X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste in Pictures

This was just posted on Gizmodo:

This Is What 426,000 Discarded Cellphones Looks Like

But I clicked through to the real site, and it is really amazing.

http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php

This guy takes everyday objects, and combines a ton of them into a monster wall mural so give people an actual idea of the usage.

For example

Prison Uniforms, 2007
    10x23 feet in six vertical panels

Depicts 2.3 million folded prison uniforms, equal to the number of Americans incarcerated in 2005. The U.S. has the largest prison population of any country in the world.
    Zoomed out, it looks like this:

Zoomed in some:

Zoomed in even more:

What it looks like in real life:

That is just one example.

Cans Seurat, 2007
    60x92"

Depicts 106,000 aluminum cans, the number used in the US every thirty seconds.

Tons more there at the link. Anyone else have any favs?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Waste in Pictures

Fascinating.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

That guy has ENTIRELY too much time on his hands.

Comment

I thought the prison uniform one was best. We live in exponential times...
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

This thread is begging for this:

Floating plastic in the Pacific about twice the size of Texas. (Plastic is 100% non-biodegradable by the way.)

Comment

If any of you guys have an iPhone, check out the Seadragon app, it is an amazing app in that is has these pictures as an example, as the are GIGAPIXELS in size, but there is zero loading time to zoom or anything, a great piece of kit, and great pictures. I liked the bulb one....

Comment

The dollar bill one was pretty sweet.

Comment

Neat!

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

This guy has clearly harnessed the awesome power of Ctrl+C / Ctrl+v

Comment

The U.S. has the largest prison population of any country in the world.
                    And Obama still won't re-legalize pot, dodging questions from his base about that. I predict that he'll lock up more pot smokers than Bush did, just as Clinton locked up more pot smokers than Bush the 1st.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Splendid View Post
                      Plastic is 100% non-biodegradable by the way.
                      While microorganisms won't eat it, I would think the sun would eventually reduce it. If I leave anything plastic out in my yard for a season, it gets brittle and falls apart.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Plastic does degrade over time, just like anything that gets put together eventually falls apart!
                        But plastic does take a long time compared to other materials, due to it's synthetic nature.

Comment

styrofoam lasts way longer than plastic. I read somewhere that it's decay rate is so high a foam cup will last longer than the egyption pyrmids

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            While microorganisms won't eat it, I would think the sun would eventually reduce it. If I leave anything plastic out in my yard for a season, it gets brittle and falls apart.
                            Falling apart into smaller pieces of plastic doesn't help. It takes a long time for the plastic to breakdown in to something that's not plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                              Falling apart into smaller pieces of plastic doesn't help. It takes a long time for the plastic to breakdown in to something that's not plastic.
                              While styrofoam floats, most of that stuff should sink once the parts that are holding air fall apart. It'll then be carried at geological speed to the nearest rift and then down below the earth's crust.

What we need to do is somehow get the garbage island to line up with the ozone hole so the extra UV breaks down the garbage faster.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X