Men of War (COH on steroids) - $14.95 D2D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men of War (COH on steroids) - $14.95 D2D

Men of War is on sale on Direct2Drive for $14.95 (a complete steal). For those that are familiar with this series, it starts with Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2, then they released Faces of War, and now Men of War. This is a RTT (no base building) game, very detailed, tons of units, incredible physics engine, etc...

I compare it to COH only because both are the tactical genre and in World War II. Men of War is much more of a simulation than an arcadey type game such as COH. There are crap loads of units, you can play as US, UK, USSR, or Germany (and they are adding Japan in a free patch as well).

Good reviews from Metacritic as well:

Soldiers: HOWW2 - 77%

Faces of War - 67%

Men of War - 79%

It was also just released on Steam yesterday ($26.99). I'd really like to get some people playing in...

I've fallen out of the gaming scene kinda (well, friends-wise) and have no one to play games with anymore (yea, I know depressing). And playing by myself and trying to make friends is too tedious.

Also, this engine/game is highly moddable and there are mods out already which at units and vehicles (historically accurate) and realism mods (but they make the game ridiculous hard). There is also a realism rebalanced mod that's suppose to keep it as realistic as possible but make it fun (which means limiting some things since the maps are sometimes too small for realistic ranges).

It features online play (up to 16 players), many different modes, include coop through the single player scenarios.

Would there be interest in getting a group going for this, perhaps getting a forum up?

http://www.menofwargame.com/

--
    For those who don't know me, I joined a while back, during BF2 days (the TacMod) and led one gaming group for TG, Red Orchestra (which wasn't popular here and shut down despite many hours put into me modding it trying to make it better). Since then, I've been here off and on as time permits, but was pulled away for a long time when I started developing the COH mod Europe In Ruins (online persistent campaign) which won a few ModDB awards. I've since handed off that project, and my wife and I just had our first child.
    It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Re: Men of War (COH on steroids) - $14.95 D2D

Hmm, I may should have posted this in the Strategy Game forum... whoops!
    It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

I've been contemplating getting this game but held off when the demo kept crashing on my new rig. I'm not sure if it is a Vista issue or not... but I may look into this again.

If you'd like, write up a review (with some screenies) and post it to the Submit Content forum. Then we can get it up on the front-page and try to get some more interest for it and possibly a dedicate forum.

Edit: Congrats on the new kid!
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Just found this on the game requirements...

This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT or XP x64/Vista x64!
        </sigh>
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post

</sigh>

it dosnt support anything! what a suprise!

"im free of all predjudices, i hate everyone equally" -Brad
          "Fine, ill just talk to my fellow corpses!"-Chris G-AKA Miles Tegg

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post

</sigh>
            There are plenty of people running it on Vista x64. Not sure why the requirements say that...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=7424

I'm going to write up a review and see if I can generate some interest.

Comment

I've submitted my Men of War review, it's my first ever review, so hopefully it isn't so awful it just gets deleted... ;)

Comment

Steam won't let me install the demo for some reason... I wonder if it restricts it because I have vista x64. I'm downloading the demo directly from the website... though last time I tried that it wouldn't even install. We'll give this another shot because the game sounds great.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Not sure if the full game is different, requirements wise, but I played the demo on Vista 64 without any problems.

Comment

The demo either freezes on a black screen when I run it or I get the following error:

---------------------------
                    Exception
                    ---------------------------
                    Not SDL file! (esdlreader.cpp, 17)
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------
                    >> main
                    > file "@/profiles/player/settings.set"
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

I will download demo today, and most likely buy whole thing at Friday (pay day)!

EDIT: Oh demo was such fun when you finally got why you tank didn't shoot (it was tank's ammo that I tried to give my loyal soldiers >.<). Really getting this game, couldn't have enough. I hope voice acting gets better, only thing that annoyed me ;)

NOTE: Did they rise the price back to original O.o Would be shame to pay whole price when it was for sale just couple days ago!
                      Last edited by Mixa; 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Wow. I loved the demo. I'll definitely buy this.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X