Game Controls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Controls

Why is it that no game that I've come across has a print option for controls and key bindings? I have a legal pad and a two inch binder full of key maps for all my games. It seems like such a simple option considering that 44xpixel shading and 67.1 surround surround sound is mandatory, but a print option for key settings is simply beyond today's technology. sheesh.

/rant

p.s I've done the print screen and PS grayscale print, but sometimes I can't be bothered. Any other tricks out there?
    New to TG?

Re: Game Controls

Originally posted by USN_Squid
    Any other tricks out there?
    The first thing I do when I install a game is customize the keybindings to the way I originally learned to play FPS's, which instead of WASD, is a ESDF setup. Every game I have is set up this way. Reload is "R" on every game. Jump is "W" on every game. Crouch is "A" or "capslock" on every game. Use or enter vehicle is the spacebar on every game.

Now, instead of trying to remember a new keymap, I just have to remember that "9" is parachuting in BF, that "T" is stand up in JO and spraypaint in HL, and that I have to use "shift+number" to change vehicle positions in JO, but just "number" to change in BF.

The only downside to this is that when you don't use the default layouts, it's more annoying if you ever play on a friend's computer...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I got the n52 speedpad about a year ago which has solved the problem for most FPS type games. The problem I'm having is with some more complicated games, or games that have unusual commands, there's really no standardized setup for. The speedpad does have a print option, but you still have to setup the keys first.

It would be a good suggestion for game developers to give us an option for printing them out easily. Unless I'm the only joker complaining about it of course.... :icon_bigg
      New to TG?

Comment

I don't follow - like a printout of all the available commands that can be mapped in PF or Falcon 4, or a printout of how you have your n52 setup?

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          I don't follow - like a printout of all the available commands that can be mapped in PF or Falcon 4, or a printout of how you have your n52 setup?
          The former. I'd like to be able to print all the commands from the game options menu. You know hit a print button, I like it simple. Right now I just go through the menu and right them all down on a separate paper. Then I can go to the speedpad, setup the keys and then print out those settings that I'm actually using. Clear as mud?
          New to TG?

Comment

I too want this squid. I believe you can get the commands for IL2 by a file on disk 2. However, I wish it were available online as I am not ALWAYS playing at my house and need different key bindings.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

If you're lucky, the game will include a keyboard layout of the default binds. Unfortunately, it seems games these days are sparse with extras. Sometimes they can't even spare the money to include a plastic CD case.

I guess if there isn't a keyboard layout included, you could try rummaging through config files. Sometimes it's in plain text and you can see all the key bindings. I think your idea of just taking screenshots of the setup screen is best.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

You can do it with HL games. e.g. for cs:s open

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\coun ter-strike source\cstrike\cfg\config.cfg

with notepad and hit print.

Probably similar for most quake-engine based games I imagine.
                Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X