Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a free GX390 clone engine, what should I do with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a free GX390 clone engine, what should I do with it?

Well lets here it! The engine is a 13hp horizontal shaft clone of a Honda GX390. I want to build a go kart but what are some neat/fun/crazy ideas to do with it!?!

Re: Got a free GX390 clone engine, what should I do with it?

Hovercraft.

I remember as a kid (4 decades ago) seeing plans every month in the back of Boy's Life. I bought a set and it involved mounting a mower engine on a circular sheet of plywood and putting a radiator fan on the shaft and rubber skirts around the edge.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hovercraft+plans
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
      Hovercraft.
      +1 on that! I want to see video of it too! :D

Comment

skeet launcher.

Well, you could actually make one heck of a launcher for just about any tennis ball sized item.

You could build a leaf blower.

Well, you could always try to make it into a generator, but where is the fun in that...

If you are lazy enough, you could build a swiveling circular floor section made for your entertainment system, just for those times when you have to adjust your viewing area. You could turn things just right so you can watch both tv and be on the computer. Well, I guess this idea of a moving floor section could be used for other things too...

Dude, here is a website that gives info on modifying the throttle linkage after the governor has been removed. It is in reference to your idea of making a go-kart. The website provides how-to guides and motor upgrade kits just for go-karts. Hey, if you make a go-kart, please do show us. Oddly enough, this site sells parts that turn the engine into a racing engine...

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/throttle-linkage.php

That isn't a bad little engine. How did you come across it?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
          skeet launcher.

Well, you could actually make one heck of a launcher for just about any tennis ball sized item.

You could build a leaf blower.

Well, you could always try to make it into a generator, but where is the fun in that...

If you are lazy enough, you could build a swiveling circular floor section made for your entertainment system, just for those times when you have to adjust your viewing area. You could turn things just right so you can watch both tv and be on the computer. Well, I guess this idea of a moving floor section could be used for other things too...

Dude, here is a website that gives info on modifying the throttle linkage after the governor has been removed. It is in reference to your idea of making a go-kart. The website provides how-to guides and motor upgrade kits just for go-karts. Hey, if you make a go-kart, please do show us. Oddly enough, this site sells parts that turn the engine into a racing engine...

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/throttle-linkage.php

That isn't a bad little engine. How did you come across it?
          A guy bought it as a discontinued display model as an upgrade to a smaller engine that ran out of oil, only to find that the shaft was 1" vs 3/4" and the return policy was 5 days on open box. He didnt want to go through listing it and crap so just gave it to me and I was like hell yes ill take it! lol. I have it mounted to a furniture dolly right now just to mess with it.

As for the suggestions, I should mention I am on a tight budget, but hovercraft sure is a cool idea. I already have a generator, but a go kart is always a good idea. I will check out the links for the engine mods. I will already be raising the compression this weekend with a little trick I learned working in the lawnmower shop ;)

Comment

UPDATE: on my lunch break I modded the engine for higher compression. In case any of you are wondering, I will explain how I did it. Before I do so, I will just let you all know I did this to my generac 4000XL back in 2005 and it works great to this day.

basically all you do is take off the head, get rid of the stock gasket, clean it off really well and replace the gasket with red hi temp silicone RTV. Make sure you follow the lines from the gasket around the bolt holes and the hole for the pushrods. Put the head back on loosely, let it skin for 10 mins, then tighten it down to specs.

Like I said before, I did this to my 4000XL with a 7.8 back in 2005. It was in the middle of Katrina when the lights went out, what I thought was a broken rocker arm turned out to be no compression as well. I pulled the head (working in the light of a flashlight with near dead batteries) and gave it a valve job. All I had was some emery cloth so I used that on the valves and seats. The gasket broke when I took the head off so I had to use the silicone.

Long story short after it was all back together, I tried to start it, but the compression was so much that when I pulled the rope, the whole unit flipped over instead of the engine turning over! The starter also broke. I removed the starter, wrapped the rope around the flywheel cup and pulled. Same thing. Damn. So what I have to do is turn the engine back up against compression, then give it a pull and she starts and runs great! Fuel economy is awesome, about 2 gallons every 12 hours at 70-90% load. This unit still runs great to this day :D

So it may sound ghetto but it works realllyyyy well!

Comment

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2008/03/12/...uber-overkill/
              http://www.geekologie.com/2008/03/ga...is_rocking.php
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

wow that would be a seriously overpowered blender, unless I use lawnmower blades and a 55 gallon drum. Talk about a party blender!!

Comment

well I did the silicone gasket mod to the motor but it knocks alot and makes me nervous. I thought the valves were hitting the piston so I pulled the head but there was no sign of that at all on either the piston of the valves. I wonder if I need to retard the timing a couple degrees? Although I dont see why I should as timing is still stock.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X