Ads from Hell ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads from Hell ???

Im seeing a great number of advertisements on the TG forums these days. They stall my browser when I open a link, I cant scroll or read content until the advertisement finishes loading - most annoying and its making me avoid the forums.

Today I started to see the ads even MORE frequently than I have in the past - now they are interspersed between posts, not just located at the top of the page

Note that the credit card ad appears several times between posts

Is this something that is happening by design ???

.. or has someone hijacked something ?

Re: Ads from Hell ???

The ads halfway through threads have been there for a while afaik, most of what you see is removed for supporting memberships so I can't really confirm the severity of them.

POE2 Developer

Comment

It is what pays the bills for those who choose not to become a Supporting Member.
      |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

i get they help pay the bills but half the time i just gotta close out TG becuase i cant even move my broswer. Its continually refreshing the site and connecting to ad servers. Some days its really bad.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

well i just ignored the ads.. i could not even noticed it was there... lol
          If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
            It is what pays the bills for those who choose not to become a Supporting Member.
            ah ha !

my supporting membership went away - that explains it

Thanks !

Comment

Yeah sorry Martha, the reason adds have doubled for you is it looks like you are no longer a SM.

~ Draken

EDIT: looks like you were too quick to respond...
              Last edited by DrakenViator; 06-27-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I always use ad-block.

Comment

Same.
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

The ads usually are chosen to match words found in the thread. I find it entertaining to see what ads get chosen for what threads. Kinda weird that some credit card company gets an ad in a thread about DI's.

One problem I have is that many of the ad supply websites run JavaScript, and ad sites have been known to distribute malware, so I don't automatically approve them in NoScript (Firefox addon). That means on many threads (like right now in this one) I don't see the ads and banners. That's kinda disappointing, as I do find the ads entertaining.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      That means on many threads (like right now in this one) I don't see the ads and banners. That's kinda disappointing, as I do find the ads entertaining.
                      :D Let's just take all the ads from the other non-SM's and lay them on your plate. Hehe.
                      |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

Works for me. But I'm both cheap and skeptical, so it might cut into TG's revenue a lot. ;)
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Some of the adds are too obtrusive.

If your unsure of an add, you can always report it in this thread.

Comment

The HOSTS file works wonders along with AdBlock Plus(addon for firefox). You have to know how to work the hosts file:http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
                              *bonks you on the head* -_- Martha is a long-time supporter of the forum and of TG and a former IHS member, and has given to TG in a lot of ways. So.... your comment is a bit errant.

Though I can't say I ever see ads when I'm not signed in. I didn't even know the forum HAD ads :P mm AdBlock + FFX = bliss.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X