NeoTokyo Mod (HalfLife2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeoTokyo Mod (HalfLife2)

I know this has just come out in the last few hours.

I'm enjoying it quite alot. I'd like to hear how other folks playing it feel about its play style etc.

Re: NeoTokyo Mod (HalfLife2)

Its a solid, round-based multiplayer experience, spent about 20 minutes all in all getting it ready and working and a few hours playing it. :p

It is very pretty, and to those with slightly weaker systems (see: My System :p) you should adjust the graphics settings before running online, and regardless of you computer's power, I would highly suggest loading up a random map to make sure it runs well on your system before braving the wilderness of multiplayer.

And for those who haven't been following (what a surprise, just like ME!), here's a quick run down of gameplay. As I said it is round based, the server I played on had rounds of about 5-6 minutes, generally more than enough. The current game-mode (unknown if others are planned), is called "Capture the Ghost", basically there is the Ghost (a lady robot's torso) somewhere on the map, and the teams just need to retrieve it and take it to their respective "Retrieval Zone", note your Zone is in your team's color and NOT the RED ones!. The cool thing is that the two sides switch spawn points each time, kind of like CoD4's Search and Destroy, but not really as your goal is always to capture the Ghost.

There are quite a few nice additions over the standard Source equipment. As hinted above, there is not a radar, everything is displayed directly on the HUD relative to its location. There are three points that get overlaid, the first being the Ghost, it is represented as a series of white concentric circles, note if your team has it, it will be colored with your team's colors (Jinrai = green, NSF = blue) and if the enemy has it, it will be red. The next are the Retrieval spots where you drop off the Ghost, downwards pointing arrows in your teams color, the enemy's, of course, is red, note there are two of these on each level, sometime they are near/relative (i.e. the same side) to each other, other times they are quite separate. And finaly your buddies have a little square cross with the center square removed, colored in your teams color. But those aren't the only visual effects added, the others, though, are a lot more gameplay related though.

Most of the player class have the ability to cloak, creating the familiar cloudy figure when activated likening itself to Battlefield 2142, although, since this is not a little hand held device, the player just presses "V" and is able to wield their weapons normally. Also each individual class has a specialty vison that is activated by the "X" button. And, as hinted at above, the game is built around three classes, each with unique abilities and the occasional special weapon.

The Recon class has low armor, highly cloaking charge, and can run without expending energy. The Recon's special weapon are Det Packs, operated in the expected manner. The Recon also has nightvision goggles to illuminate darken passageways.

The Assault has medium armor, low cloaking charge, and has a depletable amount of sprinting energy. But the Assault does pack a single frag grenade as their special weapon. The Assault excels at tacking out cloak enemies with its movement based vision. With the vision turned on anthing that moves glows bright as even thing else is dimmed. Due note though that the friendly crosses have a hard time of showing up in this mode (could be the case for all vsions, but I only really played as Assault).

The final class is the Support with heavy armor, no cloaking, and no ability to run. And to seemingly top it off, their special weapon is a few smoke grenades that severely impair everyone's view (this aren't even cousins with those wimpy BF 2142 smoke grenades!), how is that an appropriate replacement to the other classes explosives? Well it is the Support vision that really turns the tide on it as it is the only one able to peer through this dense smoke.

And of course, there are weapons, quite a wide variety, and while there are some that cross over among the classes, the main difference are some of the higher level weapons and how early they are made available through the promotion system. Oh, and I forgot to mention, at the start of each round, everyone is a private and after some many experience points the you are promoted gaining access to the next teir of weapons. And yes you gain XP by, killing an opponent, capping with the Ghost, assisting a cap, and when your team wins a round.

So in short it is a quite fun, round-based, class, rewards-for-doing-well, and pretty little multiplayer mod. I'm eager to see how this develops around the community (TG and Neotokyo at large) once everyone has gotten some serious play time in.

And lastly, I apologize for the grammatical errors (Firefox has fixed the spelling atleast :p). But I hope y'all let it slide, given the god forsaken hour at witch I am righting this. I'll try to proofread it tomorrow. Oh, and...

DOWNLOAD NEOTOKYO, IT'S QUITE FUN!

Oh, and it is almost a gig, so be prepared for a long download!
    BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
    CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

I endorse this product.

Comment

You described all that but the real jist to the game you didnīt discover yet ;)

For the first 2 hours I was thinking this is a CS clone of sorts with fancy graphic. It felt really.... CS and dull. Not much potential for teamwork but the usual "hang together around corners" stuff. And all people did was camp the Ghost for minutes instead of picking it up and capturing - so the ghost seemed kinda pointless.

So lets come to the real point of Capture the Ghost:

Whoever picks up the Ghost has to let go of his heavy main weapon first and can only wield a pistol. Your new "1 Button Weapon" is now the Ghosts body. You can either carry the Ghost on your pack and have a Pistol / Grenade / Knife out or you can take it in your arms by pressing "1".

Once you have the ghost, it will establish a satellite link. This takes about 5 seconds. When this is finished the Ghost holer will be shown ALL ENEMY CONTATCS within 40 meters of his position. They will be marked by little red man symbols. Those symbols will be immediatly updated when the targets are moving and even have a distance meter above them.

Now itīs the Ghostcarriers duty to actively use Voice IP and coordinate his teammates around. Tell them the position and direction. Tell them the amount of contacts. Retreat into an easily defendable position like a parking garage. Remember: ONLY the Ghost holder can see the enemies! ACTIVE TEAMWORK and VOIP IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HERE!

Now you will try to slowly scan the enemies out and wipe the enemy team or yuo make the judgement that enough space has been cleared to capture it.

If you are on the opposite team and you see the Ghost symbol light up red you know the enemy has the Ghost and might scan you out. But at the same time you are able to shoot the Ghost carrier often by penetrating walls with heavy weapons. You can also try to lurk around their capture position - but remember: If they are good... their team will know where you are!

Comment

Making another post for the rest. The camo makes you about... halfway invisible for the trained eye when moving. But can be absolutly deadly when you get intel about incoming enemies and you lure in a dark corner. The main advantage of the camo is that it also blocks your thermal emisions making you almost 100% invisibl to those Support Guys. As Support you will walk around with the thermovision about 70% of the time just because itīs so dam good and able to spot enemies 50 meters abead hiddien in some car wrecks.

At the start of the round the recons will usually try to spring and jump towards the Ghost. Depending on where it spawns (most maps seem to have about 5-6 different locations) you will make a judgement wether trying to ninja it quick or stand back and try chasing down enemies. During some rounds one team has like a "gimme" Ghost - a Spawn really close to them. But at the same time the enemy usually has the advantage of better cover.

So to come to a final word. I really disliked the game till I found out abuot the Ghost mechanics. Now I find it fun. Of course many people on the servers donīt have a mic or donīt use VOIP to use the Ghost mechanics to full potential.

Comment

I'll have to check this out. Thats if I can stop playing ArmA II :P

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
            The BigC

Comment

what no link for everyone? Terrible way to sell a game!

- -

Comment

http://www.neotokyohq.com/

Torrent Link was fastest for me

Comment

This game is extremely tactical and i'm pretty much in love. I HATE CSS but this game feels completely different. Deviation is the same more or less, but it works better.

Does thermoptic camo really take out your heat signature? Earlier i was thinking to myself, "Whats the point of ever turning off the thermal vision as a support gunner" and now it might make sense. I'll have to experiment with it when I get a chance.

Add me on steam if you wanna play
                  Gunmastax

Comment

Wow, google worked pretty well for me. When I typed NeoTokyo Mod into it and hit search. Got it in 15 minutes from Fileshack.

Comment

Originally posted by SamO View Post
                      Does thermoptic camo really take out your heat signature? Earlier i was thinking to myself, "Whats the point of ever turning off the thermal vision as a support gunner" and now it might make sense. I'll have to experiment with it when I get a chance.

Yes thermal camo is THE counter to the camping Support classes. Of course you will never know when they use it or not. But it will makes a Support at least toggle around knowing people could hide in plain sight. Of course when a Support tosses smoke you should use your camo to hide since he will use his thermo vision. You will be blind tho :)

Also like CS headshots are the way to go in this game. Seriously. Especially against Supports - their Body Armor feels like meters thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyramion View Post
                        For the first 2 hours I was thinking this is a CS clone of sorts with fancy graphic. It felt really.... CS and dull. Not much potential for teamwork but the usual "hang together around corners" stuff. And all people did was camp the Ghost for minutes instead of picking it up and capturing - so the ghost seemed kinda pointless.
                        What can I say, most of the time my team was camping the ghost, maybe the problem was that I only played for around two hours. :p

Also dd you play a lot of Recon and Support, or a good mix of the three? I was playing a lot of Assault and everyone seemed to light up real well with the thermal vision, even when cloaked (provided they were moving, of course).

And for those not sure they have 12 download sites and a torrent to choose from on their website. And when I played, I spotted around 150 servers up and running.
                        BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                        CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

It really depends on your teammates. Having communicative teammates that know the Ghost game is like playing a whole different game than people playing it like a CS clone

Comment

I'm downloading it now and will be playing it soon. I watched a few youtube videos and it looks fun. It does remind me of CSS, a game I used to play a lot and only on TG servers.

Is there still a TG: Source Mods server that could be used for this game?

Originally posted by Birdman1011395 View Post
                            (a lady robot's torso)
                            Nice......?
                            "Video games develop hand-eye coordination, and make kids into better human beings!" - Prof. Membrane

Comment

Downloading it as well, sounds like its worth a try.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X