No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salutes

I was looking at some figurines of video game figures saluting and a comment below the article indicated that the figures were saluting "the American way" (palm down), not "the British way" (palm forward). Curiosity led me to check out this article:

What do you know about saluting that's not captured there?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Salutes

I always took it to show no malice and/or friendship.

Sinistral is used to denote 'left' (used in say.. Biology for the direction of a snail shell opening facing left) and the word Sinister comes from the same root. Hence the use of the right hand, which is generally seen as the weapon hand. And hence the root of the word Sinister and of those interesting remark on the past historical emphasise of 'those that are lefthanded'. Hmm.

As I understand it a British Navy ship had to salute the naval base at Greenwich, London, which was the head of the Admiralty, the Lord High Admiral, and was Queen Elizabeth I palace. And not doing so would lead to a courts martial, as it was 'the head of the Admiralty' and/or the admiralty flag. Unfortunately I cant find anything on this or the guy (who's been running round my head) I was trying to find and was indeed chased by his fellow Brits for failing to do so, chased over the seas, brought to boot and punished. Anyway, my knowledge is very scatty on that and I am not saying I am correct here - just passing on information which I would also be very happy to have someone help clarify.

Anyway. Not necessarily to do with salutes, I'll leave that link till last as it seems to play up with my explorer - so warning on that but it is informative: some other historical stuff.

You may find the above most interesting for where phrases such as 'son of a gun' and 'snotty' come from :)
    Ever wondered why the football team of Portsmouth have a cresent moon and star? And other flags to fire salutes to.
    Finally this link, which is informative, I think, and the best I found - but like I said messes up my Explorer but worked fine on Firefox. So copy what you like and go if you're on Explorer.

However, as said the best informative one I found on saluting. I tried to find cases of courts martial for not saluting when leaving port, saluting the flag, etc but couldn't but I hope this helps and reminded me just how much the British Navy has steeped history throughout cultures, not only its own.

That Wiki page could do with - alot- of changing. It's not that in depth academically rigorous.

But I found it hard to research and would need alot of time to do so I think, considering the history of such a 'hail'.

Thanks for the great question :)

EDIT: You got me into it now :) Here is (and are 5 pages specifying 'gun salute' but read the other bits like dipping the colours and so on. All that part start on page 39. A good read and informative, with alot of historical context) from one book I found which I think you will find of interest:
    Last edited by Taip3n; 09-06-2009, 10:39 AM.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed