You aren't a Compact Car!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You aren't a Compact Car!

So, this isn't a thread meant in any way to rag on big cars, SUVs, Vans or Trucks. I'm from Texas where at least half the vehicles on the road are these biguns. If you're willing to deal with lower mpg, etc. then I have no problem with your choice -- even if you're driving a 4 wheel drive where you really have no use for it.

But I want to clarify things for people who drive SUVs, Trucks, Vans and big cars. You cannot fit into a compact spot. These spots are not designed for you, and by taking those spots, you're selfishly taking spots.

Even if this person parked perfectly and somehow managed to get JUST in between the lines (which of course they have not), they're going to make it nearly impossible for any other car to park next to them.

So here's a Q&A

But there's no one else around!
    Unless you're running into the 711 for a minute to grab something, then there's a pretty good chance there WILL be people who want that spot you're taking in the future will be taken.

But there are a ton of SUVs/Trucks who do this!
    Yes, but that doesn't give you an excuse to be selfish.

I'm pretty sure a compact car could fit into the spot beside me
    They might... after pulling in and out in and out to maneuver themselves. But this still isn't fair to everyone around.

But my SUV/truck is small!
    I've yet to see an SUV that will comfortably fit into a compact car space.

But the big spots close by are taken!
    It still doesn't matter. Your car isn't compact. A little walking won't kill you anyway.

My Lincoln Towncar is compact, right?
    No. It goes in the regular spots just like all the SUVs and Trucks.

---

The point of my post isn't "I have a small car, so I deserve those spots more than you." It's that by putting a vehicle not designed for the spot in there, you're making it difficult to impossible to fill spots around you. I know many don't even think about this, so I hope this can serve as a wakeup call for some.

Think about it this way: if you're at a mall with compact and regular spots... if those SUVs taking up two spots moved to regular spots, it would mean that more compact cars could take those compact spots instead of regular spots, leaving more regular spots open. So at least on a large scale, this will HELP you get a parking spot.

Re: You aren't a Compact Car!

Usually the compact spots are designated parking space with, say, trees in the middle of it and the space in front of it. Meaning if you park your TownCar in that spot, your butt's gonna stick out.

Back in California, whenever I saw someone who did like what you showed above, I would purposely park next to them to make it nigh impossible to get in their door. I do the same thing with people who park over the line in parking spaces.

Though on that note, I'm not surprised the photographed offender has California plates. They do that all the time.

Unless it's enforced and tickets can/are issued, it'll continue. So. Oh well.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
      Usually the compact spots are designated parking space with, say, trees in the middle of it and the space in front of it. Meaning if you park your TownCar in that spot, your butt's gonna stick out.

Back in California, whenever I saw someone who did like what you showed above, I would purposely park next to them to make it nigh impossible to get in their door. I do the same thing with people who park over the line in parking spaces.

Though on that note, I'm not surprised the photographed offender has California plates. They do that all the time.

Unless it's enforced and tickets can/are issued, it'll continue. So. Oh well.
      I agree it'll continue, but that doesn't mean fewer people doing it won't improve things. "everyone else is doing it" isn't a defense for being selfish.

I usually leave polite notes on SUVs who are in violation. I think most people do this because they aren't even aware that other people care. Most aren't "bad people" or anything.

I'd love to see tickets handed out for this type of thing, but I'm not sure that parking enforcement can really give tickets for private lots... But maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, and to your solution, you have to make sure you get really close or you're just going to get a dent in your passenger side door.

Comment

I live in London, but my family's home is in the country side in central england. I leave my little 10 year old battered ford fiesta back at my family's home, and use the wonderful public transport while I'm in London. Unfortunately for part of my time down here I have been in South Kensington which is quite an expensive area and borders on Chelsea (if you don't know about London boroughs, and fancy looking this is quite a good description http://www.londonforum.org.uk/societies). Anyway one of the things that annoys me most about living there are Chelsea Tractors ( http://www.macmillandictionaries.com...ea-tractor.htm).

I drive my car through streams, up roads which have never had tarmac on them, occasionally around fields and up 25 degree hills and it does it easily, so you obviously don't need a a huge 4x4 to get around London.

You may argue that you need the extra space? Well my 5 door car can fit a drum kit in it plus my large 30kg amp and three guitars, mic stands and various bags of leads!!! It is mainly middle age women driving these things, I mean what do they put in them kettle drums?? What weird and strange activities do their children do that means they need enough space for an elephant to juggle seals in the back?

The final thing I have heard people say is this, I just want my kids to be safe. And I can understand this protectivness over children, but these cars are no safer than any other. Because of their greater mass they take more energy to stop so are likely to be going faster than a smaller car would in a collision. And then what if this collision is into the back of a smaller car with another families children in the back seat, the children in the other car are far more likely to survive if a smaller car collides with them than a 4x4.

I am not totally against 4x4, my friend is an enthusiast, but he realises how much petrol his uses up so he only drives it when he is going OFF ROADING. So I suggest this, all these women with there porsche cayennes and your land rover range rovers I will morally let you keep your car if you kindly sit in it with me while I show you what a 4x4 car is actually meant for.

Sorry about the rant.
        Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. I do have my "big" old Cadillac, which I LOVE for my highway driving and traveling, but I use my little Mazda 3 hatch to run around town. SO much better for the city. When I see an SUV or truck totally and obnoxiously over their line and about 2 feet into my spot (the only free space in the lot), I will fold my right side mirror in, then get my car about a half inch from their car, making them have to get in from their passenger side. Haha. I've gotten some nasty notes from doing that, but oh well. Plus my car has hail damage and door dings anyway, so I don't care if they bump me.

Another time, I was in the corner of a parking lot facing the street, a big SUV decided to park caddy-corner to me facing the restaurant. He was sticking so far out of his spot, with like 4 feet to spare, that he blocked my exit. Thus, I used my little Mazda to "gently" nudge his truck out of the way. I got out, and didn't even dent his bumper. But even if I did, I wouldn't have felt bad about it. That's what they get. I can't stand inconsiderate parkers. I always try my best to be square in the middle of the lines. Not that difficult of a concept.

Maybe this is just my bias, but truck and SUV drivers do seem to be the worst offenders of parking diagonally over two spots. I used to run my old boss's behemoth Ford F-250 diesel around, and was able to parallel park that beast AND always get in between the lines on the first go. It's not that freakin' hard! So how come people who actually own these vehicles can't get it?
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
            Oh, and to your solution, you have to make sure you get really close or you're just going to get a dent in your passenger side door.
            I couldn't care less how big of a dent they left in my door, I have a $500 Ford Tempo. I think they'd be far more concerned about the paint on their door than mine. The rather beefy rubstrips on my doors notwithstanding.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
              I couldn't care less how big of a dent they left in my door, I have a $500 Ford Tempo. I think they'd be far more concerned about the paint on their door than mine. The rather beefy rubstrips on my doors notwithstanding.
              I hear ya. I LOVE cars like yours. It's fun to be able to bump stuff, give your friends love taps, go "off-roading", and generally not worry about anything. My 1986 Subaru GL (w/ AWD) was, and still is, the most favorite of all my past cars. :) (And I only paid $150 for it!)

Comment

Amen to the small car. May it go far and dent bigguns.

Drunk Alex
                Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

well, my purpose wasn't to tell people off for driving big cars, and I'd rather keep this thread on purpose. I just don't want them parking in compact spots.

Comment

http://www.youparklikean*******.com/

:)

"War is politics by another means, but I personally enjoy just kicking the crap outta things sometimes."

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
                      Hahaha! AWESOME link! I love the printable citations!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X