Screwed by the Ol' US Army

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed by the Ol' US Army

As you all know..I was supposed to ship out for US Army BCT yesterday, well that didnt happen. I was at MEPS yesterday waiting for my turn to get called by my counselor to finalize my contract on get on the place to head to Ft. Jackson. Everything was goin good until the doctor called me in to take whats called a depth perception test. I thought it was a test that everyone would take and pass, I was wrong. This test was to supposedly make sure that I was qualified for my MOS. I ended up failing the test, and they had to "reno" my contract which means drop it and I had to choose antoher MOS. They showed me a list of 18 MOS's and I didnt want none of them, I asked if I could be able to get military police and it didnt happen. So, I asked if I would be able to take my ASVAB over and the people at MEPS are telling me all this crap that I will not be able to cause it will be a harder version. So I told them to drop my contract, my parents showed up and everything to the MEPS to wish me luck on my journey and I told them what happened. Up till now, I cant figure out why they waited till the day that I ship to give me this test? Was it a diversion to not let me get the job or what? I am both confused and disappointed at the same time. Now I want nothing to do with the US Army. I am considering goin to the Marines and taking my ASVAB over so I can get more job choices. My biggest problem is figuring out what to tell all those people I said bye to and the people that wished me luck and so forth. All I wanna know is why wait till the day that im supposed to ship off for basic to give me this test? Something is definitely wrong there. I hope this story helps someone who is thinking of joining the military. Make sure to do your research properly before you join and don't trust anyone, even if your recruiter seems that he cares about you..he doesn't, cause at the end of the day he has a job to do

Re: Screwed by the Ol' US Army

Similar thing happened to me. Only my MOS was changed at basic. I knew what the other MOS was and just accepted it, even though at the time I didn't like the fact they changed it. I grew to like it.

I fully understand you're feeling of getting screwed though.

You have to understand also that when you join you fairly much give up alot of what you want. You're in for Uncle Sam now and he will do what he wants to with ya. Good and bad.

They probably did see something that made them want to give ya the test though. If you failed, then there's a reason. Of course, they also probably needed more of the other MOS's.

Who knows. So, you've already been sworn in and such? I don't know where you'd go as far as if you could slide over into Marines or some other branch.

BTW, what MOS were you wanting? Which ones did they present to ya?

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Why would you want to take your ASVAB again? That's not going to help you with your depth perception failure. It's fairly hard to get around an eyesight deficiency. I had asthma when younger, and through medical tests I gained a waiver for that (although I baaarely passed the lung capacity test ;P). Understand that all the new enlistees are processed at the MEPS you went to, so you could be snagged for the depth perception deficiency repeatedly. They're trying to work with you by offering you other choices.

I'm getting where you're coming from by trying to stick with... well, whatever MOS you wanted. MP? Infantry?

Comment

What other choices did you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
          Why would you want to take your ASVAB again? That's not going to help you with your depth perception failure.
          Its not gonna help but since I have no contract, im gonna see me USMC recruiter and he said I will be able to take my asvab over so I can get a MP job

Originally posted by TG_JBRanger View Post

Who knows. So, you've already been sworn in and such? I don't know where you'd go as far as if you could slide over into Marines or some other branch.

BTW, what MOS were you wanting? Which ones did they present to ya?
          I swore in but I dint swore in for the second time, I talk to my USMC recruiter and he said he would just transfer me over to that branch with no problem. I want something in law enforcement, preferably MP

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
          What other choices did you have?
          Most of the choices I had were direct combat, logistics, and administration jobs which didnt appeal to me. They tried to pressure me in picking a job but I'm not gonna pick something I don't like and I can benefit from in the civilian world

Comment

My brother went into the MP's for the air force. Did you think about the Air Force?
            FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

No..Im not a big fan of the Air Force

Comment

Hey, so you are aware, military police doesn't offer you any guarantee on getting a LE job post-military. You go to the police academy regardless of your previous experience (unless you're a lateral hire, as in a POST-certified officer leaving his existing department and being hired onto a new one). Going along those lines, being an MP doesn't really offer any hard skillsets you can rely upon to land you a civvie job anymore than an infantryman, combat engineer, or tanker can. They ALL offer soft skillsets that are desirable to civilian law enforcement (discipline, able to operate under stress, etc, etc, etc, blahblah).

There are MOS's which can offer direct counterparts in the civilian defense sector if you really want something that you can jump right into once your contract expires. These are the really technical jobs that can sometimes offer security clearances.

Comment

In addition to that, and you can ask any of the guys here with military experience, even if you do get slotted for military police, chances are that within a few years, you wont be doing it anymore. Not because theres anything wrong with you or you dont like it, but because uncle sam decided he has something else in mind for you. Take both of my parents for example: My dad was a helo pilot. Flew anti-submarine warfare birds for the Navy. After he was done flying, instead of getting a squadron, they put him in counter-intelligence. After that they put him in command of a base. My mom was a personnel officer, and then she was on Schwarzkopf's administrative staff during the first gulf war, then she was commander of a base, then she was commander of a naval recruiting district, then she was in counter-intelligence. Do any of those paths maker any particular sense? No. But thats what they were offered.

Plus, as JB said, there are other mitigating circumstances that can crop up. Suppose you do get MP, go to basic and then are told that theres no MP slots open right now. It happens, a LOT. You're already under contract by that point, so you cant just walk away, but you do have to choose another MOS. These are things you need to be prepared for.

Comment

Especially the Marine Corps. When I was fishing around for an enlistment, the MC recruiter told me that the Corps works to give you the job you want, but there's no guarantee (has it that changed? Any new Marines around here?)

The Army locks you into the slot for the job you choose, so provided you pass basic and the AIT, you're good to go. That's why sometimes jobs aren't available when you inquire about them during enlistment or reenlistment. The slots are already taken by personnel in the training pipeline.

I have no idea how the Navy or Air Force works their MOS slots.

Speak to some existing MPs if you haven't yet. You may not even like the job. From my outsider's view (so take it with a grain of salt), it seems MPs give speeding tickets for those speedsters doing 35 in a 30mph zone on post, hand out parking tickets, arrest suspected DUI drivers on-post, pick up drunk soldiers who earned themselves a DUI off-post, and respond to domestic violence aftermaths. Doesn't seem too exciting. There are scumbags in the military you'd deal with once in a while, but nowhere near the amount a civilian cop does. CID handles the in-depth stuff, drug rings, murder investigations, etc. Not to mention the absolutely inane garbage you'd have to enforce if you deployed as a regular MP and patrolled one of the big bases overseas (Liberty, Bagram, etc.). I'm talking about stuff like handing out tickets for soldiers walking around at night without a reflective belt on. Real exciting things like that. :P

If you sign up for a field MP, well... heh. The field MPs on this last deployment spent the entire 15 months as a taxi-cab service picking up detainees captured at FOBs and ferrying them back to the detainment center on the base for processing. That's it.

Comment

Going 11B and shooting people in the face sounds way more interesting than giving out ridiculous speeding tickets.....

There are downsides to everything however....

I am sure that being in a combat MOS would be very helpful in a future LEO career, for the reasons Gillespie mentioned.
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I can do MP and then go SRT

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                          Going 11B and shooting people in the face sounds way more interesting than giving out ridiculous speeding tickets.....
                          A pretty ignorant view...

(Active Duty AF, 1W031 Weather Forecaster, Coming up on 1 year mark.)

Anyway. I failed the Depth Perception Test. It did disqualify me from a FEW jobs. I have perfect vision. 20/20. Trust me, a ton of people fail that test. It was designed by the Army, and we've all complained about it for YEARS but it's not gonna change any time soon.

How long have you been in the DEP program? I went to MEPS 3 months before I was even eligible to go to BMT. So why they gave you the Depth Perception test the DAY you were going to be leaving is odd. But I would not dwell on that.

Don't go rushing into anything. Don't jump ship over to the marines. Don't say "F-it" and join the Air Force out of spite. If you want to join the Army, join the Army. Typically, no marine gets the job they want unless they go grunt. I say this from experience in joint-training with hundreds of Marines for 8 months. Do you think any of them wanted Weather or Precision (whatever it was...)? Nope. They all tried to get Artillery, Aircrew, Armor, Armory, etc... So don't jump into a sister-service or anything brash like that.

I'd also like to hear your reasons against the Air Force. Having trained with AF, Marines, and Army, I'd like to sort through the BS that may have been fed to you by others.

Once again, stick with your heart. You chose the Army for a reason, and I encourage you to do so.

EDIT: On MP's...

Army has MP's. AF has Security Forces. SAME JOB, just more funding for SF than MP. Sorry.

I've dealt with both, so I think it's fair to compare the two and call them just about even. But I do have much more experience with SF. There seem to be 3 parts of SF/MP:

1. Sitting at a gate, in the 98 degree weather, checking ID's. For 8-12 hours.
                          2. Poaching people in a patrol car. What I mean is what everyone else has said - you'll get bored. You'll look for that Soldier/Airmen who is going 33 in a 30. You'll pull him over.
                          3. Deployed, doing gate duty/base security. Which is not as "fun" as you might think. Say you get attacked by mortars. Are you going to go out the wire to get them? Hell no. By the time those guys fired, they are running. And by the time they fired, Apaches were already pumping them full of 30mm heat rounds.
                          4. Deployed, outside the wire, getting shot at.

Just my opinion. ALL Military jobs can pretty much set you up for success in a law enforcement career.
                          Skud

Comment

Also.

DO NOT GO IN OPEN GENERAL OR UNDESIGNATED. ONLY SIGN A CONTRACT WITH AN MOS GUARANTEED.

Want to get out of the house fast? I did too. But trust me, if I hadn't waited, and did a "quick ship" I might have wound up (with my 1734 SAT's, 93 on ASVAB, 96 on Electronics, and generally a smart guy) flipping burgers. You'd think I was lying, but I've seen it happen.
                            Skud

Comment

As an Army Vet with an Infantry background...the MP's are used in direct combat operations. As Gillespie stated being an MP will not guarantee a job as a LE. In fact, sometimes being an MP hurts your chances. Also concerning is that you stated you did not want direct combat, however you are considering the marines. I honestly, think you need to re-evaluate what you want to do and then speak to someone about your goals. In any case, I have known cooks and "desk jockeys" that were put on the front lines. Every soldier is trained the same way in basic for a reason...to be a rifleman/woman.

If you are frustrated over failing a test and hurt by "being screwed by the "'Ol US Army" then maybe the military is not for you. The military will frustrate you more that this little hiccup, and that I can guarantee.
                              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X