Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial Iraq War game dropped by publisher

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51b_1240942593

Dam this might have been the next BF2 game ........

Re: Controversial Iraq War game dropped by publisher

That is too bad....that game looked really promising here at TG.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

This Political Correctness', fault I assume? It would be amazing for Multiplayer, like a combination of HL2 Insurgency mod, and the Insurgency game mode from PR.

Comment

Maybe the game just sucked. I think here is probably more to it than what that blurb above the video. When has a game developer not liked the "this is bad" label? Seems to only increase game sales.

All they had to do was rename it. Maybe move a few buildings around.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It had potential until the devs decided that they no longer wanted to make the game realistic and instead was going to take the cod route. The hype of the game fizzled when they announced that change of direction imo. An online insurgency mode would not fly, it really annoys me as to how insensitive project reality is, a mainstream publisher wouldn't be able to get away with that same sort of online gameplay. Playing as the taliban and setting ieds, no, a lot of people would be upset with thay as they very well should be.

Comment

Playing as the taliban and setting ieds, no, a lot of people would be upset with thay as they very well should be.
            No more so than with Counter-Strike terrorists being able to shoot people in the face.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              No more so than with Counter-Strike terrorists being able to shoot people in the face.
              Or the counter terrorists oppressing the freedom fighters in the face by blasting them in the face with an AWP and then teabagging them...

and I see no reason why someone who does or doesnt play games should be offended by virtual taliban setting virtual IEDs and blowing up a virtual convoy... and vice versa of a virtual US convoy going into a virtual iraqi town and virtually killing the 4 virtual insurgents that were in there plus the virtual civillians. Hah, i make myself laugh.
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I have read a bit on this, of the scant info that is actually available. Of what I've read I've liked two opinion pieces on this. The first is "Rated M for... Mature?" by Christian Ward of The Escapist (which is how I heard about this) and the second is a blog post by Desert Hat. Both of them hit on one key question a possible* Six Days in Fallujah concept will ask, does a game have to be fun? Of course, asking such a question here is a little silly. I mean we have people that willfully play PR (or is it PoE?).

Although, before I get too far away from the concept of "fun", I do want to throw down some delimiters. This is not to be confused with something being "enjoyable". To make a connection to film, it's like how Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker are both good and enjoyable films, but they're are a bit hard to watch as they're not the kind of films we're used to seeing. To be blunt, they'll boring and a whole host of other, less good films, would be "funner". (I've probably made a mess of what I was trying to say with this statement. :p)

Of course, one of the important elements of what makes games (FPS's in particular) fun is, as Desert Hat aptly stated, fairness. That you can spot out the booby traps on the floor of the temple because of the discolored floor panels. A hapless NPC rushes ahead of you to get blown up by a mine, telling you to turn on your mine detector that shows all the mines in a 50 m radius. Or, for a more concrete example, in Left 4 Dead when you hear a witch crying or a Boomer gurgling (or whatever nasty sound it makes).

Let's take the Left 4 Dead concept and tweak it a little it become much more "real". To start off, the Survivors are just that, survivors, they randomly may have handled a weapon before, but, for the most part they aren't very effective with them, and don't get much better as the game progresses. Also, there is no "immunity" to the infection and once bitten you have no clue when you'll turn and then its game over. And after the finale, you get checked to see if you've been wounded, and all those that have any scratches are killed on spot. So, yeah, that's more believable, but how fun would it be to play?

And another thing is that generally, as "the player", you have special abilities that make you better in general than all those around you. You have regenerative health, armor that reduces the effectiveness of weapons, super powered gadgets (like the mine detector), and a whole host of other gimmicks that make you, even without your "advanced human brain", better than most of your allies and enemies.

*Possible in the sense that we aren't talking about completed game, or even one with a demo.

Oh, and on the whole Counter-Strike thing, the terrorists, as portrayed, are little better than the Indians of old cowboy films, lacking both bite and definition that would elicit any sort approximation of emotion one feels about the real topic.
                BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

*sigh* its too bad they don't do the same with the crappy tabloids, or the scrolling ticker on msnbc, fox, and cnn............some people can't decipher between video games and reality..........kind of pathetic, especially with GTA being so popular, you can get a hooker, pay her then kill her and get your money back......
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Personally, I'm a little disappointed that the publisher decided to drop this. I think it's high time games tackled "sensitive" subjects. Fallujah was perhaps some of the most hectic combat since Vietnam. A good topic to be educated about. I think its good that developers are starting to explore these things in same artistic context as films like BHD, Jarhead, etc.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...