Google to launch OS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google to launch OS!

I had not heard about this before I just read this article, but apparently Google has decided to take on Billy Gates! It is interesting in that it is going to be designed for Netbooks and will be specifically designed to be lightweight with fast start-up....

As long as security is not compromised, surely a fast lightweight OS may also have great implications for the Gaming world?

Thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139711.stm
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Google to launch OS!

I assume this may have implications with Netbooks and possibly integrate somehow with Android and the mobile segment... But I don't EVER think this will make a mark on the gaming world. There are legitimate contenders out there (Linux/ Mac OS X) and they aren't even being used. It's just another ploy by Google to Irritate MS and seal a bit of the Windows 7 thunder.

That Being said..there is a Market in the very popular Netbook market.. I noticed initially the Cheap netbooks had a Linux Variant... but as they became more popular people actually wanted to run Software on them so they redesigned the Hardware (aka upgraded) to run Windows... and now our Cheap Netbooks are getting pricey again..competing with low end or refurbish laptops..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't expect much in the way of an impact on the gaming world either, as they'd have to come up with their own API (unless they would have their own version of the WINE project but meh).
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

Does seem like an intriguing move by Google, it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Found another report on the BBC with some more info here, Chrome OS does seem to have some interesting features:

Your PC won't have to do the heavy lifting, applications will run in your browser instead, powered by Google's huge server farms.
        To be honest I think that's got a huge potential to go horribly wrong, but I suppose it could be useful.

They certainly seem to be going down the net book market with on the move business people in mind. I highly doubt that Chrome with have the capacity and compatibility to run games etc.

Consumers who want to buy a Chrome OS computer will have to start with a blank slate as well. Any software that they hold near and dear is unlikely to be compatible with the new system.

I don't really think it is going to be a Microsoft killer, but it may cause Linux some problems.

We will have to wait and see...

Comment

I will never give up my *nix. I love you fedora!
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Whether an application can run on the server depends on what the application is.

Multiplayer games split the application, with part running on the server (deciding who killed who and who's where) and part on the client (accepting keyboard/mouse/joystick input for the server and converting the location information from the server into graphics and sound). Such a game is classic client/server, with the purchased game functioning as a "terminal" and the gameplay decided on the "big iron". (Many gamers "run Linux" without even knowing it because half their game is running on a Linux host.)

Much of Microsoft Office is presentation-heavy, and so will not readily adapt to running on a server. The compute engine of Excel might be an exception, so perhaps Google is hoping to serve a client/server spreadsheet system.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
              I will never give up my *nix. I love you fedora!
              *nix is many things, including a shell syntax, a set of kernel APIs, and a filesystem interface. Much of that continues to evolve. I can easily imagine bash being ported to the Google OS, giving command line junkies a *nix look and feel. I can also see ext3 being ported, along with other filesystems with the traditional *nix permission system. But note that Linux is moving towards adopting many of the features of other OS's, such as adding various GUIs and adding ACLs to filesystems. Does that make it less *nix-like?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

A few years back (2003 or so) somebody in our company did a survey of the OS's available. Not even counting all the variations of Linux there where dozens. Many where of the embedded type but I was suprised how many there where actually out working in the wild.

This could eventually be big, actually. It is a bit like DOS when PC's first came out. DOS took advantage of the fact new PC's where not just dumb terminals. Chrome OS could be taking advantage of semi-dumb terminals (netbooks).

But everything I have heard says Windows 7 runs pretty good on net books and it hasn't even been stripped to it's bare essentials yet.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Nice headline:

Google Drops A Nuclear Bomb On Microsoft. And It’s Made of Chrome.
                  http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/07...ade-of-chrome/

Comment

I would choose Ubuntu/Linux over a google based OS ANYTIME. I dont see where this thing could be going...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                    The BigC

Comment

*cough* Android *cough* and i've had it running on my G1 since, well, september of last year when it came out. There are three major PC makers who have already signed on to make netbooks using the android platform by december, two with working prototypes already.

Oh yeah, and all 4 of the major US cellular carriers (ATT, verizon, sprint, t-mobile) are bringing out a combined total of 19 android phones between now and Q1 of next year. Interestingly enough, one of the amazing things about this is that it will make hooking your phone up to your computer seamless, something which microsoft tried to do with windows mobile...and met with epic fail.

So not only is this going to eat into microsoft and apple's shares of the computer stranglehold, you can pretty much kiss the iphone goodbye. (4 million G1's sold in less than 12 months of production, with the G2/MyTouchPro preorder having started today and over 150k preordered in the first 6 hours)

Comment

Problem

Typical consumer: "I wan't a computer."
                        Sales person: "Here is a google chrome based netbook."
                        consumer: "Will it run my favorite programs 'x, y and z'?"
                        sales person: "Uh, no."
                        consumer: "No thank you."

Not saying long term as the younger generation becomes the "typical user" it won't dominate. But it isn't just going to topple Apple and Microsoft over night.
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It's going to be a clunky phone OS running on an over-sized iPod touch imitation. My guess is it will mostly run downlaodable apps. Who would have of thought of making an entire OS ad-ware. This is a cheap ploy to bring their stock prices up. The average joe is sitting home going wwwooooowwwwww Microsoft killerz? Buy Buy Buy.

Google knows something will come along soon and knock Google search out. So they are desperately trying to get a foothold in anything and everything. Google search is their bread and butter , when that goes everything else will die a slow painful death. perhaps android will be thier saving grace, but by then their stock and rep will be in the crapper.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                            consumer: "Will it run my favorite programs 'x, y and z'?"
                            The real problem is that many of those programs will be MS apps deliberately design to either not run or run in a way that makes the competing OS look bad. How's Office look on a Mac?

I don't know that games will be a factor, since PC gamers are already becoming a niche market, with most gamers moving to consoles. (Remember that TG is mostly old farts set in our ways with a different taste in games than the juvenile console thumbalinas. ;))

More important will be business apps and social networking. The latter has largely moved online and become browser-dependent, and work fine (if not better) under browsers not written by MA. The elephant in the corner is Office. And there's some hippos in the other corners from the CAD market like AutoCAD and Solidworks that don't work on competing OS's.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              More important will be business apps and social networking. The latter has largely moved online and become browser-dependent, and work fine (if not better) under browsers not written by MA. The elephant in the corner is Office. And there's some hippos in the other corners from the CAD market like AutoCAD and Solidworks that don't work on competing OS's.
                              There are also the hundreds of thousands of vertical market application developers (like me) who depend on a well developed OS/desktop and rich development environment. We also want professionally developed and well supported third party components. Things like report writers and all kinds of sophisticated input widgets. We need it to look good out of the box without employing professional graphical designers.

Chrome OS has a very long way to go in that regard.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X