Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Music in TG videos on YouTube.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Music in TG videos on YouTube.

So my question is this. For those of you who use music in your videos, what do you do to make sure the music you use is permitted, or do you even care at all? I'm asking this because I just bought Fraps and will be making videos myself and obviously music helps convey mood or just helps flesh out the video in some cases, but I want to try and make sure that I'm doing this correctly.

So I want the opinions of those of you who use YouTube to host your videos that have music in them. Pretty much I'm worried about Copyright stuff.
    sigpic

Re: Question about Music in TG videos on YouTube.

I do not see a problem with using anyones music as long as you say whose music it is and you are making no financial gain from using it, but youtube may have issues with it.

Comment

Right, I was planning on giving the title and artist of any song I used in a video.

Though right at this moment another question just popped into my head to go along with my original. Are there any places like YouTube that are specifically for games? I don't even know if such places exist, but I would think that if they did exist they would be a better place to host my videos.
      sigpic

Comment

There are TG people here that would know more about this than I would so maybe they will chime in and give you some good advice.

But xfire I think lets you upload videos of games, try that, but you may have to use xfire to record the footage.

Comment

Thanks MrMojay for the advice. I'll give xfire a look.

My questions are still open for input. Thanks for all the help in advance.
          sigpic

Comment

Er yes and no...

If you say who the music is...YouTube invariably block all sound on the vid due to Warner Music Group or Sony Music Group etc copyright protection.

I believe the way they track this is by mentioning who the music is...

Youtube does have a list of royalty free music... but sometimes you just have to put the music you feel is appropriate.
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I make it mine. That's how I shall rule the world.

As BD said, YouTube has a list of royalty free music. But out of the thousand videos I've seen on youtube, I think I've came accross one or two muted ones. So in the end it doesnt really matters, there is way too many submissions to moniter them all.

I dont think its a problem using somebody's elses video as long as you're not making money out of it and give them credits.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
              The BigC

Comment

That makes sense. I for one never really understood the whole problem in the first place. If I was an music artist and I saw my music in a video not created by me, I would be fine with that. It just means more advertising for my music. I personally have gotten into many bands because of YouTube videos and now go out and buy their music off of iTunes and retail.

To me at least it seems like a bad decision by publishers to want music in videos removed. They lose free advertising.

In the end I'll probably will be using music in my own library for my vids (will also check out Youtubes music) and making sure to credit the bands who made the music. Thanks for the input everyone.

If anyone knows answers to my other abstract question about the existence of a site regularly used by gamers to upload videos then feel free to let me know.
                sigpic

Comment

There's also wegame. It has its own recorder, but I believe you can upload videos recorded in other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetheren View Post
                    That makes sense. I for one never really understood the whole problem in the first place. If I was an music artist and I saw my music in a video not created by me, I would be fine with that. It just means more advertising for my music. I personally have gotten into many bands because of YouTube videos and now go out and buy their music off of iTunes and retail.

To me at least it seems like a bad decision by publishers to want music in videos removed. They lose free advertising.

In the end I'll probably will be using music in my own library for my vids (will also check out Youtubes music) and making sure to credit the bands who made the music. Thanks for the input everyone.

If anyone knows answers to my other abstract question about the existence of a site regularly used by gamers to upload videos then feel free to let me know.
                    I believe the issue is not losing free advertising for the music. Legally, somebody has to pay royalties to the copyright owner whenever the music is played in public. If you watch a video on YouTube that has music with a royalty contract, the owner gets paid. The problem is who has to pay out? It's a messy legal issue.

In the end, use whatever music you want in your videos. If it infringes copyright, YouTube will take it down for you. It's your risk so be aware of it. It's happened to one of TE's videos when using a song by Disturbed.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Actually, youtube analizes the video while processing, and can look at the wave lengths or something and match it up to copyrighted music (or video if it is like from a movie). I have an app on my Iphone for instance where I just hold the phone up to the speaker and it will tell me in like 5 sec. what the song is (then has links to buy it from Itunes.)

For instance, I bought a song from Amazon.com (which is sold DRM free by the way) and synced up my video to it perfectly. Then when I uploaded to youtube, they let the video post but striped the music. But they offer the option to swap music (called audioswap), and have a long list with a bunch of random crap music. I ended up just finding a song that was the same length and went with it. I hate the song though.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xog2wEEv08[/media]

Notice in my info about the video I mention I'm not happy about it deleting my set music. Oh well.

You can download the real video the way it is supposed to be seen here
                      http://www.divshare.com/download/4124359-b1f

Looks 10x better than on youtube anyway. Worth the download :D

On the other hand, I wanted to upload a short clip showing a feature of ARMA, and didn't plan on adding music, but audioswap made it easy to add a decent background track.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ5GAFGPSaU[/media]

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Read the YouTube help section: Copyright. It says that you should ask permission from the owner of the song/video clip, and that copyright owners REQUEST videos to be taken down. Therefore if you ask the owners persmission and teel youtube you have persmission to use it then it shouldnt be taken down. However of course ask the owner of a song isnt easy.So perhaps you should just take a chance and upload the music

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
                        "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

The only problem I see with most music on videos is that it leans towards one end of the music spectrometer. I like it when people put in music everyone can enjoy, like Yakkity Sax, or Queen.

Comment

Having tried to upload again another video without any comments to artist they pulled the Audio. It's mainly Warner Music Group..... B'stards! I personally have actually gone to Itunes and bought and paid for at least 10 tracks having heard them on a video on YouTube because I liked the track.

By doing this, they will actually REDUCE the amount of music legally purchased.

There is no doubt they can "sense" the background track and if it matches the vast portfolio given to them by WMG then your music and ALL your audio gets pulled.... sucks!
                            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Well I've been looking at WeGame and it appears that I can upload videos using a different recording device (ex: Fraps). Once I actually test it to make sure I can upload I think I'll be using Wegame instead of Youtube to host my vids. I'll have to look up Wegame's policy on music in videos, which I am hoping is much more lenient than YouTube's. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X