Car Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Repair

With the hopes of being able to save some extra money, I was thinking about looking into taking care of some of my own car maintenance. Also the more I meet people that claim to be "competent" the less faith I have in said competent people. Not to say all mech shops are not worth their oil, I just don't like the idea of me dropping of my car to have them to wave a magic stick at it, do a dance, and of course move my seat. Then I drive off my car trusting everything was done correctly, or even done at all.

Any who, can any one here point in the right direction towards self car maintenance enlightenment?

Re: Car Repair

Go to NAPA, autozone or one of those car places and buy a repair manual. Search online for forums pertaining to your type of car and search them for writeup threads on whatever you want to do. When I first got my car I was clueless as to how to do anything. I went online, found a forum and kept searching and reading threads for whatever I needed to fix. If I had questions I posted, and there were many knowledgeable people there to answer my questions. I went from not knowing what anything was to being able to put new springs and shocks on my car all by myself last spring. I'm still no mechanic by any means, but I can do the basic repairs and maintenance to keep me going and in turn save some dough :D.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I agree with what thegreatnardini says. About 9 years ago I got my first car that I was able to toy around with (second car -1991 Eagle Talon). Reading up on the forums and having a buddy who had learned to work on them was the best way for me to learn. I was able to follow pictorials of how to do repairs , start doing them on my own and eventually learned enough to do an engine rebuild.

Long story short, I always tell people this: Repairing a car is similar to repairing a computer -you need to break it down into the smaller pieces and understand them. Once you do that you can better understand the larger system and begin to figure out why things happen, or what's broken when something stops running. Then it's just a matter of taking things apart, one thing at a time, to isolate the problem and fix it. It's daunting if you look at the whole thing at once, so take small steps.

hth

Comment

You should definitely pick up a Haynes manual for your car... It's got step-by-step guides for everything you might want to do, from rebuilding an engine to changing your oil. It also has pretty good pictures to show you what they're talking about in each step.

I put a new clutch in my old Integra (which requires dropping the entire transmission out the bottom of the car) using a Haynes manual... no problemo.

Comment

Also if there's an auto forum for your car, I'd suggest joining up there. For example, I signed up years ago on VWvortex.com and usually check their forum if somehting goes awry before I do anything. Not only do you get the fix, but you also find out a lot more about your car including if that component or others, are prone to breaking.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

what all kind of work are you looking to do. oil, brakes, etc. most of the little maitenence work on a car is very easy.

Comment

Hey thanks for the help all, some good advice. I checked for a Haynes but they do not have my car (03 Mitsubishi Lancer ES) sadly, that seemed like it would be a really good reference. Ya I am looking to do basic stuff, oil, brakes, filters ect. Also the mech shop said I should looking into changing my cooling, transmission, and brake fluid as my car is over 78k mi. So not sure if this is true but I was going to look into those things as well.

Comment

Basic stuff like oil, brakes, filters, and fluids are really easy. The manual that came with your car probably has the locations for different fluids and filters labeled. Changing oil and brakes is pretty standard on all cars, so you don't really need a specific model manual to learn how to do that. Someone here could probably give you general step by step instructions on how to change your oil.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                  Hey thanks for the help all, some good advice. I checked for a Haynes but they do not have my car (03 Mitsubishi Lancer ES) sadly, that seemed like it would be a really good reference. Ya I am looking to do basic stuff, oil, brakes, filters ect. Also the mech shop said I should looking into changing my cooling, transmission, and brake fluid as my car is over 78k mi. So not sure if this is true but I was going to look into those things as well.
                  http://forums.evolutionm.net/

http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/forum/

Take a look around. They should be able to help you out.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Also, Autozone will let you rent pretty much any tool you need for FREE. You just lay down a deposit. I rented an a/c vacuum (FOR FREE) from them before which normally would cost a lot to buy. I put in a new a/c compressor on my own using the haynes manual referred to above. Also done a clutch, axles, brakes, and even rebuilt an rx-7 engine (which is easy being rotary). You'd be amazed at what you can do on your own by following those guides and with the help of internet forums. These jobs are not always easy, and can sometimes be challenging, but you can save a ton of money on labor.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      These jobs are not always easy, and can sometimes be challenging, but you can save a ton of money on labor.
                      +1

The additional benefit is knowing that you did it right b/c you care more about your car than someone paid to look at it will.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                        You should definitely pick up a Haynes manual for your car... It's got step-by-step guides for everything you might want to do, from rebuilding an engine to changing your oil. It also has pretty good pictures to show you what they're talking about in each step.

I put a new clutch in my old Integra (which requires dropping the entire transmission out the bottom of the car) using a Haynes manual... no problemo.
                        I'll second this, although I think that Chilton's manuals are quite a bit better: http://chilton.cengage.com/totalcare.aspx Chilton has online access and CDs, too.

I've used both Haynes and Chiltons, and Haynes has screwed me over several times with incorrect information.

But, yeah, one of these manuals should be purchased the same time you purchase a vehicle.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Mitsubishi is getting bad about holding there info for them selfs, you can buy a Repair Manual for your car, but it well not be cheap.

http://www.books4cars.com/viewcart.a...s&BookID=33130

That would be the same book that a mitsubishi dealer would use if you took you care to one.

You can buy a cheaper book that covers a large range of Asian imports.

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...uct/1401867170

That book covers more of the major repairs that you would be doing to your car ( ie. rebuilding engine, transmisson, and suspension systems) Not sure how it would cover the basic things.

If you need any more info PM or Xfire= Blackdog1951

I am more of a domestic automotive mechanic, but i am having to work on more and more imports, seems they are taking over.

Snowman out

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            I'll second this, although I think that Chilton's manuals are quite a bit better: http://chilton.cengage.com/totalcare.aspx Chilton has online access and CDs, too.

I've used both Haynes and Chiltons, and Haynes has screwed me over several times with incorrect information.

But, yeah, one of these manuals should be purchased the same time you purchase a vehicle.
                            Oh yeah! I forgot about Chilton. I've used both and the Chilton books are better IMO. They seem to go into a lot more detail.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Hmmm have not done an in depth search but I do not think Haynes or Chilton's carry a book for my car. There is a bunch of stuff for "Lancer Evolution" but nothing for a "Lancer ES". Do they make a general car repair book?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X