Car Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Restoration

So, for the longest time my father and I have been discussing about the idea of venturing on a car restoration project. He's had a lot of cars that he's restored and enjoyed doing it. He's restored cars ranging from a Opel GT, a MG, BMW, and worked with a friend on a '72 'Cuda.

I have looked at Challengers, Stingrays, and even a Jaguar from a guy in my town.

I am about speed and muscle but also a good car that i can cruise the coast with and punch it with the top down. I have no problem buy equipment and tools to do this. Now, im not talking FULL restoration, but something that i can repaint, clean the engine and redo the interior.

The description is pretty general but just looking to get some sweet suggestions. I have a VW Golf that i have worked on a lot since purchasing it and find it fun as a Guy to work on vehicles and take pride in working on my car.
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: Car Restoration

Watch out for rust. If you have to, it might be worth the time and expense to trailer a car from my neck of the woods back to yours. My brother is restoring two old M151s (and A1 and an A2) and the rust is killing him. My cousin is restoring an M151-A1C with very little rust and his project is going faster and costing significantly less money than my brother's projects.
    sigpic

Comment

Look into what parts you can get as well, I restored a 1959 Ford galaxie and since its something of a rare car to restore, its hard to find new parts that fit the old equipment, and as a result I have had to fangle things togteher in some places, it works ok, but its alot easier to just buy a new peice that plugs into the old parts :)

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

We have a Mk 3 Capri sitting in the garage, dad and I are planning to fix it up at some point, it's just finding the time. :D

Do you care about the age? Or could it just be a fairly new car that you do up? That would lessen the parts problem.

Comment

Bwahahaha. I have a 1928 Ford Model A in the garage that my dad and I are hopefully at some point going to get driveable again.
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

well im assuming if i pick a 70's muscle car that the parts won't be that hard to get ahold of. They are still sitting in junk yards waiting to be adopted.

Spartan 4

Comment

Whats your price range?
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

My price range hasn't been set yet as this is a combination between my father and I. I am an electrical engineer and make damn good money and have been saving for a long time. I think total would be like 20G's but that depends on what amount of work we want to do. I could spend most of that on a car in good shape and do little work or buy a car in bad shape and spend lots on repairs and such.

Im not talking about restorations like you see on TV with the pro's, but restoring a car to its former self.

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                  My price range hasn't been set yet as this is a combination between my father and I. I am an electrical engineer and make damn good money and have been saving for a long time. I think total would be like 20G's but that depends on what amount of work we want to do. I could spend most of that on a car in good shape and do little work or buy a car in bad shape and spend lots on repairs and such.

Im not talking about restorations like you see on TV with the pro's, but restoring a car to its former self.
                  How picky are you about authenticity? Because you can probably get away with doing a muscle car restoration by picking up a new crate engine and dropping it in. There's a lot less effort and muss/fuss in doing that than trying to restore an original motor and transmission.

My buddy's dad would do that with old Stingray Vettes he would restore, and I know a lot of people do that with old Chevelles and Cameros. Aftermarket "SS" badges are easy to find. :)
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Yeah i've been leaning towards switching out the engine for one that's already in great shape instead of taking apart the already existing one and replacing whats damaged or old.

Spartan 4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...