Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A level results

Anyone else got there's today?

I'm happy to say I did very well and off to uni in September!

Re: A level results

YAY! Well Done!

I've got all that to look forward to next year :(

Comment

I assume this is some form of standardized test?

(I'm American)
      "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Yea, its the level above the GCSE's which you take at the end of high school, but before university. I don't know what that is in the US. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Advanced_Level

Comment

What are you guys studying?
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I dropped out of my A levels 2 years ago because of a soul sucking game called wow :(

but on the plus side I'm now doing a course to make games like wow :D

Good luck to everyone getting their results today

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

That must be like our SAT or ACT.

Comment

In the US we've got a few different testing standards. The SAT and ACT are pretty common. But they're a secondary part of normal high school classes. Basically, we're all required to do twelve years of schooling, grades 1-12. And in grade 11 or 12 you take the SATs or the ACTs, or whatever other standard your part of the country adheres to. You get a score for the SAT/ACT (I think the SAT is 0000/1600 possible points, and the ACT is 00/25 possible points). You also get letter grades for your classes, like math, english, history, whatever.

Colleges and Universities in the States look at your grades in High school (Grades 8-12, and really, only grades 11-12 seem to count if you have a decent score on your SAT/ACT). Then they look at your SAT/ACT scores. Then they look at your extracurricular activities, such as sports, student government, volunteer time, wacky science inventions, that might speak to your credit. And usually you write a letter explaining why you want to go to such and such school and they consider that as well.

Then, apparently, they throw all that stuff in the garbage and sacrifice a chicken. They look at the chickens guys and decide whether or not you should be admitted into their college/university.

And that's how we do it in the States.

Comment

SAT is 600-2400 score range. And the only ones sacrificing chickens are the private colleges, because most of the public schools have to let in everyone who meets their standards.
                  "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Congrats gents. Where in the UK are you heading?

Comment

Indeed congrats!

A levels are 'Advanced' subjects which you usually take three of, between the ages of 16-18 and focus on a specific area like Chemistry, Maths, or French. The General Certificate of Secondary education are exams you take at about 16 and encompass general subjects including English and Maths. At this point you can drop out of school or continue to study, usually with the aim of getting to university which in general requires passing A Levels.

Overall, I have heard better reports about the US system. Actually I have heard better reports about European systems than the UK one. European systems seem to educate better and the US one gives a more general feel at uni to begin with, allowing people time to feel their way through to what they want to focus on. The UK system is poor and dumbed down until A level and forces kids to 'select' what 'vocation' they want at about 14-18, which is beyond the scope of a deepened knowledge of who they are.

Echoing Jeepo, congrats to all and perhaps more so to Adept for finding the ground and don't chase too many chicks now ;)

Comment

Uni's great! Especially if you're a Scottish student since it's free. From what I hear the American University system is... immoral. I don't think it's right to pile on debt to people that age. Even the price of the books is ridiculous. I should leave uni with 4000 - 8000 debt that I only pay back once I'm earning >16000 which will hopefully be straight away.

Well done for getting in to uni. I hear it's harder this year because many more people are applying to hide from the recession!

Comment

Originally posted by sporkife View Post
                          SAT is 600-2400 score range. And the only ones sacrificing chickens are the private colleges, because most of the public schools have to let in everyone who meets their standards.
                          Seriously? Geez a lot has changed in 10 years. when I was in high school, the range was 400-1600 (800 max for each of math and english). (yes, the myth about getting 400 points for writing your name correctly is true) Hell, I was there the first year they introduced the SAT II, which I dont think exists anymore either, as it was probably integrated into the SAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            Seriously? Geez a lot has changed in 10 years. when I was in high school, the range was 400-1600 (800 max for each of math and english). (yes, the myth about getting 400 points for writing your name correctly is true) Hell, I was there the first year they introduced the SAT II, which I dont think exists anymore either, as it was probably integrated into the SAT.
                            What they did was added a third section - critical reading - with the same point value as the other two, 200 for writing your name and a max of 800. The SAT II is actually quite popular; the SAT IIs are subject-specific tests - biology, chemistry, math, a huge pile of languages, and a couple others. Those are also 200-800 score range, but are signed up for and taken separately. An ACT or SAT score is a requirement for most colleges now, and SAT II scores are either required or highly recommended at the majority of more competitive colleges.

And they added an essay to the SAT. Damn thee, essay.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                              Then, apparently, they throw all that stuff in the garbage and sacrifice a chicken. They look at the chickens guys and decide whether or not you should be admitted into their college/university.

And that's how we do it in the States.
                              LOL! Indeed it is!
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X