Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What game combines action, realism, and options well?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What game combines action, realism, and options well?

I currently play Project Reality. This type of game is great for realism and options. You can realistic mechanics and can get a feel for what war may be like "over there". It also allows you a great number of dynamic choices you can use such as rally points and buildable bases complete with barb wire and machine guns. Well, the action just plans suck.

Project Reality is just too plain boring. You can end up waiting half an hour if your defending an objective, or just roaming around the map looking for things to do (i'm looking mostly at the Insurgency mode of the game which is a major part of it). I have put a lot more time into real life and since I am not going to be spending that much time on a game as I used too, I need a game that keeps me entertained but still be realistic and let me have "choices".

I thought about America's Army.

It is still very buggy with the new release though and I am unable to play it. While I can wait for it, the game isn't much for choices. It is basically a realistic team death match with objectives thrown in that are not dynamic at all.

I thought about Natural Selection.

Now this game gives you plenty of choices and is ACTION PACKED. Although the gameplay pace for marines is waaay too fast, too arcade like, and unrealistic or at least far away from a "realistic feel".

I am hoping someone here may have a good idea. I don't believe i'll get my perfect game, but I want a game with more action god damnit! Thanks for your help.
    [TP]Cavazos
    www.tigersplatoon.com

Re: What game combines action, realism, and options well?

Arma 2 comes out tomorrow.

Comment

Realism can be very tedious and boring at times. Just as the majority of war is sitting, waiting, etc. I always found Project Reality to be a good combination of realism and action to be honest. You think PR is slow, try more tedious and large-scale realism games like World War II Online. That's just too massive. Spend hours just setting up a defensive or pre-plan for an attack. Hehe.
      |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

That's a good point. Realism and drawn-out action tend to go hand in hand, but ARMA does allow for some intense moments. You are not thrown directly into the action, rather you have to plan ahead of time and execute movement to the hostile zone. This can be time consuming, but once your squad wins the mission, you feel a lot better about it because of the time you invested into it.

CSS runs a realism mod which has been a hit with the community. It isn't 100% realistic, because it is CSS after all.

Comment

You might like Insurgency mod for HL2 but it's infantry only.

Comment

AA3's devs were all fired. I suggest you stay away from it. For a long time.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              AA3's devs were all fired. I suggest you stay away from it. For a long time.
              They changed to their in-house team and have already released one patch. Although more fixes are certainly needed at least they're already making some sort of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
                Realism can be very tedious and boring at times. Just as the majority of war is sitting, waiting, etc. I always found Project Reality to be a good combination of realism and action to be honest. You think PR is slow, try more tedious and large-scale realism games like World War II Online. That's just too massive. Spend hours just setting up a defensive or pre-plan for an attack. Hehe.

Sounds like my type of game, is this it right here? http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

Comment

If you want to play with people in TG and is a bit more interesting, go with arma. We have a dedicated section for it.
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

ArmA on TacticalGamer, or ArmA2 (although ArmA2 isn't yet a very established game due to being so new, but give it a couple of weeks and it'll get going!)

Comment

I have tried the demo for ArmA 2 and it was crazy. Bots all over the place. I didn't like the feel of the game and gave up very quickly. I figured ArmA would be too realistic and since I had experienced WWII:O before, I didn't want that experience again. BUT a lot of people here are suggesting ArmA 2i'm going to give it a second chance. I just need to find a good server with good team players, eh... any TG playing the demo just to see if they want to get it or not?
                      [TP]Cavazos
                      www.tigersplatoon.com

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill Jay View Post
                        Sounds like my type of game, is this it right here? http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/
                        Yep, you found it. Downside is the $15/month subscription. I'd still be playing it if it were not for that. Don't have the time to sit down for 5+ hours for a good round in a month to make my moneys worth.

Although it is enjoyable when you have the time.
                        |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

PR!PR!PR!
                          Seriously Project Reality is the best and I think the most realistic game. Even though it is kinda slow it's all about teamwork and tactics and sometimes you will get bored but trust me, the action is there and it will come to you. Just think in real life how long do the battles last? 5min? 10min? 30min? No they last hours, sometimes even days. PR is very realistic in that way. Also the guns and the vehicles are very good and have to be used in a realistic way. EX: Helicopters have to warm-up for about 30sec before they can take off.

Comment

Originally posted by RememberTheAlamo View Post
                            PR!PR!PR!
                            Seriously Project Reality is the best and I think the most realistic game. Even though it is kinda slow it's all about teamwork and tactics and sometimes you will get bored but trust me, the action is there and it will come to you. Just think in real life how long do the battles last? 5min? 10min? 30min? No they last hours, sometimes even days. PR is very realistic in that way. Also the guns and the vehicles are very good and have to be used in a realistic way. EX: Helicopters have to warm-up for about 30sec before they can take off.
                            Agreed. Like I mentioned before, it is a good mix of realism.. but a smaller scale map (still few square kilometers) so it guarantees realistic play and action when you get on for an hour or so. Good to go!
                            |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

PR is far too run and gun to be deemed the most realistic of Battlefield sims. ArmA is not an FPS rather a proper Battlesim and when played well with a good squad...the sheer scale and aspect of this game will truly blow you away.

Yes it's slower than PR...but hence the closer realism...there is an awful lot of sit and wait in the RL....

Give the demo of ArmA2 a try again...go to the Armed Assault section of the forum and make adjustments like the "bloom" and "head bob" levels and you might prefer it...

Server "Live" date VERY shortly.....

;)
                              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed