• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Spark Plugs?

Pew Pew Lasersz!

off topic...wtf is this--->:icon39:

[unit][support]
    The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
    I am proud to serve my Country!
    United States Army
    I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
    I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
    "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Re: Goodbye Spark Plugs?

that icon is for unreal tourny lol.

Laser ignition systems would be sweet. But its just another thing you gotta take your car to the mechanic to fix. Really makes you wonder how cars ran at all before computers and sophisticated electrical systems.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Or just go diesel... They haven't used spark plugs for YEARS!

~ Draken

Comment

aye one of my friends has a diesel car, gets 65 mpg.
        |TCO| Wind

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post

~ Draken
          But But a diesel powered GT500 might not be as fun :row__577:

[unit][support]
          The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
          I am proud to serve my Country!
          United States Army
          I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
          I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
          "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post

~ Draken
            On that note, biodiesel looks a lot better than conventional diesel and no modding needed to the existing engines either.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              On that note, biodiesel looks a lot better than conventional diesel and no modding needed to the existing engines either.

bio diesel is not worth it. its basically like E85. Less power and still costs that same as regular. Ive talked to a few dealers for bio diesel, they cant convince people to use it since it doesnt produce the same ammount of power, and the price is right at market for normal diesel. So whats the point?
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                bio diesel is not worth it. its basically like E85. Less power and still costs that same as regular. Ive talked to a few dealers for bio diesel, they cant convince people to use it since it doesnt produce the same ammount of power, and the price is right at market for normal diesel. So whats the point?
                It's only slightly weaker than normal diesel (1.1 gallons to equal 1 gallon). I'm sure with time, that can be equated out somehow. It's also a hell of a lot friendlier to the environment and with time and mass adoption could improve the environment for us humans (less deaths due to the pollution of regular diesel) and it's easily renewed and biodegradable. It may smell like a super stink bomb, but it might be a good alternative fuel to normal diesel until other alternatives become more realistic and affordable.

As someone above has already mentioned, better mileage than gasoline and no spark plugs to worry about. It's something to consider for the consumer automobile industry instead of gasoline-powered cars, we could have more diesel-powered ones (like how Europe has quite a few).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                  Laser ignition systems would be sweet. But its just another thing you gotta take your car to the mechanic to fix. Really makes you wonder how cars ran at all before computers and sophisticated electrical systems.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                    I want one of those!!
                    |TG-8th| LATINA

[conduct][medic]

:icon14: :icon1: :icon_bigg

Comment

Well not only are spark plugs being researched, but in 2010, the first engine with electric valves is coming out, meaning there's no more need for camshafts, and therefore timing is not going to be a mechanical adjustment, it will be fully electronically controlled, which means less maintenance for the owner and a cleaner, more efficient engine.

I mean presently we have drive-by-wire (meaning that there is no actual mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front steering linkage), we have electro-generating brakes, meaning when you step on the brake pedal your brakes will actually help to recharge your battery. Braking calipers will be electric, nullifying the need for a hydraulic brake system, meaning no more messy fluid, no more broken lines, etc...

Also in 2010, Toyota will be releasing a fully solar-powered motor vehicle, meaning no gas or biofuels. Give it five years and we'll be free of gasoline, considering all other manufacturers presently have either a fully electric vehicle or one in the making.

Comment

A nonhydraulic braking system sounds very bad. What happens if the power goes out?

Comment

There's anti-lock braking, which fails over to the traditional hydraulics but uses "brake by wire" for normal operation.

Introducing smart systems doesn't eliminate the need for the dumb ones.

Regenerative braking is a bit different. It's already used in trains. AFAIK, you still need mechanical shoes to stop the train, but the electrical part can recover a lot of the energy during slowing. In some cases that energy is dumped into a big resistor bank and released as heat. (My brother works for the Los Angeles Metro, and I've been under one of the cars in the shop and seen the resistor pack. It's bigger than a kitchen stove.)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X