Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice..

Hey guys,

I posted this in another forum that I guess doesn't get much traffic so i'm reposting here to get some opinions.

I have recently decided to go back to college. I graduated in '02 from high school and went on to UMass Lowell for one year for electrical engineering but due to multiple factors both related to school and unrelated I dropped out and didn't want to be there and my grades reflected that. I had decided to "take a year off" and figures stuff out. It's now '09 and I'm headed back after years of construction and i'm tired of working my backside off in the heat and not having much to show for it.

I have enrolled at the local Tech college where they offer IT classes but I'm not sure which track to take. They offer networking, programming and web programming. I'm looking for advice from anyone who may be in these fields and can offer an experienced opinion on which is better off long term as far as job availability/demand and income. I'm not planning to go back to spring and it'll be a few years till I'm done since I have to work and do night school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
    Fiddlestx

Re: Need advice..

If you want to make money but hate your job - do programming.

I went to school for networking and I feel like it was a little to generalized. That's why I'm stuck in freaking Tech Support.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Internet Security...
      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I would have loved to go into Security, but not many places offer courses in it.

If there's a Linux class, I'd go with that. Good Linux/Unix Admins are worth their weight in gold to the right companies.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Well, I don't know much about the degree you are obtaining.
          But congrats and going back to college! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddlestx View Post

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
            Delete system32.
            Skud

Comment

Download Linux to a virtual machine on your local, and learn it. I would personally go with the UNIX/LINUX option. way more security than anything else IT.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                If you want to make money but hate your job - do programming.

I went to school for networking and I feel like it was a little to generalized. That's why I'm stuck in freaking Tech Support.
                I program, and I love my job. I'm in the process of spec'ing out a new tiny Linux-based embedded system to work with. :D
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X