Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some help from you gun people.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need some help from you gun people.

    I received a clip of ammo from my WWII vet grandfather. He died before I could find out what it was though. So I'm trying to find out what this is. He did tell me that it was fully loaded.










  • #2
    Re: I need some help from you gun people.

    That's an En Bloc clip from the M1 Garand. The clip holds 8 30-06 rounds. The rifle served through WWII (replacing the Springfield), Korea, and a chunk of Vietnam (being replaced by the m14 and m16 assault rifle).

    For pics http://www.a-human-right.com/garand.html

    For History http://www.pattonhq.com/garand.html
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

    My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

    Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

    When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I need some help from you gun people.

      10 sec on a google search....


      http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=137851187


      You got some 30-06.....
      |TG-X|Turkish

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I need some help from you gun people.

        I'm am not by any means a gun person. I know only a small amount about ammo and such. I thought it might be 30-06 from a M1 since that was what was being used at the time but I was not sure. Thanks alot. As I said, that was ammo issued to my grandfather in WWII in the Marine Corps. He was stationed in the Marshal Islands in the IV Marine Division.

        As far as I can tell it's fully loaded. Prey tell, how sensative is this stuff?


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I need some help from you gun people.

          Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
          I'm am not by any means a gun person. I know only a small amount about ammo and such. I thought it might be 30-06 from a M1 since that was what was being used at the time but I was not sure. Thanks alot. As I said, that was ammo issued to my grandfather in WWII in the Marine Corps. He was stationed in the Marshal Islands in the IV Marine Division.

          As far as I can tell it's fully loaded. Prey tell, how sensative is this stuff?
          "Fully Loaded" is a term commonly reserved for firearms with a round in the chamber, and the action ready to fire. Not ammunition.

          I understand what you mean however.

          On the back of the cartridge there is a round center circle, that is the primer. It initiates the explosive process. If you hit that with a punch or something it might go bang...

          The cartridges have a set bullet, and a intact(sorta)primer. So yes, they are what you might call "Fully Loaded".

          Ultimately it will depend on the condition of cartridge. If you put it in a gun expect they will go bang.

          Just licking them or something isn't going to make them go boom. They aren't toys though....

          Treat them for what they are, explosives with missiles, and enjoy the history.
          |TG-X|Turkish

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I need some help from you gun people.

            lol Forgive my improper use of the term. Terminology isn't my strength.

            I do know the anatomy of a bullet so I'm not COMPLETELY unversed in this, but I'm a web designer, not a gun smith. :) Rest assured that I NEVER treat live ammo(correct term that time) like a toy.

            Thanks alot guys you solved a small puzzle that I've been sitting on for 5 years.


            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I need some help from you gun people.

              I don't think I'd want to sit on those for five minutes, much less five years!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                Those are much older than 5 years.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                  Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
                  Those are much older than 5 years.
                  I was trying to make a joke about the shape of the bullets and the act of literally sitting on them for 5 years but obviously it fell flat on its face.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                    I tripped over a half buried Garand Clip back in Kansas..hurt a bit, but it was a good find for my wall of stuff.
                    The American Resistance Movement: Defending the nation from tyranny since 1776.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                      Given their age and the corrosion around the primer, I would be VERY careful handling them. Personally, I'd take it to my local sheriff and have them dispose of it because old ammunition is not always very stable. It all depends on how it was stored by your grandad, but there is visible corrosion around the primer in your picture, which I personally wouldn't consider safe.
                      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

                      - Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                        Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                        I was trying to make a joke about the shape of the bullets and the act of literally sitting on them for 5 years but obviously it fell flat on its face.
                        It wasn't a complete flop, I lol'd.
                        sigpic
                        I'm Back.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                          It's just old ammo. Don't go and chamber it into a rifle and expect anything fantastic, and don't start tapping the primer with anything, but don't worry too much about them suddenly exploding for no reason. Buddies and I were guarding an ancient ammo dump in Afghanistan, and out of boredom we began chucking old, rusty-ass 30mm rounds at a large boulder a good distance away to try and make them go boom. No dice, any of them.

                          Cherish it as you were already doing, as a gift from your grandfather. It's a small piece of history you can hold in your hands.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                            Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                            It's just old ammo. Don't go and chamber it into a rifle and expect anything fantastic, and don't start tapping the primer with anything, but don't worry too much about them suddenly exploding for no reason. Buddies and I were guarding an ancient ammo dump in Afghanistan, and out of boredom we began chucking old, rusty-ass 30mm rounds at a large boulder a good distance away to try and make them go boom. No dice, any of them.

                            Cherish it as you were already doing, as a gift from your grandfather. It's a small piece of history you can hold in your hands.
                            I cannot tell you how much that made my day. Memories...
                            "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I need some help from you gun people.

                              First thing that came to mind when I saw the clip, ammo configuration, and age was also the M1 Garrand, but I guess that has been said.

                              If you're really worried about it I suppose you could ask someone who handloads their own ammo and have them try to remove the powder from the round for you before reassembling it. Not really sure if that can be done since I don't know too many handloaders and they generally like to put propellant in the round to fire it off. If it can be done then you'll have 8 really cool 'duds' that show off rounds from 'the rifle that won the great war'.
                              My sanity is not in question...
                              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.


                              Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.



                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X