Star Trek (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek (spoiler alert)

I just got back from an IMAX sneak preview at 7p.m. (I was actually on the news, dressed as a Vulcan)
    In short, best Trek movie since Khan... period, w/o a doubt.

I'm a Trekker, and I gotta say I was extremely fearful this movie would somehow suck or that I'd be letdown by the performance of a particular actor (I was especially fearful of Zachary Quinto's Spock). But, the movie blew my mind and the actors all did better then I could've hoped. Actually, they went beyond what I would've thought myself. All the major characters were nailed.

I wont go into it more than this until the discussion opens up a bit. But I will say this is one of those movies if you've got a family... take all of them and enjoy the moment, because that's exactly what this is. It's up there with seeing Indiana Jones or Return of the Jedi with the family (back in the day).

It's just that good. See it in IMAX if you can.

Re: Star Trek (spoiler alert)

i plan to see it on an imax soon, hopefully this weekend sometime

Comment

Have some fun. Go dressed up if you can. Really. It's worth it.
      This movie has just resurrected the franchise... a feat deserving utmost attention

Made me kinda wish I had kids that I could introduce Star Trek to, because they really nailed it in a cross-generational sense. Old-schoolers and new-schoolers will all like this movie. I foresee much clamoring to bring back the franchise to full face value, again... because this generation's kids are going to want their Trek, and they're gonna want it now.

Toys, games, movies, maybe a series... it's all coming back.

Comment

How embarrassing... :-p

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
          How embarrassing... :-p
          Bah. Not embarrassing. It was fun. And even better, we got to skip the line and got a lot of free stuff (huge collectible poster and T-shirt). We pretended to be authentic and acted like we were from the Trek 'verse. The Andorrian got upset when the news guy thought his antenna were fake. :)

Honestly, this was my 1st time in public dressed in Trek garb. But, what I found really interesting was the effect it had on people. The genre really resonates with the public... I mean really (and I'm not just talking about the people that dress up, quite the contrary). You see it on TV, but in person it's different and makes it seem a lot less corny and much more heartfelt. I dont recall (and I've dressed up before for many things) ever really seeing that kind of excitement and passion for a subject matter. It's kind of amazing really. Also that strange Trek "brotherhood" they speak of definitely exists. It's like some weird "wink wink," "nod nod" secret handshake feeling you have with eachother... like you know something others dont.

The whole phenomenon definitely goes well beyond the screen.

Anyways, I'm just happy they did such a good job with this movie.

Comment

Yeah, it's really funny on that end gambit. I have a few friends who are closet star trek fans and I talked one of them into going and seeing a midnight show last night (I'm a huge star trek fan, I was raised on the original series). Now, this guy, I've heard him commend on how ridiculous trekkies/sci-fi fans that dress up for conventions are, very vocally and using very unkind words. However, last night when we showed up and there were people in costume, he was nothing but complimentary, really kind of in awe that people have so much love for the series that they'd go to all that effort just for a movie premiere.

Oh yeah, we want pictures Gambit. I know you have some. Nobody does something like that (and gets on the news) without pictures. :D

Comment

Here it is. I kinda stayed in the background because I showed up late and the damned thing was Live, so I had no time to mentally prepare. I'm the Vulcan science officer. There's also more at the 11pm version I think.

I got interviewed after the movie individually for the local paper also. And got photographed about a million times. It's just a damned Spock outfit though, nothing big. Maybe it's the ears, I dunno.

p.s.
              chics like trek uniforms (the good ones anyways). I can conceive using the genre to parlay a costume into a few phone numbers indeed.

Comment

I went last night also and agree with you completely Gambit7.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Wow, if they're going to send someone to cover a major trekkie event like the premiere of a movie, they oughtta send someone who can do the vulcan hand sign right. Who knows, maybe even someone who has seen an episode or two? Sorry you had to endure the stupidity there gambit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    Wow, if they're going to send someone to cover a major trekkie event like the premiere of a movie, they oughtta send someone who can do the vulcan hand sign right. Who knows, maybe even someone who has seen an episode or two? Sorry you had to endure the stupidity there gambit.
                    s'okay, I'm used to it. I live in SoFla. The people down here arent your typical Trek types; as everyone well knows, some of the dumbest most un-cultured people on the planet come from down here.

I kid you not, off-camera the guy was asking what the movie was called.

But, on a brighter note, a lot more people than you'd think are "closet trekkies" or at least would like to be (even down here). That's what had me so surprised. Makes me want to attend a convention actually. (i've never been to one)

Anyways, anyone notice how "Ensign Olsen" was painted red?? (giggle) He died of course. As retconnish as this film was supposed to be, really it played more of an homage to Trek lore (the little tidbits like redshirts, green women, and the odd character idiosyncrasis) than many old-school trek films. Kinda like getting reaquainted with a long lost friend.

Very similar to Batman: Begins in a way, where many comic phreaks actually were pleased with the result. But this movie was better than Batman though... easy. I bet they'll get to $500million in sales worldwide easily. Dont forget, Trek is even bigger outside of the U.S.

Can you imagine the chaos in places like Germany over this film?

Comment

So I went to go see it again this afternoon and was three times as impressed with it as last night (probably because I was tired when watching it last night and I was pumped today) and I have to say that its probably the best movie i've seen in 5+ years.

Then again, I'm also the kid who grew up to a daily routine of my dad coming home from work, turning on the original star trek on tv and watching it. Then later on as I grew up it was the next generation. Saw all of the movies in theaters that came out after I was born (including ST2 the year I was born). So being a trekkie is in my blood and was the stuff of my upbringing, so having this be an iconic thing is kinda second nature.

Just dont ask me for spoilers, cause I'll slap you and tell you to go watch it yourself. :D

Comment

Reviews are RT are awesome.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                          Yah, I saw that the night Trek came out. Supposedly it broke some kind of RT record (94%+) for percentage that liked the movie. I think it's well on its way to breaking the $500million mark. Man, they really struck a nerve with this movie. I wonder if the cast knows what they just got themselves into.

Comment

I seriously hope they either have another one coming down the pipe or a series lined up with the characters. I mean really, they could use them all. Zachary Quinto is probably gonna be freed up here pretty soon (god knows theyre going to have to off sylar for good eventually), Karl Urban said he took the McCoy role because hes tired of action movies, john cho is in cause the harold and kumar franchise is TU thanks to his partner going to work for obama...catching the drift here? :D

Comment

Yah, I kinda wished they produced this film like they did the LotR series. Hire the actors for a period of 10 years and pump out a movie every 2. That's what Trek really needs. I havent heard of anything else coming down the pike so we're probably going to have to wait a few years. :(

It IS an open IP, so it may or may not be an Abrams project. Abrams doesnt seem like the type of guy that wants to devote his entire career to Trek. He's not even a Trekkie. What they need is a guy like Roddenberry; unselfish and totally married to the genre.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X