• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government to have Internet Kill switch

Sad but true:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...trol-internet/

Re: Government to have Internet Kill switch

First, it is a proposed bill, not a passed measure so 'Government to have' should read 'Should this bill pass both houses the Government would be given the power to..."

Second, a kill switch completely cancels something. The Internet cannot have a 'kill switch' as the most they could do is stop the top level DNS routers from responding, canceling most casual traffic. Computers could still manually connect, networks that don't use DNS servers would still work and private providers would still be able to make their own connections if they desired. Plus the description makes it sound like the law would be ineffective since it doesn't clarify how the powers would work.

Most likely this won't happen anyway, I'd only feign concern if the bill actually passed the Senate and made it to the House where it would likely die anyway.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Two words: chinese proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        First, it is a proposed bill, not a passed measure so 'Government to have' should read 'Should this bill pass both houses the Government would be given the power to..."

Second, a kill switch completely cancels something. The Internet cannot have a 'kill switch' as the most they could do is stop the top level DNS routers from responding, canceling most casual traffic. Computers could still manually connect, networks that don't use DNS servers would still work and private providers would still be able to make their own connections if they desired. Plus the description makes it sound like the law would be ineffective since it doesn't clarify how the powers would work.

Most likely this won't happen anyway, I'd only feign concern if the bill actually passed the Senate and made it to the House where it would likely die anyway.
        The title is to grab attention ;) you know like titles do :)

Comment

Iran sure wishes they had this power. And politicians in the US seem to envy Iran's morality and political central control a lot.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well, it's a good thing I have this DarkNet server here.... :D
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X