Amazing New Technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing New Technology

This is just amazing. The video explains it all much better than I can. Virtual interaction with a simulated character so real it is mind-boggling. Can't wait to try this out when it releases (unknown date at this time).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM[/media]

I'd like to hear others reactions as well. This is absolutely brilliant.
    |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Re: Amazing New Technology

Sweet, now we'll never need to talk to real people again! How I love modernity.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Imagine the possibilities.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

I'm all for socializing with people who aren't real and never leave the house again!

LOL. In all seriousness, I think this is fantastic how technology and intelligence in virtual reality is coming along. Just think if this is being released to the public, what technology being kept secret is available. Whatever we get recycled is probably years behind technology being worked upon as we speak behind closed doors. I'd love to test this "game" out. Second Life and current sociability and level of communication, spread of knowledge, creativity, and debate available online now is already amazing to me.
        |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

I don't know, although Im sure the scanning thing and the hand moving thing was genuine I feel that this is quite misleading. Im not sure which bits they want me to believe are "unscripted" or not. For example
          1) The conversation, is that scripted?
          2) Are his movements scripted?
          3) Are his emotions scripted?
          In my opinion I think those were all scripted, otherwise they have made software you can have a "real" conversation with, which I think we are far off at the moment. If it is just this visual recognisation of body movements, well then I'm not that impressed, I mean its just a more complex i-toy or what ever that device was. Recognising facial reactions is impressive, but not so impressive that I am going to sell my computer and get an xbox just to get this when it comes out.
          Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
            but not so impressive that I am going to sell my computer and get an xbox just to get this when it comes out.
            I agree with you, it all seems well and good but if it turns out to be that he can only say certain things and only recognise a limited amount of emotion it would get boring pretty quickly.

Even so looks great so far! Can't wait for a more extended 'conversation' video to be released.

Comment

Alexander: I was thinking that myself while watching. I guess I still am looking forward to it's public release (hopefully it happens) to fool around with it and test that theory by being creative and seeing how resourceful and vast the ability of this AI boy actually is programmed.
              |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Cool little program, but as I think we all understand is that this is 100% scripted. If you said, "Hey buddy, wanna go to the bar?" You still would of still ended up walking off and drawing a fish at the dock. Purely scripted, and obviously scripted & acted on the human side of things as well. Even the fact that "Claire" was dressed in a red shirt, to match the in-game model was sorta cute.

I'll stick with the controller for another decade or two. Still, it's good to see some developers thinking outside of the box, and keeping innovation in the industry.

Comment

Yeah its awesome
                  I made this social group a while ago...
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/groups/xbox-360-natal.html

Feel free to join

Comment

Smoke and mirrors. Natal is just a fancy example of basic voice recognition technology and camera technology that has existed for a while. Now sure, a car is just a really advanced application of wheels and fire, but this, like all demonstrations at E3, are really about as legit as watching Penn and Teller's stage show.

The simple fact is that the way Claire moves and talks to Milo was 99% worthless fluff. Notice the 'cues' on the bottom of the screen. A microphone turns on when the game is expecting a vocal response.

She started off saying how she felt. I'm putting money on that if it wasn't just scripted to begin with, Milo was simply given a dictionary of a handful of feelings. "Happy", "Sad", "Nervous". Natal just ignored everything except the one word it recognized, which was "nervous" and then threw out Milo's programmed line with his programmed facial and emotion change. You could demonstrate this same technology with any game with dialog choices if it were built to take advantage of voice recognition technology. Note that this is not new - UT2k3 let you control your teammate bots with voice commands as well. The simple fact is, nobody uses it for many reasons.

They then walk along to the dock. Claire says some stuff, but notice absolutely nothing she says or does has an impact 'in game'. When Milo took a death-defying leap of two feet, she acted all scared and ready to catch him. If that didn't scream 'actress' I don't know what did. Wait, I do:

Milo throws Clair a pair of goggles, goggles she was ready to catch before he even tossed them. She was ready for that.

The water demonstration, again, was nothing new. In fact I'm sure we've all seen this before in various places. Sometimes there's swimming logos on the floor you can kick around, sometimes it's the basic 'pond' demonstration. I've seen these in various places before, nothing new here.

Then she draws a picture, holds it up, and Natal seemed to only recognize the color 'orange'. And then it ends.

Go look at Peter Molyneux's videos about Black and White, or Fable. He's a master of deception. Simply put, I don't see why anyone would believe anything this guy says. His entire history of these sorts of demonstrations have always turned out to be wrong or quietly faded into obscurity where I can only assume he hopes people will forget about what he promised.

I guess what they wanted the audience to delude themselves into believing was that this was some sort of autonomously acting character (without saying it themselves). Even if this were a legit demonstration, there's no way the Xbox 360 has the hardware to handle even a fraction of that behavior.

Finally, and my biggest peeve with this stuff, is the message itself. It's supposed to 'revolutionize interactivity!' and stuff. But what does that really mean?

The Natal demonstration was of an actress and a scripted boy walking along a shore and doing a couple stupid, boring, mundane things. The reason people haven't invested into making games based on a webcam that recognizes what you drew on a piece of paper is because it has almost no application in 'real' games.

Likewise, the Playstation Motion Controller also debuted at E3 simply showed a guy swinging something around and battering stuff in a room. That's about as practical as the Wiimote ever got - swinging things - which isn't something that comes up too often unless you really, really like 400 tennis games.

Smoke and mirrors, friends, smoke and mirrors. If Natal were even half as legit as they want you to think, why didn't they have a live demonstration, and invite people from the audience to 'talk' to Milo? Because the illusion would've shattered when they first guy told Milo to bugger off, and the game goes "?????".

Comment

Even if scripted, it shows they may be still improving it for public release. It was obviously a presentation to sell the idea. Can't blame them there. I'm still very interested in this interactivity. It can come a long way.
                      |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

I was about to sell my 360 until I saw this. I will be the first in line to reserve it. I think it will open up different types of games we've never thought about. If it comes close to how it's being advertised (facial and vocal recognition, depth perception, etc.), it's going to be a super hot item.
                        I don't believe the Milo demo was ever meant to be a "game". From what I understand, Microsoft just gave Lionhead the Natal and asked them to see what they could do with it. The video just shows you what the possibilities are.
                        sigpic
                        I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandaid View Post
                          I was about to sell my 360 until I saw this. I will be the first in line to reserve it. I think it will open up different types of games we've never thought about. If it comes close to how it's being advertised (facial and vocal recognition, depth perception, etc.), it's going to be a super hot item.
                          I don't believe the Milo demo was ever meant to be a "game". From what I understand, Microsoft just gave Lionhead the Natal and asked them to see what they could do with it. The video just shows you what the possibilities are.
                          And those possibilities are what exactly? Almost nobody is going to make games that require you to own a proprietary piece of hardware, and I really, really hope people aren't dumb enough to buy this when there's absolutely nothing that supports it (PhysX anyone?). The only thing this could do is remove the necessity to use a menu in, for example, Mass Effect to chose your dialog, and I'm not wholly sure people actually WANT to be talking to their TVs, or forced to move around in front of it. I feel weird enough when my DS wants me to yell at it.

I really don't see any use for this at all. Once again, there isn't any remote hope that Milo was acting autonomously. Microsoft didn't invent an AI here.

Comment

It's just Pete Molybendium blowing smoke up our asses again. There's nothing new or even interesting here. Go check out some of the demonstration videos for Multi-touch displays if you want to see something really cool. This is just a scripted video that fakes AI.

For the record, I've done the 'catching fish' thing in a movie theatre a few years ago. Just a projector shooting an image at the floor.

And... science fiction has written about a lot more than a camera that can recognize shade and color. My laptop can recognize my face and log me into my account, and discriminate between my face and a strangers. HAL9000 could, you know, think, which is a hell of a lot more than what's being demonstrated.

The 'Science fiction hasn't written' thing tweaks my gooseberries. I'm not even sure what they're trying to present as revolutionary or interesting here. It's just an E3 demonstrator...

Here's some real cool new tech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfFwgPuEdSk
                            Last edited by FrankManik; 08-13-2009, 01:48 AM. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFapI4PxL9Q&feature=related

Comment

lol But Jeff Han himself admits that multi-touch is nothing new towards the end of his video. He's just giving you a prettier interface now that that we have access to more computing power.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X