Find it hard to concentrate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find it hard to concentrate

So, currently I'm in exam period, and I need to be revising around 10 hours a day but sometimes I can barely make 5 hours. Anyone got any tips for focusing on work?
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Re: Find it hard to concentrate

Try tackling the coursework of your favorite class first. Or switch between projects every so often so you're not working on one thing and consuming most of your time.

I'm sort of in the same mind set. I just feel really lazy and bummed out right now.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't actually have problem with coursework at the moment (I get occasional presentations that I have to make and I have to write 12 page lab reports, but I have a generally good writing style and so can whip one of those out in one night with enough red bull and cider and a second day for spell checking), it's more revising and sitting down and doing exam papers. I mean we get very long questions, that can be around 30 minutes for one question which all though it maybe for one particular lecture set, will also include parts from the other lectures. I just start them, and then just sit and look at them and say, oh I can do that already, but I know if i look at them in detail their are small details I don't know. So I really actually do need to get my head down, just I'm too distracted.
      Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Get tested for ADHD. I had the same problem, and now I take medication to help, and it really does help.

Comment

Try breaking up your studies with something that you love. I know I get my music practice (2-3 hours a day) and my studying by alternating between the two.

Comment

Neh, I'm sure I don't have ADHD, I mean I day dream a lot and can spend a lot of time doing nothing just sitting and thinking, but that is natural procrastination. I mean during exams I can pay attention for long enough to always do well. Anyway, Im off to but some cans in the fridge. Alex

Comment

I'm the same way. I often daydream while trying to work, not to mention I'm a terrible procrastinator. I would go to the doctor and ask for a free trial of some of the common ADD medication and try it out. Most of them don't build up in your system so they get to work immediately. Once they wear off they're gone, so no big side-effects. I take them when I need to (exams, projects, long day at work, etc.) and no more, but man do they work wonders :row__631:.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

My mum is a doctor, I don't really approve of self prescription medicine, and she wouldn't either.

Comment

C'mon guys, he doesn't need medicated. You really think he should take pills for this? Alex, there's nothing wrong with you.

Go to a library or somewhere with few distractions, preferably where other strangers are studying. Start working in the morning, make sure you take a break for lunch. Drink water. Work through the exam papers until you can do each one without consulting your notes. After I've been going for a few hours and start losing concentration I'll get some kind of energy drink.

I think the best thing to do is get into a pattern. Say 9 - 6 or 7 each day. Good luck with exams if you haven't sat them already.

Comment

Yeah, structuring your time is key. Knowing when something is due, and setting a schedule for when you're going to work on it, and for how long, really makes things fly. I can be pretty bad at procrastinating (who isn't?), but when I make sure to structure my time, things fly. The library is a great start, because you're there to do your work, and you're not sitting by your computer, and everyone else is doing work.

Getting out and getting some good exercise is also pretty useful. There's days where I just can't do work and get too frustrated and have to get up and away from stuff. I run out the door for a bike ride or go mountain biking. I focus a lot better when I'm more active, otherwise I get lethargic and procrastinate.

Comment

Don't buy into the stigma of "self medication" or "drugs are bad".

There's nothing wrong w/ medication... it's MEDICATION. The chemical balance of everyone's brain is different. Some people NEED medication so that the chemistry is closer to "normal", other's don't. It's not a yes/no thing... everyone has some level of ADD (or as I like to call it "curiosity surplus disorder" :D)... it's just a matter of where you sit on that spectrum and if you can get by.

Some need medication to help their body regulate blood pressure or sugar levels. ADD medication is the same thing.

Also - try headphones and some music to which you don't know the lyrics... techno, trance, acoustic, classical jazz, blues... something to zone out with. (Try pandora.com if you dont' have any unknown music handy)

Comment

If I'm having trouble focusing on something tedious like studying for an exam or just work in general, then it always helps me to get up and go for a 10-15 minute walk. It doesn't matter if it's a walk around the office or outdoors (but the fresh air can be nice). It just shifts the gears in my mind a little, and when I return to my task I can usually concentrate much better. Good luck, and I hope you find something that works :)
                        sigpic
                        "It may be that the gulfs will wash us down..."

Comment

I don't think "drugs are bad", i just know there are huge amounts of drugs taken that people don't need to take, and these often cause problems of their own wasting doctors time which should be helping people with real problems, not someone who thinks they need painkillers every two hours because their foot sometimes itches. (There are some truly weird stories I have heard off my mum) Also even cross taking simple medications can have bad effects, my Granma is on all sorts of stuff for lupus and some of the medicines when put together can knock her out cold so she is constantly having to change her meds.

Anyway exams are over now, the last two went tits up :(, but as long as I get over 40% i don't get kicked out. I will have some lab reports to write though so I will give some of those ideas a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi View Post
                            C'mon guys, he doesn't need medicated. You really think he should take pills for this? Alex, there's nothing wrong with you.
                            And how do you know he wouldn't benefit from some medicine?

I had a similar issue. I had trouble concentrating while studying. My mind would wander, and because of this, I procrastinated and stopped studying because it just didn't work for me. My parents said they were getting me tested for ADHD. I was very hesitant to do it. First off, I had this stigma that ADHD teenagers run around like wild children and are annoying. I'm not. I thought I was just a lazy kid.

So anyways, I go in for testing, and it turned out I did suffer from ADHD. The medicine I take does really help. And if I don't need it, like on the weekends, I don't take it. No big deal.

To give you an idea of how much this stuff helps, let me give you a small example from my life. Like most teenagers, I took the SAT for the first time. I had done a few practice exams. I did them without taking the medicine, and I could never break 2000 points. The day of the exam, I obviously took the meds, and a few weeks later, I get the results back from the test. I scored a 2210. Sure, other things play into it, but the meds definitely helped. And my GPA from this past year is a whole point higher than last year's.

If you are just going to shoot down my suggestion simply because you feel like you don't have ADHD, then fine. But I'm just trying to help you. If I had started taking these meds at the beginning of high school, I think my grades and life would be very different.

Comment

I always chew gum to focus while playing my instrument, studying, or exercising. Chewing keeps the mind from wondering because of the simple task it presents. If chewing gum becomes too rudimentary or tough on your jaw you can switch it up with a tootsie pop, the large sucker makes it a minor challenge to hold in your mouth. For gum I would recommend Trident extra care, it's the only gum I've had that lasted through extraneous chewing sessions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X