Private Message Encryption Broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Message Encryption Broken

This morning we performed an upgrade of Tactical Gamer bringing us up to the latest back-end code. During this upgrade one of the modules we use that encrypts Private Messages broke.

With this encryption enabled the PM functionality of the site is ENTIRELY broken and will not work. With encryption disabled users are no longer able to read any old PMs. Old PMs simply show the encrypted contents stored in the database.

I have a new encryption system in place but it is completely incompatible with the old version. I am going to continue to work on the old system and see if I can get it operational again, but it doesn't look good.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Private Message Encryption Broken

Thanks for letting us know. =)

Good luck!

Comment

Well crap. I had some sentimental PMs in there! Eh, I'll live. Thanks much for the continued hard work boss!

Comment

I've not given up on it yet, it just looks very unlikely to recover. *sigh*

Comment

Good lord! No!

Now I really hope that Khareus printed out and saved all our messages in his file, as he supposed to do! (Didn't I tell ya that K?)
          Moreover, LuckyShot's messages from 2006 in October/November was my lifeline to hang onto.

All this correspondence that has been written through these years, can be forwarded to my solicitor/lawyer, when the file is safe and sound....

Oh, here they are

Apophis, God speed ;)

Comment

All my messages from admins admitting how much they fear my skills, gone

It is possible to save messages anyway I think so peoples will have done that hopefully

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Apophis. I'm not too worried myself but it's nice to know anyways :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                All my messages from admins admitting how much they fear my skills, gone

It is possible to save messages anyway I think so peoples will have done that hopefully
                It's quite possible to save messages. There are options at the bottom of your PM message list that let you export all your messages in a variety of formats.

Comment

FYI: If the PM is older than 1-30-08 I can still read it.
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                    FYI: If the PM is older than 1-30-08 I can still read it.
                    February 9th, 2009 for me.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Rats. That's too bad- this is the second batch I've lost to the encryption gods...

For some reason, even before it broke this time, I could never successfully export the things- they always exported encrypted, in any format I tried.

FWIW, I had around 440 messages that were lost, going back to October.
                      OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

Good luck, and thanks for the heads-up! :)

Comment

Of all my messages from 2008, exactly one is still randomly readable. The rest are lost.

All my PMs from 2007 or earlier still work though, so if you're worried about some PMs from that date range like Magrioteli was, check 'em and see if they're still functional. You might be in luck.

Comment

possible to throw a backup (from yesterday, unsecure, broken, etc) up on a subdomain? People could try to recover their messages at least.
                            Elkad

Comment

Are any of the PMs sent with the the current 'temp' system working or are we 100% dead in the water?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X