the Android thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Android thread

i've decided to get an android phone this fall.. maybe a motorola sholes, maybe something else.... anyway... figured android deserved it's own thread for people to share cool apps or rumors about phones coming out or whatever...

stumbled onto this one this morning.. seems cool.. not something you'll use everyday, but... still 'nice to have'

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6znyx0gjb4[/media]

Re: the Android thread

Woh! That is SO cool! That settles it. My next phone WILL have Android. No doubt about it. I can't wait to get one. I sure hope that Motorola Sholes comes to T-Mobile, but I may be stuck with the MyTouch for now. Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64_16K2e08[/media]
      Layar. Augmented reality browser. Uses the camera, gps and internet to download and overlay any information you want. Check the video out. And yes, it works in the US. I have it on my G1.

Comment

Buy Motorola and help my family. :) I have family that works for Motorola. Great for Profit sharing.

Comment

Quick question. To do all the fun mods and such for an Android phone, can I do it all through Windows (whether XP or Vista), or do I need to have Linux on hand to get fancy with it? Android is totally open source, right?

To do the custom interfaces (like yours, Ferris), is it just a simple matter of plugging into a USB port and transferring files?

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            Quick question. To do all the fun mods and such for an Android phone, can I do it all through Windows (whether XP or Vista), or do I need to have Linux on hand to get fancy with it? Android is totally open source, right?

To do the custom interfaces (like yours, Ferris), is it just a simple matter of plugging into a USB port and transferring files?
            The Android operating system that runs on the phone was developed by Google. Google has implemented easy to use synchronization software geared towards users of the Google services. But there is also support for Exchange and other Outlook based calendar types(ICAL support).

Many users today prefers Bluetooth for file transfer from and to the device. Also most Android devices today supports WLAN wich can serve your needs for file transfers. In short it does not matter whether you favor Linux or Windows. The Android phone will serve you good on both platforms.

I'm a Java developer by profession and the Android phone uses Java as the programming language. It is very easy to develop on and I hope it is going to gain enough market momentum to be a great success. So far it is looking promising.
            --
            VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Sweet. It sounds really flexible!

Comment

Warmonger, if you're talking about getting root and developer access to get custom firmware and themes and such on your phone, you can do it from any OS you want. Hell, even mac users can do it now.

As far as custom firmware and themes, once you've got root access on your phone, its a simple matter of transferring the file to your micro-sd card, rebooting the phone into recovery mode, and applying the update. very simple, very quick to do.

Comment

Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
                  Buy Motorola and help my family. :) I have family that works for Motorola. Great for Profit sharing.
                  I think there is a Motorola Android coming out for Verizon this Fall...I am waiting to upgrade my Wife's phone till then... Let her be the guinea pig... ;-)

But if Panzer says it's good..It's good...
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

CyanogenMod.com

Need I say more. At least, for the G1.
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

http://www.nebudroid.com/videos.htm
                      for the win.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this on Verizon.

My concern is whether I can get at my IMAP mail accounts. (Blackberry support for IMAP is available but very unsophisticated.) Are there any good IMAP clients for Android?
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

i'm not entirely sure if the integrated mail services on the phone have IMAP included, but I can look into it and get back to you on it.

Comment

Thanks, Ferris.

IMAP provides some advantages over POP3:

Server-side storage. You can read your mail from multiple clients. I can read my home and office mail from either location, or on the road. (This is just the folders. The address book requires a different service, such as LDAP, if you want it kept server-side.)

Browsing of message parts without requirement that the parts be downloaded. For low-resource clients like a cell phone, this is essential, as you don't want to download megabyte-plus attachments just to skim through the messages.

Multiple folders. Not just a single Inbox. (Alas, the protocol only notifies of new mail on the one folder, and the client must still periodically poll to find out about new mail in other folders. Blackberries don't do this, so you only find out about new Inbox mail.)

Server-side filtering through the Sieve system. This is where mail can be delivered to other than Inbox. I personally use the old Linux procmail program to do server-side filtering, but the principle of delivery-time filtering is still the same. All my friends' mail goes to their own folders, as does mail for each mailing list I subscribe to (and I subscribe to a LOT of lists).
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              I'm looking forward to this on Verizon.

My concern is whether I can get at my IMAP mail accounts. (Blackberry support for IMAP is available but very unsophisticated.) Are there any good IMAP clients for Android?
                              IMAP works like a charm. I've been using it over SSL / TLS with the HTC Hero to communicate with my workplace (Zimbra server). I just used the built in mail app for that (included with HTC hero). I am unsure if that app is prebundled by Google or not. But I suspect it is.
                              --
                              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...