Arma debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma debate

I have been hearing alot about this arma but dont know exactly what it is...I know I should prob. seacrch for it on the internet but decided TG is a more realiable source so If you have and info and/or screenshots from Arma they would be greatly appreciated :D

Re: Arma debate

ArmA (Armed Assault) is a first person shooter made by Bohemia Interactive, which could translate as being the "official" sequel to Operation Flashpoint, one of the most realistic shooter of all time.

ArmA, even tho being listed as an FPS, is actually a First Person Simulation Shooter. This is not the kind of game for average joe who likes to go out there to run an gun. ArmA is a much much much slower paced game with very steep learning curves.

It recquires far more than regular shooting skills. Its recquires patience and dedication. It might sound boring, as its not the kind of game most people are used to. The fact that its a slow game throws off a lot of people. But if you're looking for a very realistic game that puts you in the shoes of a soldier, ArmA is made for you.

ArmA is based on the VBS engine, which is a software used by modern military (like the US and Canada) to train their soldiers.

I could got on and on and on oh what ArmA is all about. But the best way to see how we play it here at |TG| is to take a look at our After Action Report forum, located here:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ction-reports/

Some of them even have videos or screenshot. We're always looking for smart, mature and dedicated players to play on the TG server and you are more than welcome to give it a swirl.

One last thing, please do me (and you) a favor. Dont play the demo. Dont even think about touching that damn thing. Its buggy as hell and will most likely throw you away from the game (almost did for me, fortunately I was an Operation Flashpoint player and I gave in anyway...I havent played a game so much in my entire life as I do with ArmA).

When you start to play in, its literally sucks you in. You will not look at any other FPS the same way after. I swear.

Xmaster.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

Just go on the arma lounge chanel when Socomseal, generalcarver, or I, ghost02 am on and we will spend around 2 hours listing the weapons list alone, and I am serious, 2 hours. Come by the arma lounge and ask!
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Cool thx...Will prob get this game if I can convince Dad to try it too...Hes addicted to these kind of simulation games :D
        Reaper

Comment

Originally posted by Mango_Tango View Post
          Cool thx...Will prob get this game if I can convince Dad to try it too...Hes addicted to these kind of simulation games :D
          Reaper
          Well if you don't get ArmA because your dad aint, you're seriously missing out on something. If he doesnt and you do, he'll just see how awesome it is and he'll get it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

ARMA2 should be out in a few months (crossing fingers for hope), but if you really want to try ARMA1, you can get the black box copy (all you need to play at TG), for $5 or less from Amazon.com and Ebay (new shrinkwraped box)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Arma fits the TG mission very nicely. It requires and rewards cooperation and teamwork. Many missions will feature twenty or more players broken up into several squads working together to achieve multiple objectives. The cooperation here can go beyond covering your buddies. You might have one group landing by small boat and using AT weapons to kill an Anti-aircraft gun so that a larger group of troops can land via helicopter. A sniper team might be up on high ground observing the enemies positions and movements and reporting that back to the commander so that the rest of the infantry groups can move into the city without being ambushed.

The weapon list is very long. SMGs and carbines are good for mobility but don't have the range or hitting power of some of the heavier guns. On the other hand, sniper rifles can disable vehicles and kill over great distances, but they're impractical in a firefight. All weapons have realistically modelled ballistic characteristics. Accurate shooting from great distances, ~1000m, requires you to compensate for wind and bullet drop.

It's a pretty neat game. If you enjoy infantry fighting games and simulations I would suggest trying it.

Comment

The ACE mod should be mentioned here. It is fantastic, and adds a whole new dimension to combat in Armed Assault. It is also used on the tactical gamer servers.
                Features are way to many to list in this thread, you can read about some of them here:

http://www.acemod.net/wiki/Category:ACE_features

If you are one of the many who got Armed Assault at release, but unnistalled in disappointment because of bugs/performance issues etc, this is definitely the right time to give it a second chance. they have done a good job at patching it.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Well, I have played on the TG server only a couple times, but every time I am on it, I love it. Like said above, it fits in exactly to the TG primer. If you dont work as a team, your fire fight is going to be very short.

However, at the start of playing it can be frustrating. The realistic bullet characteristics are a bit awkward at first, and take getting used to. Also, I found just finding the enemy's and lining them up at first can be difficult, due to the distances your fighting over, there just not in your face.

Comment

Did they ever remove Starforce from ARMA? It always seemed like a really interesting game but I never bought it because of the copy protection.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                      Did they ever remove Starforce from ARMA? It always seemed like a really interesting game but I never bought it because of the copy protection.
                      Yeah. They removed it in on of the patches I believe. And you also don't need the CD to be in the drive anymore to be able to play it.

The BigC

Comment

As I have always posted in every arma thread I come across like this:

DO NOT TRY THE DEMO AND DO NOT PLAY THE SINGLE PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The demo is horrible compared to a patched up game (demo came out like 2 years ago). And the single player is buggy as hell. I was pissed when I bought the game and tried playing the single player. Only did 2-3 missions, and couldn't believe I had spent my money on the game. Couple days later I was board and decided to look and see if TG had a server up, jumped in, and now I'm an ARMA admin :icon_eek: :row__523:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          ACouple days later I was board and decided to look and see if TG had a server up, jumped in, and now I'm an ARMA admin :icon_eek: :row__523:
                          And now you're breeding babies with me. Damn we both have come a long way since we bought that game....a long way indeed.

The BigC

Comment

Are there many people playing this? Last thing I want is to get a game and find all the servers just sit empty :)
                            When you can't run, you walk. When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't do that, you get someone to carry you.

Comment

ArmA is always populated, at peak hours we have between 30-50 players and on fridays and sudays we have orginized events with 50-70 people.
                              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X