage and never ride it till you know what you are doing on a smaller bike
      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I would bypass riding dirtbikes, and just take the MSF. They will get you proficient enough to not kill yourself while learning. Plus most of the skills do not translate onto the road. I was the best rider in my class, yet I still got a small bike to start out. Didn't regret it at all. You WILL make mistakes. Period. It's not about ego, it's about being able to enjoy things in life after you get start riding.

As for the shifting things, most bikes will not let you "Click" it down once you reach first. It should just stop. If yours doesn't maybe something is wrong with it?
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

This is hard to explain but some older bikes I had rode would not let you shift into first unless you were still moving, double clutching, or if you "rocked" the bike. The gears will sometimes not synchronize between 2nd and 1st even after being in neutral so you need to be moving a little, release the clutch when you hit neutral while giving slight quick throttle and then pull the clutch back in also known as double clutching, or rock the bike just a little to get it into 1st.
          Usually the best is to make sure you are downshifting as you are coming to your stop, this way you are always in the gear you may need if you have to take off again before stopping. Always make sure you are in the proper gear for the situation.
          Some states require you to take the MSF course and prove you passed before they will even let you take their test. From what I read about NC it does not require that so I would also recommend you take the course. Some places will even have free motorcycle training. Local community colleges are great for this and that would be the first place I would check. This time of year is usually when they start their free training sessions.

I also would have chosen a different bike for a beginner. Something that would not be so tempting for you to get wild on.

One last thing, my brother was killed almost 2 years ago on his motorcycle the day before my B-day. He was an experienced rider but that doesn't mean squat sometimes. I do not know what actually happened but have only speculated. I do think he was drinking before he went out riding but am not positive, I only know the story that was told to me and it just doesn't seem right to me. His buddy that was riding with him claimed my brother sneezed and that was how he wrecked but he was in front of my brother.

Comment

My father - who had been on a motorcycle since he was a teenager - crushed his arm when he hit some loose dirt in a turn. His arm sandwiched between a jersey barrier and the Harley.

His uncle crushed his pelvis and broke both legs when he got into a wreck. His penis is now partially non-functional and he has trouble urinating.

A friend suffered extremely bad road rash on his back, legs and buttocks when he had to dump his bike in an intersection.

I know it sucks to hear this, man, but you need to sell the R6 and downgrade to a smaller beginner's bike. If someone recommended that you buy an R6 as your first bike, you need to go find them and punch them in the face for being an idiot. ;P

If you're going to go and take the cool route (keeping the R6, not taking the Safety Course, etc.) then AT LEAST invest in quality riding gear. I'm talking about the sort of full-body kevlar-reinforced gear that AMA Superbike racers wear. That way if you dump it or a car smashes you, you'll have a better chance of not dying. Oh, and you BETTER be wearing an approved helmet when you're cruising around.

Comment

I completely agree with just abut everyone that has posted. I started out with a Ninja 250 and had it for 1.5 years. Manageable speed and was excellent to learn on. Plus, it holds its value really well (useful when upgrading). I've never ridden a R6, but if its anything like a CBR (which I'm sure they are similar in nature) than I would definitely not touch it until you've had more experience.
              Don't take all this advice and be angry. It's not that we don't want you to ride. Heck, riding is the 2nd best thing in the world! I would just take it a little bit slower. My 2 cents.
              I wish you luck in whatever you end up doing! Most of all, just be safe.
              sigpic
              I'm Back.

Comment

Kudo's for not getting a 750, 900, or 1100... that being said, you absolutely NEED to take the course: http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx

Hell, you can ride your bike to the class - I did! :) It's half classroom, half on-bike training, and typically goes a couple days. It's actually really fun. Each day, you watch a few vid and get practical advice from a pro. Then you go out and actually ride bikes (typically 125's in a big parking lot). You learn to slalom, emergency braking, u-turns and all kinds of low-speed maneuvers (the hardest since the wheels aren't acting like gyro's to keep the bike upright).

edit: also - if you do the course, you don't need to take the riding test for your license! you just do the multiple-choice test that only an idiot would fail.

Don't worry about the difficulty shifting:

1) If you don't feel a <thunk>, it's not shifting... which isn't uncommon...

2) It's getting stuck in the wrong gear because the transmission is slightly misaligned when the bike came to a stop. This isn't exactly how it works, but it might help to picture traditional gears/cogs in your head and how they plug into each other. If they're aligned tooth-to-tooth, they won't mesh... you need tooth-to-valley for them to fit together. So roll the bike forward/back a little to "move the wheel-side-gear" so it can fit in. (Either release the brake and roll it with your feet, or release the clutch and let 2nd gear help you move the wheels a few inches)

(This doesn't happen much with modern car transmissions, but the same exact thing used to happen a lot in an old 89 camry I owned in college. It was a 5-speed, and at least 1/2 the time I wouldn't be able to smoothly shift out of neutral when stopped.)

3) You should have a neutral-indicator light in your instruments... don't forget about that...

Final advice: don't try keeping up with your friends who have been riding longer. I did this when I first got my first bike and almost died: We were going out for subs at lunch and took the freeway (128N from norwood to needham for you mass-holes). I was on a Kawi EX500, my buddy on a ZX9. He was going at normal speeds on the highway as was I and was feeling comfortable. We got to the exit (one I wasn't familiar with), and he didn't need to slow down much, so I just kept pace. Well turns out it was a REALLY sharp turn, and I just wasnt going to be able to make it. I saw the curb coming and straigned up to hit it straight on. I jumped the curb, went up into the grass, heading straight for the car-filled on-ramp (it's a classic trumpet-style interchange, with no guard-rails). Keeping it straight as I could, I slowed as much as I could, while keenly aware of my tires uselessness on the slippery grass. Luckly, I slowed enough to turn it without dumping - just before I got to the oncoming traffic in the onramp (no guardrails on either ramp). I offroaded back around and onto the exit ramp. Needless to say, it nearly came to blows when I met up w/ my friend at MightySub... I was FURUIOUS and still had an unhealthy amount of adrenaline coursing through me.

Comment

Difference between an R6 and a 250 Ninja?

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    roughly the same weight, but over 100hp instead of 25hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                      100 HP difference

Unforgiving:Brakes, ergonomics, throttle(MEGA IMPORTANT), clutch, suspension etc....All of those things if actuated by an inexperienced rider can lead to serious injury, maiming, or death.

Expensive insurance due to newer riders cr4sh z0ring.....

Lesser fuel economy(Stil good 45 vs 70+MPG)

The R6 is a bad Mofo, and is capable of so much more than people imagine. If you crack the throttle at the wrong time or too abruptly you will no longer be on a motorcycle but on a motor unicycle. You will then be taken for ride that is closer to the "Insert crazy theme park ride that involves spinning, going upside down, and has a name that involves crashing", than a motorcycle.

The Ninja 250 is a fun little bike that will absorb the errors that new riders tend to make a lot better than most. I could ride around for pennies a day almost.
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Like folks above said, one of the best things about the 250 is that it retains it's value so well. Lot of people are able to resale it for the same price they paid if they kept it in good shape with no slides. During the gas crunch of last year, some were even selling for more than they were bought for.
                        And the newly redesigned model actually looks good. Don't really like the look of the early 2000 models as much, but for something to ride for this riding season till you get most of your skills down, you really should look into buying one for a couple grand.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I started with a EX500 Ninja, and it was great for 2 years. It was a 2-cylinder, and although it had around 60hp (a little over half the R6's), it didn't have much torque, so it took a redline-clutch-drop to get the front end off the ground. That being said, it still made it to 60 in under 4 seconds :D

Hmmmm... given that he's not going sell the R6 he just bought... I wonder if there are there any easy to do mods one can do to 'detune' the bike a bit? (Aside from the most common mod advice: "Always tighten the nut behind the handlebars first" ;))

Comment

How do people feel about the Suzuki GS500 line of bikes as starter ones? They seem to have good mileage, manageable horsepower, and fantastic resale value.
                            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                              How do people feel about the Suzuki GS500 line of bikes as starter ones? They seem to have good mileage, manageable horsepower, and fantastic resale value.
                              I was looking for a GS500 back when I got my Kawi. I really like those bikes - perfect for a starter-bike. Enough civility to keep your first season safe, yet enough power to keep you satisfied for two riding seasons. (plus I'm a sucker for a sport bike with no bodywork.. the speed triple, sv650, and most buell's = yum)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X