Good Starting Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Starting Cars

Well, I just got a job at a jewelery store at my local mall buying gold, I make 7.25/hr plus commission and I was wondering what are some good cars to start off with that you will be able to mod and customize

Re: Good Starting Cars

In the UK good starting cars are Peugot 106, Renault Clio, Mini Cooper, you know, small European cars, but i don't know what cars you'll be able to get in Florida.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
    "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Depends on what you want really. A import or American car, that is probably the first question to answer.

Comment

Japanese Cars
        Last edited by Barrel Chest; 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

At your wage, you are going to want to make your first priority reliability. Pretty much any Honda Civic fits that bill. It will also be easy to mod, although anything besides an Si probably won't be worth modding at all, as you can't squeeze too much horsepower out of a 1.6L Civic if that's all you can afford.

Also, unless you are preparing it for motorsports, I personally think modding out a junker is about the tackiest thing you can do. But if that's your thing, there are probably more aftermarket parts for the Civic than any other car.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Well my goal is to save up around $5000 - $7000

Comment

What do you mean by mod?
              To me this means: Buying a not abused 4cylinder 89 Mustang coupe and within a year I will be driving a destroked 351 with a hairdryer or your preferred choice of forced induction.

What do you want to do with the car?
              Do you want to go fast in a straight line?
              Are you gonna go do the twisties?
              Do you want cosmetic mods?
              Do you want to mod it so it can get 64mpg and do that in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                What do you mean by mod?
                To me this means: Buying a not abused 4cylinder 89 Mustang coupe and within a year I will be driving a destroked 351 with a hairdryer or your preferred choice of forced induction.

What do you want to do with the car?
                Do you want to go fast in a straight line?
                Are you gonna go do the twisties?
                Do you want cosmetic mods?
                Do you want to mod it so it can get 64mpg and do that in the city?
                lol, no kidding. I think he wants a ricer though.

I guess gold standard ricer would be a civic. Some advice though, if your looking for mods that look good you'll be ok with your budget. Although if your trying to go fast, it doesn't matter if it is a mustang, camaro, civic, whatever, it is not cheap by no means and unless you have a lot money, no where near reliable.

Comment

^ i agree with what he says.. if you want a better one save more..
                  If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

If I stretch my goal to $10000, i gave more choices :
                    Lexus SC300
                    Nissan 240SX S14
                    Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
                    Honda Civic SI EP3
                    92-99 Honda Civic EX
                    Scion TC
                    Acura Integra GSR or LS

Comment

My first car (in 1997) was a 91 Honda Civic hatchback. I paid 5k for it. Had 89k miles on it when I bought it and was in great condition. I never modded it (cause rice is the teenage equivalent of porsche-drivers-compensation), drove it until the odometer read well over 135k, sold it to a buddy of mine for a thousand dollars, and hes still driving it today. The only problem it's had to this day is the alternator going out once back in 2003. Other than that it still drives like brand new. Not bad for an 18 year old car.

Comment

DSM GSX. Cheap, huge aftermarket, tons of power potential, the 99 models still look very, very slick.

Comment

My advice.....

If it has to be Jap - save the Money and get a used Subaru Impreza!

$10,000 buys you a 90,000 mile WRX, 2004 model which blows the doors off any of the cars mentioned in your list!

Or if insurance is an issue and a much lower mileage and much newer car yet some of the same fun and looks
                          http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

But personally if you want to accept that value of your new purchase goes out the window, then buy a Nissan or a Honda.

Seriously consider a VW Golf, or any German car for that matter. BMW 3 series are pretty cheap and make a damn nice sound when modded as well as looking a little more stylish than a Nissan.

Audi A4 is another one to consider.

But my pick....for bomb proof reliability and "shat" off a shovel performance straight out of the box....you canno touch the IMPREZA... will skin a Mustang alive and most importantly just wont BREAK!!! How many GM/Ford products can you say that about...
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

yeah i would definantly look at a Golf or something european. You can get a VW golf in great condition for a really good price. I bought mine at 14 grand with 40000 miles on it from a dealer. Of course i got lucky and bought it the day after it was turned in after a lease. I saved about 6 grand because the selling price would have been about 20 grand had i waited another day.

If you want mine you can buy it from me. I am close to buying a VW CC and can't wait to have that sitting in my driveway. Of course your going to have to drive all the way to maine to buy it :)
                            FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

I like Subarus, my first car was a Subaru and I currently own another one, however I wouldn't recommend a WRX as a first car for a couple of reasons: a WRX is more than likely more car than a young driver can handle as a first car, AWD is an acquired taste and it consumes a lot more than comparable four bangers. For a guy that makes 7 bucks and change a car that drinks a bit more than average will put a hole in his wallet. Also, with a more complex transmission come added chances for things to go wrong and for added expense.

My advice is the following: buy something cheap and reliable, take it to a mechanic you trust and freshen up all the fluids with some good stuff and then don't spend another dime on it except for gas. Even a reliable car will need some maintenance so you better start saving. From that car fund you can draw maintenance and some time down the road you'll be able to upgrade to a better car. By then you'll probably be able to afford some proper mods (as in engine, suspension, brake mods) but I would still keep it a sleeper. It's a lot more fun and it probably won't go out of style.

I still drive my second car: a 94 Nissan Sentra XE. It's a great little car that is about to turn 200.000Km on the odometer.

The VW and other german cars are not all that reliable and parts are very expensive compared to other brands. I know because my cousin has worked for BMW, my dad has owned a couple of VWs and I have a couple of friends that own Audis and they are always having problems...minor ones, but expensive ones. If you only make 7 bucks an hour you'd be one turning signal repair away from walking again because you wouldn't be able to afford it.

Keep it simple.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X