Video I made for a contest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video I made for a contest

So Bicycling magazine is giving away a free bike (up to $5,000 value) for the best video submitted to their website.

I made this and was hoping for some feedback from you guys :)

Theme: Why I need a new bicycle.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: Video I made for a contest

not bad, the depression "Topic" probably isn't going to be much a winner though...

It inspires sympathy, which most people are Dicks and give little.

Comment

I agree, but it's the only angle I could come up with for my video.

Good side is that the people at bicycling magazine are voting on it, not the general internet visitors

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

When you say a new bike, are you talking about a regular ol' bicycle or a motorbike?

If it's a regular human-powered bike, then I don't really see how the whole depression thing is going to help.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What kind of ride are they giving away?

Im a Bianchi man myself.

Sarcoma
          Sarcoma.

Comment

I personally don't think the depression angle is the right way to go but it's up to the magazine's judges.
            And the repeating "where are they!" with the sledgehammer is a bit...i dunno...bad-youtube-mash-up-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
              What kind of ride are they giving away?

Im a Bianchi man myself.

Sarcoma

Anything from the April buyer's guide, up to $4,999. As you can tell, I'm a Cannondale guy :)

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                When you say a new bike, are you talking about a regular ol' bicycle or a motorbike?

If it's a regular human-powered bike, then I don't really see how the whole depression thing is going to help.
                Yes a regular ol' bicycle, does wonders for depression. Motorbike, meh, doesn't interest me

Originally posted by kevlarorc View Post
                I personally don't think the depression angle is the right way to go but it's up to the magazine's judges.
                And the repeating "where are they!" with the sledgehammer is a bit...i dunno...bad-youtube-mash-up-ish.
                Soooooo, nothing constructive, just "bad-youtube-mash-up" ?

ummmm thanks?

Comment

Exercise is actually a very good way to battle depression in my experience, and yes, I battle with it too. Exercise obviously helps with weight control/loss, toning, etc. which can only make you feel better about yourself. It releases natural body chemicals which create a sort of high which can help fight negative emotions. It gives you time away from the normal day to day stresses and negative feelings associated with things going on in life.
                  |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                    Anything from the April buyer's guide, up to $4,999. As you can tell, I'm a Cannondale guy :)
                    Holy crap! You can get one hell of a ride for that kind of cash.

Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

I assume from your request for feedback that you have time and are willing to rework your video before the deadline so here goes.

The face rubbing went on a bit too long at the beginning.

I liked the crazy boss thing but the acting was unconvincing (the tone of voice). Also, I expected the "boss" to smash that monitor but, uuh, I guess that would take a bite out of your "budget". :)

If you're going to do a character there is no half way, you have to really commit to it.

I think the depression angle is a viable one but you have to put a more upbeat spin on it. I'm not sure what it's been like where you are but the weather hasn't been too bad around here, why don't you go out and get some bike and trail sights and sounds? I couldn't hear that bike wheel, the cogs, etc. Contrary to what you may think sound is just as important or more than image in a video. The drawn out silences and lots of type on the screen also don't work very well, in my opinion. You'd be better off with more upbeat images and using voice-over. The beauty/dread of voice over is that you only have to get it right ONCE but/and you can try as many times as you like.

I can do voice over for you but I have a bit of an accent.

There is more but I want you to focus on those because I think those are the elements that make or break your video and I don't want to overwhelm or demoralize you.

If you need help let me know and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

Comment

Thanks, Louco

Unfortunately, I really don't have the time to rework the video. I'm just always open to suggestions on how to improve. I didn't spend the time I wanted to on the video, but I thought it came out pretty well.

I appreciated the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                          ummmm thanks?
                          You asked for feedback and I gave it. I felt like the depression aspect was the wrong approach as others have said. I couldn't think of any descriptive word for what I was trying to say which is why I said what I did in the second sentence. The clip repeating several times is just something I often see in youtube videos of people falling, 'failing', crashing on skateboards, etc. I still can't think of a proper word for it though. It wasn't meant to be some derogatory sentence, I just can't think of a word to describe what it seemed like when watching that 2 seconds of the video. I think the sledge hammer may have had just as much effect or more if it had just been the two actual hits shown.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X