Best WWII Strategy game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best WWII Strategy game?

Any suggestions for an in-depth WWII strat? I'm looking for something like Iron Hearts or Strategic Command 2. Something very in-depth and/or turn-based style of gameplay. I'm not really looking for a CoH or Men of War.

thx.

Re: Best WWII Strategy game?

Umm, I heard Advanced War: Days of Ruin is good turn based strat. But I believe it's for the Nintendo DS.

Comment

It's almost impossible to find now, but the game Close Combat: A bridge too far is by far one of the best RTS ever made. It was the godfather of cover systems. Top down, 1997, and very very complex. Smoke, Cover, penetration, ammo count, etc were all in place. Many of its features were never reproduced, because of sheer complexity.
      Skud

Comment

What you really want is an old Avalon Hill board game, like Anzio or Afrika Korps. Unfortunately they went out of business 10 years ago -- their style of in-depth strategic recreations didn't translate well to the computer age.

Comment

Advanced Squad Leader, its minuratures I guess, little chips, but EXTREMELY realistic.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I have been playing Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday lately and I highly recommend it. You choose what nation you control dependent on different scenarios, the politics of your country, what ministers, policies you have, resource management, technology, aircraft, infantry, armor, naval vessels, diplomacy, trade. It is not linear in anyway, allowing you to decide the course of WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_...n_II:_Doomsday

Comment

Close Combat is a classic, I loved that game back in the day. I think a new one just came out too, I wonder if that's any good. For now though I ended up going with Battle Group Commander Episode One, Air Assault Task Force, and CotA. Splurged a little bit there.

HoI 2 seems really good, but with the learning curve I figured it'd be best to just wait for the new one to come out and grab that instead, because by the time I get everything down 3 will certainly be out.

thx

Comment

Combat mission, all of them.

www.battlefront.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jevski View Post
                  Combat mission, all of them.

www.battlefront.com
                  yep, I already have CMSF: Marines and love it. If you're into MP we have an xfire group to get games going.

http://www.xfire.com/clans/cmsf/

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                    It's almost impossible to find now, but the game Close Combat: A bridge too far is by far one of the best RTS ever made. It was the godfather of cover systems. Top down, 1997, and very very complex. Smoke, Cover, penetration, ammo count, etc were all in place. Many of its features were never reproduced, because of sheer complexity.
                    Yes that is a great series. I remember playing Battle of the Bulge when it came out. I was used to Command and Conquer so this game blew me away. Lots of depth.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X