?copyrights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?copyrights

HI, I have been a tattoo artist for 13 years and at the moment I live in a crappy part of the states near a military school, and thats pretty much all thats out here, oh we have a wallmart woho. I have worked in a couple of the 8 tattoo shops here, and out of the 30 or so artist spread about there is only a select few that can do a decent tattoo. I know cause I was constantly fixing other peoples scared or ****ty tattoos. Many of them are drug addicts or pervs or just plain *******s. I havnt worked in a shop for about a year cause I was sick of the BS that you have to put up with. Another problem is the taxi service out here will only take the troops to the shop that pays 10, 20 bucks a head unless they tell the driver exactly were they want to go. But many of them dont know the area and new people are constantly arriving and leaving so having a good reputation dosn't help. So I decided to open a shop that is worthy of serving our military and I come up with a few ideas to help fight the extortion and give the troops somthing fun to do , problem is I don't know if it is legal. Fact is there is nothing out here to do I mean nothing, and many of the troops are young gamers so I thought what if I had 4 360,s with 4 large screens and on select days provide a certain multiplayer game and charge 20 bucks a head for a chance to win a 200 dollar tattoo, losers would get a shop Tshirt so everyone walked out with something and had some fun doing it + it would be good advertising, and maybe I would put some of those scratchers out of business and give the finger to the taxi service at the same time :) Just an Idea right now but any1 know if I could even do that legally? Thanks in advance for your input :)

Re: ?copyrights

Why would having a tournament with a prize be illegal?

Comment

charging to play an xbox game in tournament

Comment

Sorry missed the $20 a head part. I don't see any copyrights issues, but maybe some gambling?

When I play Texas Hold'em at a church they give the winners gift cards to local stores. They say it makes it makes it OK with the law, but I'm not sure their assumption is correct. The cops would much sooner go after a tattoo shop then a church though. The laws vary by state as well. I would check with a lawyer or at the very least a high ranking police officer.

Comment

There is no copyright issue involved in having a game tournament, unless you illegally copy game disks to feed the machines.

You might need to check with the local authorities to see if there is some sort of license/tax for holding the tournament itself, depending on the venue. Think fire-code people-in-room-limits, vendor tax if you are selling sodas there, etc. Probably they'll just tell you to keep it under 90 decibels.

It's not gambling because there is no simple element of chance (though that doesn't mean it's okay, IANAL). Poker revolves around a shuffled deck, craps around tossed dice, bingo around the ball hopper. Now, if you have people betting on who will win the tournament you're on the wrong side of the line. As for the gift cards, that sounds pretty flimsy. However, it prevents them from paying out money, which is important when you are a tax-exempt body.

Comment

No betting just a way to get people in the door and win a prize, 16 GI,s at 20 a pop would be 320, give the winner a free 200 tattoo and shirt, and all the others just a shirt, I was just wondering if there would be a problem with microsoft cause I am using there console and games to bring in a crowd. Not really charging to play but a chance to win something, and have a good time doing it.

Comment

no issues with the tournament itself, however, the advertising would be the iffy part. You would have to make sure it is ok to use the console name and the game name in your flyer / poster, but people have tournaments all the time with all kinds of products. You might want to see if the game company or a local gamestop would sponsor the event...

There is no gambling involved b/c you are competing - just like any other event (3 on 3 basketball, golf tournament, etc.) the fee is considered an entrance / registration / administrative fee, and as long as all prizes that you promise to give are actually distributed - no one should say anything.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

makes since to me, but wasnt going to advertise using xbox, just a sign up in the shop to be there on a certain day for the tournament, the advertising would be the shop t shirts they get after game + word of mouth. thx for all the replies, you all get a free 50 dollar tattoo :)

Comment

Can we see some portfolio?

Comment

The sad truth about copyright law is that it really boils down to this: Is it worth their time to take you to court.

99.9% of time the answer is no.

As long as you are not calling your shop "Microsoft Tattoo" or "Xbox Tats", then they probably will not care enough to even bother with a cease and desist.

Charging someone to play a game is not a crime by any means. There are actually a lot of places that rent out systems by the hour. The only way you could maybe get in trouble would be local ordinances or something like that. While rare, there are some communities that have laws on the books for raffles and similar. Otherwise, depending on your community, you may have to pay business and or sales taxes on the entry fee, or at least mark it as profit. but otherwise I don't really see an issue.

Then again, I am not a lawyer. If you are really concerned I would check with the local business association or your local city/township or whatever offices and ask. Never hurts to ask a few hypothetical questions.

| |

My friends call me Y. My enemies call me... well, that's a secret.

"The only reason I team killed you is because I though you were already dead...
                    ...Oh god, I just know that is going in someones signature" - Eroak

Comment

Ill set up a link to myspace soon as get my portfolio back from skin city tattoo, had thought about working there cause money is good but the guy that owns it is just a business man an not an artist and pays buy check every2 weeks YUK! He had my crap for 2 weeks and I havnt received a phone call back, I went to pick it up last week and his sec told me he was on vacation, I was pissed, anyway I will set up a link soon as I can.

Comment

How much tattoo can you get for $50? (Don't really want one, just curious.)
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
                          The sad truth about copyright law is that it really boils down to this: Is it worth their time to take you to court.
                          If you don't defend it against even one little guy, you run the risk of the court taking it away from you. That's why copyright holders are so draconian. It's not because they want to be mean, but because the law screws them, too.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

You are thinking about trademarks. Copyright violations you can sit on forever and attack at your leisure. Viz, RIAA. Trademarks carry a requirement of use. If you do not defend it, you can lose it; if you don't use it, someone else can.

Comment

50 dollars is usaly a shops minimum, you can get a name or small 2x2 tattoo somthing like a cherry or heart nothing to big or detailed. Tattoo's are expensive, but I always trick out my tattoos, so my 50 dallar tattoo will usally end up looking like a bad ass 80 dollar tattoo, just cause I can and because I love art, it makes people happy and its good for rep and keeps people comming back. Here is a couple tips for anyone wanting one.
                              1: always make sure the shop is clean looking, ask to see there autoclave and watch them set up for the tattoo. (I worked at a shop 1 time years ago where the guy would take the needle after a tattoo and put it in a plastic cup full of some solution and reuse it later, WRONG WRONG WRONG, I quit working there.
                              2:check there portfolio and see if the style is what your looking for and if they like doing what it is you want. ( this can be tricky cause I have known many to use other peoples work to boost up there portfolio, also a tattoo can look great when it is fresh but later fade or even become scared, so no matter how good there art is if they cant apply it right stay away.)
                              3:If you have chosen an artist trust him and make sure they seem excited about the tattoo, if there not into it you will get the basic just so they can get you in and out of the chair and on to there next in line. If they like doing what it is you want they will spend more time and effort getting it to look good. ( most tattooist I know hate doing tribal just cause it is boring )
                              4:Listen to him and dont be afraid to ask questions. ( I have had many people bring in there own drawings some good some not so good wanting it for there tattoo, If they say something needs to be changed or this could look better like this LISTEN TO THEM, (I have refused to do a tattoo just because a kid wanted exactly what it is they drew and would not take my advise, what people like that dont understand is not everything can be done the way it looks on paper also if I do an exact copy of there drawing and it sux cause they have no artistic skill people who see it will go "you got that where? EWWW!" and thats not good for rep or business.
                              5:Make sure they guaranty there work ( All my touch ups are free, cause I understand things happen, not all skin is the same, some hold ink well others dont and can end up with light spots or during the healing process it could get wet or scratched and end up with light spots. So any good tattoo artist that wants there work to look good will offer free touch ups.
                              6: Take care of your tattoo, first 2 weeks are critical. (Many shops will offer some care products or advice on the healing process, some are just trying to sell a product and some just dont know what there saying) Tattoo Goo, or any product made for healing tattoo's usually work but are expensive and not nessesary, so this is all you need to know , dont get it wet, a tattoo will scab some and if it gets wet and comes off prematurely you will have holidays (light spots or missing ink), dont sufficate it let it breath the bandage is only needed until you are done bleeding about 30 min to an hour depending on the person. Treat it like a road rash keep some kind of triple antibiotic lotion or such to help it heal, (light coats anytime it starts to look dry or crack up) stay away from petrolium products or lotions with smell goods, vassoline and such can pull the ink out and scented lotions can burn. Plain vitamine E lotion works fine. And always while in the sun for long periods (after it is healed) use a strong sun screen.
                              Oh 1 more tip if you dont know what you want wait till you do or you will always wish you didnt get it, if you have an idea but no picture tell a good artist they will make something nice and work with you ( its better to get something custom than pic something off a wall that you will share with thousands of others ) There are tattooist and then there are tattoo artist, try to find the artist, anyone with the knowledge of tools can trace and fill buy #'s but an artist can turn anything into something awsome you will love forever. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X