Need Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

Hey guys...I have enlisted in the US Army. My MOS is a 21y Geospatial Engineer, my ship date is august 19th and I do my bct at Fort Jackson in Virginia, my AIT will be at Fort Belvoir in Virginia. For the enlistment option that I chose, I get a $8000 bonus at the end of AIT. I decided to use that and get myself a nice sportbike and I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions as to what sportbike has good ratings. I would prefferably like a Suzuki or a Honda 600cc for now.

Re: Need Advice

I can't suggest a bike, but not sure if you're aware.. a HUGE amount of casualties and injuries of service men and women spring from sports bikes. But who cares, you got free medical right? Haha, but get one and have fun.. just remember that when you're out having fun. Many of my buddies have lost friends during their service by the hands of those bikes. Be safe and good luck finding the one for you. Thanks for enlisting.
    |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

they say the highest rate of injuries and deaths in the Air force is car accidents, involving motor bikes.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I will do my best to make sure I be very careful and keep a 360 degree view at all times. By the way like if im in my ACU uniform...or even my garrison uniform...is there a special gear i have to wear with my reflector and helmet and does the army provide it for you?

Comment

The Army normally requires an additional safety course before you can get your bike registered on post. This means you have to take their course and have all the approved reflective stuff prior to ever driving on post. No course, no DoD sticker.

I would also hold off on the bike until you find out where you end up going, it would suck to get a bike then either move to Alaska or deploy. However if you do deploy, you can then buy a bike Tax Free from overseas and have it shipped to whereever, free. Might save yourself some more money..

Shoot me a message when you get to Belvoir, I am 2 miles away..
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Thank Big C....I will be sure to shoot you a message when I get to belvoir. Maybe we could meet up after I get home from AIT

Comment

You are not going to get a 600cc bike right away. Forget about it. Period. Way to much machine for to deal with. Get something smaller to start off with.

Also, make sure you have ALL your gear. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet. EVERYTHING!

Then get a 250/500 Ninja. Ride that for a few thousand miles and get used to everything.

All your buddies will tell you get a "600", or a "1000". Ignore them, they are idiots and can't ride for crap anyways. Also, take an MSF course before buying a bike. That is non-negotiable.

If you do the above you might actually live to use some of that $8000. I don't want to have to scoop up your brains from the side of the road some day. I doubt you have driven a 10-11 second car, let alone a 10-11 second bike.

Love Turkish
              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I cant help with the bike but I can say what ever you do try your hardest not to get sent out here to fort Lenardwood M.O. been stuck here for 4 years, what a crap hole, I almost need medication because of this place. Good luck with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post

I don't want to have to scoop up your brains from the side of the road some day.
                  Love Turkish
                  You must be a paramedic like my wife, she wont let me get a bike :( she actually had to stop with 3 of my kids in the car cause she was first on scene of a guy that got hit head on by a car while riding his bike, the guy flew 50 yards and brain matter stew in a helmet. Glad my kids didnt see any of that.

Comment

Let me know how Basic is, as well as AIT, I am seriously considering enlisting in the Army if I am eligible, I know that I can recieve a $10,000 bonus for having 4 years of college under my belt (I wish I took Farsi, you get a $40 grand bonus), and the ten grand would really help pay off some CC debt and allow me to actually start putting money into a 401k, as for bikes, Honda I know makes some pretty sweet bikes and reliable. Personally I saw a wicked nice BMW bike the other day.

Then again there's Harley Davidson and if you can find a good deal Ducatti IMHO makes some of the best and well built bikes around.

Take Turkish's advice as well, get the gear, make sure its good and reliable, he's a paramedic and I bet he has some stories about coming across bikers after they've had an accident.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I started off with a Ninja 250 and it was my best purchase. Easy to ride and learn on...also super light. Had it for just under a year. I was comfortable with it and traded it in for a 600 and am glad I did it that way.
                      Good luck and thank you for joining the service.
                      sigpic
                      I'm Back.

Comment

Delta:

If you're considering the military, go to EVERY different branch's recruiter office. Don't be locked into one's offer. They all offer incentives, but it comes down to which you mesh with the best and would enjoy the contracted years with the most. I hope you decide to follow through with enlisting. It's an honorable and unique path in life, unlike any other.
                        |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Comment

This is funny. I knew so many squids that spent their bonus on crotch rockets. I spent mine on a stereo for my firebird.

My advice is invest that $8k and when you retire you should have at least $140K when you hit 65. Just think how many lap dances that will buy. And I mean GOOD lap dances!
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Does the Mustang Ranch do layaway?
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hey, you don't get your bonus all at once (unless things have changed). You get part of it when you get to your duty station (after passing basic and AIT). The remaining part is spread out over the rest of your active enlistment. I had $12,000 for signing up, got, like... (trying to remember back then) $5,000 and then had the rest in payments every year for the rest of my first term. Remember, the government taxes your bonus, too. That's why you get folks reenlisting overseas. Tax-free bonuses, the feds don't dip their hands into your loot.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X