Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Bass Guitar

Hi!

I'm looking to start learning to play bass guitar and really need some advice on a good beginner instrument and amp. I would prefer to spend less than $200 on the instrument itself and less than $100 for the amp (I'm hoping this is reasonable). If it matters, I'm only 5'4" and around 110lbs, so a smaller/lighter instrument would be ideal.

A guitarist friend of mine recommended Squier basses, but I'm open to other reliable, recommended brands/lines. I figured I'd tap TG for your collective expert advice (I know we have a few bass players around here).

Plus, are there any caveats/tips I should take into consideration before I dive into this new hobby? Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    - Pengie

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
    TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
    ||

Re: Advice on Bass Guitar

How about a Fender Precision Standard Mexican made? I got mine for $350 about a decade ago. It was substantially cheaper than the regular non-Mexican made version, but basically the same thing. Maybe you can find one used?

Comment

I recently went shopping for a guitar for my daughter, and all I can say is good luck finding 1 that cheap, if you dont mind used try the pawn shop, as far as brand, pawn shops usually dont carry any crap brands and if its in decent shape and sounds good thats all that matters for learning, you can always buy new pickups fairly cheap and make it sound better. Good luck

Comment

squire is fender. remember that. My Two suggestions. Both are outstanding packages. My brother who can play bass with his eyes closed started on these bass packages and still plays them both on stage in sets.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....sku=513295#new

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....sku=513289#new
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-I...49-i1323531.gc
          http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-I...27-i1168529.gc
          He was told that he should not kill, and he did not kill, until he got into the Army. Then he was told to kill, and he killed.

Comment

I'm also a bass player, and while I personally play on an American Made Fender Jazz Bass, Squire is a good place to start. I know that Squire has combos in which you get the bass and a small practice amp all together.

Comment

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....sku=518391#new

I use this one also a Line six lowdown bass amp is the one I use

Pros about the Thunderbird
              1. Smooth Neck
              2. Cool design
              3. Neat tone without a amp I don't think I have heard one like it

Cons about the thunderbird
              1. Kind of heavy
              2. Buzzes sometimes when playing to hard
              3. Pickups are kind of weak

But all in all it's a good bass

|TG| Sproge "Tiger how did you flip that tank?!"
              |TG-SC| PM07SNV "We need another world war to base more games on..."
              |TG-AIR| DrBeat: "I just dropped my propane tank in the fire again"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll drop by a Guitar Center this weekend and take a look, but I'll certainly take up the pawn shop advice.

||

Comment

At pawn shops you really need to know what your buying. The internals may be counterfeit or just broken. Or the neck might be warped but only visible to the trained eye. Pawn shops marked prices are ridiculous. You need to haggle with them to get a fair price. I would say stay away from them until you get more familiar with the instrument.

I would agree with Sordavie the Fender Precision Standard Mexican is the best for the money. Used

The squir is OK, but I would not recommend the cheap combo packages. If the instrument just sounds bad because of a cheap amp, it will discourage you from playing. I say spend more on a decent amp.

As someone who has been playing drums professionally for years and has played with many bass players. I would recommend this Book If you can learn this, you can play with anybody and everybody will want to play with you. IMO these are the greatest bass lines ever made.

Comment

You can't overlook craigslist too. I just bought a used Ovation GC057 from a guy over craig's list. New this instrument lists for somewhere around 350. I got it for $150 and it's cherry. Plays like a dream.

If you are willing to work through the lame deals you can usually find something nice out of craig's list.

There is the possible creep factor of meeting some anonymous dude though.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I just got a new used guitar from someone who bought it to learn but never did. It's like-new. Upgraded from my old Charvel entry guitar. $225 with hard case. :D

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer View Post
                          Plus, are there any caveats/tips I should take into consideration before I dive into this new hobby? Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
                          - Pengie
                          Learn to play like Victor Wooten and I will buy every single one of your CDs!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice.

After looking on Craig's List with no luck and getting bid sniped on E-Bay (with 2 seconds left :row__522:), I finally broke down and went to Guitar Center to get a brand new bass. This is what I settled on:

Ibanez GSR200

With a little haggling help from a friend of mine, I got the bass, a practice amp, case, and cable just within the budget I posted.

Again, thanks for the advice posted here. Some of the suggestions were out of my budget this time, but I'll definitely keep them in mind if I decide to upgrade later!

A few more pics:

||

Comment

Ooh pretty. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse