Penmenship: worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penmenship: worth it?

Was learning cursive really necessary? When was the last time you wrote in cursive?
    No
    41.67%
    Yes
    58.33%

Re: Penmenship: worth it?

By cursive do you just mean joined up, or do you mean as in for speed writing?
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

... as in what they teach you in.. whatever grade that is... 3rd? 4th? connected, curvy, hard to read letters :)

Comment

Its all I write in, even when im doing equations or maths sometimes, but that often becomes confusing. I don't actual know many people in england who don't write joined up.
        Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

I have my own writing style that's probably 75% cursive and 25% print. I honestly prefer it, my writing looks better and it's faster than printing every letter.

But yes sometimes it is a bit of a pain to read :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I think the last time I wrote in cursive was some time freshman year of high school.

One of the "benefits" of cursive what that it was that you could supposedly write faster. I can write faster in manuscript, but maybe that's because my writing utensil barely lifts off the paper and just flows into the next letter anyhow. I'm not doing swirly curvy "J"s and curly "q"s and whatnot.

One of the other "benefits" of cursive, was that it looked better. My cursive has always been near-illegible, and manuscript is much easier to read. Which is to say, not much better. Despite never forgetting how to write in cursive, I've always found it to be MORE difficult to read no matter who wrote it. I don't recall a teacher ever having marked me down or commented on a written paper, that it had been manu and not cursive. They didn't seem to care, and it didn't seem to matter.

At one point in time, came along the typewriter, and then the word processor, the PC, and whatever follows. That was pretty much the demise, with the exception of letter recognition on a tablet.

I see no need for cursive, as it's a remnant of a time since-past and something more akin to a novelty skill than a necessary one.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I print EVERYTHING, my cursive is illegable. I tried writing in cursive a few years ago and I forgot a lot of the letters
              Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I'd suggest teaching dvorak keyboard would be better/more appropriate for today :D

Comment

The amount of time they spent teaching us cursive in grade school should spurn any responsible tax payer.

Comment

It's good for note taking. If you're good at it, it's faster than print.

Comment

I actually find myself doing it more than I thought I would, whether it be writing my signature, writing a check, writing a quick note, but it is interesting because my parents, their friends etc use it constantly, if anything it would def be something that should be brought back in style, but yes i feel it should still be taught, its a good thing to learn just like your multiplication tables.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                        I print EVERYTHING, my cursive is illegable. I tried writing in cursive a few years ago and I forgot a lot of the letters
                        I'm pretty much the OPPOSITE. It's weird for me to form letters individually without connecting them, so I write exclusively in cursive, and have been since I learned it in 3rd grade or so.

I write like a girl :row__735:
                        |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Rtoups View Post
                          It's good for note taking. If you're good at it, it's faster than print.
                          I take all of my notes on a laptop. My writing is probably 90% print.

Comment

I don't understand what you mean about writing in cursive... just choose bodoni or garamond. you don't HAVE to use edwardian script.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Cursive is good for signatures, because it's so individual. I don't use it for anything else. For jotting down grocery lists, or taking notes, I print. For anything where it's possible to use a keyboard, I do so, as I type much faster than I can use a pen.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X